English Trials (1 Viewer)

DutchessDeluded

HSC
Hey i was just wunderin if any1 has dun their english trials yet and if they did wat texts wer in there and if it was hard at all??? plz and thank u:eek:

smushieex

HSC
I did my trials last term.
My school bought the english trial paper. I must say, it was quite a challenging paper. The multiple choice particularly was the hardest I've seen.
Even our head of english said it wasn't an easy paper at all.
o_o
depends on your school though..

rolror88

HSC
N/A
^ Same, our school bought the paper too, and it m/c was very difficult-like there were 2 really close answers, and you'd have to pick the most correct one. From memory, the types of text in ours was a DVD brochure/promotion, poem, website.

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
yea i finished my trials today. HOORAH.

I'm pretty sure that every school does a different trial exam but from what i've read a couple of schools did the same one.

Golden compass dvd promotion anyone?

Anyway the two text types i had to do were a speech and this other one about a childhood memory or something.

It was a pretty easy exam.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
DALiE. (: said:

I'm pretty sure that every school does a different trial exam but from what i've read a couple of schools did the same one.

Anyway the two text types i had to do were a speech and this other one about a childhood memory or something.

That's the one we sat last term. lol

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
It seems heaps of schools are doing that one. Mine did that too, DVD, TV transcript, Poem, Website. Plus write a speech and short story.
Some of the multiple choice were stupid! Like commemorate? Not even IN the text, and all answers applied. :/
Merh. I always get good marks in long responses, but multiple choice I find impossible! The reason why is like english is because any answer can be correct if you justify it. No-can-do with mc.

speedofsound

HSC
Mine did the Golden Compass DVD promotion, poem, TV script and an autobiography I think. Then we had a short answer section on a pamphlet about donating blood to the Red Cross. Lastly, a letter to the editor and a short story (based on a childhood memory lololol).

I found the letter pretty easy, but my story sucked hard. And I always struggle with multiple choice, there's just so much doubt in your mind about your answers.

smushieex

HSC
My school had a printed ad for Skittles. It had like a bungee jumping cow. T_T
Then we had to write up a radio interview and some other random creative writing thing.

speedofsound

HSC
Deer said:
Some of the multiple choice were stupid! Like commemorate? Not even IN the text, and all answers applied. :/
Exactly! And that one about the meaning of trepidation, it could be both fear and concern. Argh.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
speedofsound said:
Exactly! And that one about the meaning of trepidation, it could be both fear and concern. Argh.
UGH yeah. ;_; I put fear, but they were concered too. :( And I remember there was one that was both an alliteration and assonance, and you had to pick one ! And also in the poem, birds could represent any of the answers, flight, freedom, familiarity.......
Ggggggggggg. So many others too. :/

*flails*

Just hope everyone gets around the same mark. Then it won't be so bad. Hopefully the SC isn't so ambiguous.

speedofsound

HSC
Deer said:
UGH yeah. ;_; I put fear, but they were concered too. :( And I remember there was one that was both an alliteration and assonance, and you had to pick one ! And also in the poem, birds could represent any of the answers, flight, freedom, familiarity.......
Ggggggggggg. So many others too. :/

*flails*

Just hope everyone gets around the same mark. Then it won't be so bad. Hopefully the SC isn't so ambiguous.
Yes! "Wayward ward", although I put assonance because I thought it might have been a trick question or something. I think I said freedom for the birds thing, but who knows what it was.

I hope I do alright, but MC always lets me down. SC might be even more ambiguous. o_O

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
speedofsound said:
Yes! "Wayward ward", although I put assonance because I thought it might have been a trick question or something. I think I said freedom for the birds thing, but who knows what it was.

I hope I do alright, but MC always lets me down. SC might be even more ambiguous. o_O

Eep, I put alliteration for that one. Who knows. I put freedom for the bird one too.
*sigh*
When do you find results? Our teachers said about 1 week.

Same, I always think I do ok with multiple choice , because the answers seem right to me, but when I get the results back I'm always dissapointed. :( (like in the UNSW english comp I got a credit)

Ahh well, we can only hope.

speedofsound

HSC
Deer said:
Eep, I put alliteration for that one. Who knows. I put freedom for the bird one too.
*sigh*
When do you find results? Our teachers said about 1 week.

Same, I always think I do ok with multiple choice , because the answers seem right to me, but when I get the results back I'm always dissapointed. :( (like in the UNSW english comp I got a credit)

Ahh well, we can only hope.
I think we'll probably find out results next Thursday, if not Thursday, the week after. Depends on how lazy the English department are feeling. Let us know what some of the answers are if you find out first, yeah? haha

Oh, and the UNSW English comp = one big fail. I got 35/60 lol. I feel your pain, those competitions are always so hard.

Last edited:

DutchessDeluded

HSC
Deer said:
It seems heaps of schools are doing that one. Mine did that too, DVD, TV transcript, Poem, Website. Plus write a speech and short story.
Merh. I always get good marks in long responses, but multiple choice I find impossible! The reason why is like english is because any answer can be correct if you justify it. No-can-do with mc.
yeah i hope mine isnt anything too hard...enligh is the ONE exam im scared at evn though im kinda good cause u never no wats gunna cum in the exam...
so i no it seems lik a stupid question...but how wud u rite a speech??is it true its lik writting an essay??

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
DutchessDeluded said:
yeah i hope mine isnt anything too hard...enligh is the ONE exam im scared at evn though im kinda good cause u never no wats gunna cum in the exam...
so i no it seems lik a stupid question...but how wud u rite a speech??is it true its lik writting an essay??
No... depending on the subject matter of the speech, it can be a lot more personal and engaging than an essay. You'd use lots of emotive language in a speech to connect with your audience, whereas you wouldn't use a whole lot in an essay normally.

DutchessDeluded

HSC
speedofsound said:
No... depending on the subject matter of the speech, it can be a lot more personal and engaging than an essay. You'd use lots of emotive language in a speech to connect with your audience, whereas you wouldn't use a whole lot in an essay normally.

OOHHHH...yeah that makes sense..thank u..
an also...wat bout ur maths an science trials???

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah writing a speech, the main thing to remember is greeting and thankyou at end, but doing that alone and just writing the rest like an essay will only get you band 5 at most. Try to give an interesting into, begin with a rhetorical question or analogy or something, then intergrate your greeting. Try to engage your audience throughout, make it more personal, and specific to audience age/purpose blah. I just use a lot of rhetorical questions lol.

Ugh, for science I thought I did ok, only got 81% though :( Erghhh. My experiment designing failed pretty hard. I'm ok with knowledge though (which is good I suppose..), so that stuff should be easily fixed.

Maths, just remember formulas from yr 9. Its easy when you study.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
DutchessDeluded said:
Hey i was just wunderin if any1 has dun their english trials yet and if they did wat texts wer in there and if it was hard at all??? plz and thank u:eek:
Texts. Umm.

Golden Compass advertisement, LOL.
Mr Bean.
Some random story about some old guy's childhood.
Peter Strzynecki poem.
Beyond Blue website.

I can't remember anything else sorry :)

DutchessDeluded

HSC
yeah my teacher is always tellin us not to rite cliche things...u get better marks with the uther sort of techniques..

81%???an ur not happy??wow...yeah dw experiments armt always the best...we 1nc got 1 bout hybrib cars...totally failed THAT..lool really cause if u think bout it all the subjects related so if u no knowledge u shud b fine...an maths well thats my weakest subject so i dnt no how i shud go..

thanks anyway..

minttey

HSC
DALiE. (: said:

umm wat was the speech about?? and 4 wat ages was it aimed at?? formal or informal??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)