English School Cert. TOMORROW (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
There's not too much on english so i just wanted to share what i'd done in preperation for the exam and to ask question.

I learnt what the following mean:
Prose - informal language that is like everyday speech
Metaphor - a comparison of two things saying one is the other
Simile - a comparison of two objects using like or as
Tautology - using more words than necessary to convey a point
Euphemism - using polite words to cover up something socially frowned upon saying

I know the following text structures:
Interviews - need banter between both parties
Narrative - Orientation, Complication, Series of steps, Climax and Resolution
Recount - Orientation, series of steps, conclusion
Essay & Speech- Intro., Body, Conclusion
Newspaper article - short, snappy, to the point

I learnt some big words (that i think are big) and how to use semi-colons, colons and direct speech because my teacher told us its the only way you can get a band 6 in the extended responses.

Some of my big words:
- Inconsequential
-Verbose
-Egotistical

And now my questions:
1. Have you prepared any ideas for short stories in case it comes up?
2. What are some of your big words?

:hammer: Year 11 2009 :hammer:
English Advanced
Maths
Chemistry
Business Studies
Modern History
Studies of religion
Information & process'

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Could you please explain use of colons? You mean, to get a band 6 we have to intergrate them into our extended responses? My teacher has never told us that..

For the short story, I have a 2 main story ideas, one that I wrote in my trial which was pretty good (well, got 19/20) and another just something I thought up the night before my trial (but could not be used IN the actual trial), which will be pretty easy to write well.

As for big words, hmm, let me think..
Supercilious
Superfluous
Inexplicable
Poignant
Enjambment (poetry technique used in free verse.. sounds pretty suave :p )
Ahborrence

Probably a million others that I can't think of right now..

Brontecat

HSC
my teacher said that its what they expect in band six 'that they expect everything is done at a higher level'

Colons:
1. The colon [:] is used to introduce a strong pause within a sentence.
2. It is the longest pause in a sentence short of the full stop.
3. The colon may be used to introduce a list
4. It separates clauses which could be separate sentences, but which are linked by some relationship in meaning. e.g. My brother likes oranges: my sister hates them.
5. The colon is also used before a long quotation or a speech:
Speaking at Caesar's funeral, Anthony addresses the crowd: "Friends, Romans, countrymen ..."
6. It can also be used before a clause which explains the previous statement:
The school is highly regarded: academic standards are high, the staff are pleasant, and the students enjoy going there.

i wouldn't worry too much about the english - you look liek you enjoy it and are happy to put in the effort - Good Luck :)

Brontecat

HSC
a more basic summary of colons and semi-colons

A colon is used when the previous part of the sentence is finished, and the rest refers back to it. Eg - "There are some things you shouldn't do: using a semi-colon here, for example."

The semi-colon is used when the development of the sentence is continuing. Eg - "We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing."

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for that! I knew some basic uses of it, but not in so much depth, so thankyou :uhhuh:
Yes, I do quite well in english, but as I've been whinging about a lot on here, MC gets me all the time. :angry:

Brontecat

HSC
i'm exactly the same i normally get full marks or 1 off in the extended responses - but i just die in the multiple choice - it's just too confusing and too skills based, not what i know:angry:

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
For me, English = die :(

Especially in the creative extended responses - I take too long to figure out what to write. And in the multiple choice...I keep changing my right answer to a wrong one ><"

gella

HSC
for trials, i went heaps good in MC. 40/45, top of my grade :D
ext. response i got 20/20
but when it came to short answers, thats where i lost a lot of marks; stupid marks at that :S so hopefully i'll go good with them tomorrow..

Brontecat

HSC
for english maybe you should get some stuff in your head that you could write about - think about your past experiences or stuff that you wish had or would happen that's what i'm doing

i hate the mc too - i do the exact same thing right answers become wrong

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
I told myself I wouldn't, but I'm actually getting a little nervous for the English exam. :( It's just that it influences what advanced class I'll be in next year, I need to stay at the top so I can keep an eye on my main competition. :p

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T ASK FOR A FEATURE ARTICLE!!!!!!!

Dod0

HSC
I hope it's like write a story not a speech or feature article >.>

suzlee

HSC
speedofsound said:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T ASK FOR A FEATURE ARTICLE!!!!!!!

Somebody's getting excited~!

I just hope we don't get an editorial, any type of article or interview...

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Urgh, one of my English extended responses was writing about life experiences o_o and the short answer was about a bungee jumping cow >< If there's a short story, I'll write about Vietnam if possible because I'm cheap and I can just use my history stuff ^^

Crazynesss

HSC
x jiim said:
Urgh, one of my English extended responses was writing about life experiences o_o and the short answer was about a bungee jumping cow >< If there's a short story, I'll write about Vietnam if possible because I'm cheap and I can just use my history stuff ^^
For my trials we had to write about a past childhood experience. 20 marks short story.

DoctorPie

HSC
That was the same as my English trial! Further proof that my school doesn't write its exams internally.

The start of the exam was about the Golden Compass, right? Then a script for the Mr Bean movie?

Last thing I remember abour it was a story about a snake that turned out to be a hen. o_O

Crazynesss

HSC
DoctorPie said:
That was the same as my English trial! Further proof that my school doesn't write its exams internally.

The start of the exam was about the Golden Compass, right? Then a script for the Mr Bean movie?

Last thing I remember abour it was a story about a snake that turned out to be a hen. o_O
Yes, that. I got a shocking 28/45 for the MC. God, I sucked.

key0hh

HSC
Well, good thing this is the last time ever you'll be doing MC in English :)

Somnolence

HSC
speedofsound said:
I told myself I wouldn't, but I'm actually getting a little nervous for the English exam. :( It's just that it influences what advanced class I'll be in next year, I need to stay at the top so I can keep an eye on my main competition. :p

Don't worry about feature articles, they basically involve a format similar to a regular news article, except they don't report breaking news; they are designed to cover topics of interest. They mainly involve exploring a subject in depth. For example, writing a feature story on the fashion choices put on display by the celebrities attending the oscars, or on coping with rebellious children, etc. When in doubt, I just think of a trivial subject and write an article about that. The range of topics which can be covered by a feature article is quite broad.

Other than that, just use good grammar, good spelling and good punctuation and you should be right.

Last edited:

xV1P3R

HSC
I dislike Mc in general, especially in English. It makes it seem like UNSW English Competition.
Well, good thing this is the last time ever you'll be doing MC in English :)
So does HSC have no MC?

key0hh

HSC
Crazynesss said:
Yes, that. I got a shocking 28/45 for the MC. God, I sucked.
LOL! Not too bad, I got 24/45 for that. D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)