Post your Work Experience Places (1 Viewer)

alan7948

HSC
Whoever is doing work experience this year post where you are going.

I am working at Sydney Airport

bettina44

HSC
i went to dinosaur designs,they make jewellery.ahh had to cut 1000 pieces of wire and clean,moisture and polish about 1000 bangles and by the end of the week my hand was killing me.but it was worth it i got 200 bucks worth of jewellery.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I did my work experience in a preschool/child care center

HSC
qantas flight training..

in response to the first, i actually got to have an airside tour of the airport :)

so what exactly are you doing at the airport ?

edit: i did mine back in april-may

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Work Experience is quite difficult in a rural area such as mine. There is mechanics, and stuff to do around a business, that's about it.... So, therefore I have a job. I'm still only in year 10 but I have to work at KFC (shame) lol. I suppose it's good experience and develops my skills further....

:)

HSC
bettina44 said:
i went to dinosaur designs,they make jewellery.ahh had to cut 1000 pieces of wire and clean,moisture and polish about 1000 bangles and by the end of the week my hand was killing me.but it was worth it i got 200 bucks worth of jewellery.
did they give you the jewlerry, or did you 'borrow' it? :rolleyes:

HSC
alan7948 said:
Whoever is doing work experience this year post where you are going.

I am working at Sydney Airport
I was under the impression that you can't get work experience at 'Sydney Airport' the business unless you got work exp from the airline management that worked within Sydney Airport building.

Took me 3months to get my work experience processed at qantas..painfully slow

alan7948

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
qantas flight training..

in response to the first, i actually got to have an airside tour of the airport :)

so what exactly are you doing at the airport ?

edit: i did mine back in april-may
wow i called qantas and they said they didnt do that flight training anymore.

I am working at the airport as ground support (Check In, Baggage Enquiry, Helping on Aircraft) for a major airline (whose name i prefer not to disclose)

little-fongie

HSC
My sister went to an accoutning firm on Pitt St - she was paid 100 bucks!
I went to a preschool..very tiring..but fun

HSC
alan7948 said:
wow i called qantas and they said they didnt do that flight training anymore.

I am working at the airport as ground support (Check In, Baggage Enquiry, Helping on Aircraft) for a major airline (whose name i prefer not to disclose)
yeah..i thought so coz when i called sydney airport..the business that manages the actual airport, they said they had no work experience places..

i had tried qantas first..and i ended up being really lucky coz i was given the number to the general manager who i called and told me that he would make a placement available :) haha..so yeah.. really great time at qantas..not jsut flight training but also emergency procedures, sim rides and a day with an instructor who did the airside tour..got to go inside the cockpit of a 744 !!!

also tried calling air services australia to see if i could get a placement at the control tower which wouldve been interesting nevertheless..

anyway..have fun at the airport..it'll be a really great experience..

robot rabbit

HSC
I got a place at K-Zone.

But does anyone know of any law firms with work experience placements?

lovenotwar

HSC
Did mine at the Australian Museum (sydney) last year.

Don't even wish to work in that area but I really enjoyed it, I recommend it to anyone =]

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
I dont even want to go to Work Experience. It sounds so boring! and I dont like talking to strangers. But I guess I'll have to do it for my future.

do you have to do a report or something at work experience?

I really dont want to do work experience! Are the people mean? Do you get to rest? Do you have to really do work or can you just watch?

HSC
nerdsforever said:
I dont even want to go to Work Experience. It sounds so boring! and I dont like talking to strangers. But I guess I'll have to do it for my future.

I really dont want to do work experience! Are the people mean? Do you get to rest? Do you have to really do work or can you just watch?
we're doing an assignment on it..

its really fun..missing out on a really great opportunity

alan7948

HSC
nerdsforever said:

we have to keep a diary but the whole week is fun and just a bludhe (i hear...)

little-fongie

HSC
nerdsforever said:

lol im also gonna answer your post

Depending on what you choose it is pretty boring and a waste of time BUT you will find later on its really good - espcially if you, like me, don't have a job but apply for cadetships/scholarships and need something to talk about. You can say work experience (even if its not in the career you want to pursue) gave you customer service skills, effective communication skills, leadership, teamwork and greater responsibility etc.

Also depending where you go might determine how nice the people are and the workload - if you go to a preschool like me there isnt much you arent qualified to do so you pretty much work (play games) all day but its fun and the staff/kids are nice - my friend went to a vet clinic, she just sat around all day (very boring) or watched an operation (optional) or followed the nurse or cleaned yucky stuff, and i dont think the staff were a pleasure to be around.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
law firms?

considering mostly uni students do cadetships, you'll probably be photocopying pages and pages. i seriously doubt you'll do anything that is catually relevant with law.

of course, i could be wrong, but thats just from what i've seen of law firms...

also try csiro....i know that when you do work experience there they do hands-on stuff with you..
Have you actually worked inside a law firm though?

It'd probably depend also on what tier and location of the firm. In year 10, i applied and was accepted into Marsdens Law firm (Parramatta branch: they have now relocated to Liverpool) and while i did do photocopying and filing (your menial office tasks) i was also involved in some very 'hands-on' activities. To the best of my recollection, i took phone calls, greeted clients, visited court with solicitors and was on good terms with the senior associate.

Marsdens is a medium to small firm and it was a great experience that i can not recommend enough. I wrote a thank you letter that was acknowledged by the partner and owner John Marsden (now passed away RIP) and thought that the small-firm commitment to clients really resonated with some of my own philosophies.

Anywho, don't discount law firms esp. the smaller ones if you are after work experience. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the good etiquette of those same workers which may inspire you later (as it has for me) to enter the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)