Subject help, please! (1 Viewer)

loveandpeace

HSC
I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on the selection of my subjects for year 11 next year. I really don't know much about the whole scaling thing, so I have no idea which subjects are better than others in order to gain a higher UAI.

I'm studying through OTEN, so I'm not sure if that will make a whole lot of difference. The subjects I'm considering are:

English Advanced
Ancient History
Senior Science (I'm not a huge fan of science, but figure it'd be good to have some extra knowledge in the area)
General Mathematics (Do not like Math, but need it as a prerequisite for the Uni course I want)
Children's Services (VET)
PD/H/PE (I could be wrong, but I did read somewhere this isn't a good scaling one? I like health, fitness, etc so I would rather do this over other choices)

I'm probably going to stick with the subjects anyway, as I want to do something I'm interested in rather than subjects that just rank higher. Even so, I would still appreciate any help you guys can offer regarding my choices.

Thanks!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
If you dont like maths or science then don't do it. Most uni have required subjects like 2U math and any of the three sciences (bio/phy and chem).

Don't do subjects due to scaling. If you perform well in every subject you will be rewarded. Alot of the kids attempt to do subject that are beyond their ability and ultimately they screw their subjects up. The HSC system is designed to appeal to students interms of subject choice and difficulty.SO DO THE SUBJECT YOU LIKE.

HSC
loveandpeace said:
General Mathematics (Do not like Math, but need it as a prerequisite for the Uni course I want)
What uni course has General Maths as a prerequisite? It's usually 2U as assumed knowledge as far as i know.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Your subjects according to scaling (best to worst)
English Advanced
Ancient History
PDHPE
General Mathematics
Senior Science

Now I'm not completely sure about Children's services but I don't think it scales well

Good luck

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
kevinx2 said:
What uni course has General Maths as a prerequisite? It's usually 2U as assumed knowledge as far as i know.
Some unis say any two units of maths, mostly in courses with a light load of maths.

byakuya kuchiki

HSC
I think all unis would want their applicants to have 2 unit (not general) maths as one of their HSC subjects (well at least all the prestigious unis ie, UNSW, SYDU, ANU, etc)

The vast bulk of the general maths content has already been covered in the year 10 Advanced maths course so i don't really think that general maths would be of much use in uni

Year 11 subjects:

English EXT 1, Maths EXT1, Modern History, Business Studies, Physics, Chemistry

speedofsound

HSC
theshortykatt said:
Do the subjects you enjoy and are good at.
Dont worry about scaling or how it will affect your UAI.
Just do well in your subjects and you should go well.

in saying that too, my school made maths compulsory as maths is generally needed in any aspect of life out of school.
Not necessarily. Especially if you wanna do something like journalism or law.

loveandpeace

HSC
Thanks guys, your info helped a lot. I've decided against Senior Science now though, I'm doing a science because there's no other subjects on offer through OTEN I'm interested in and I got pretty good marks in science this year, so I've opted for Biology.

And with the maths, I want to study primary teaching. All the Uni's I have looked at say either general mathematics or 2 unit maths. I've only been looking at Victorian universities though, so I don't know what other states require. And no, I'm not really fussed about the 'prestigious' uni's, as long as they'll accept me and it's in an area I want, I don't care what Uni I go to lol. I'll achieve the same result in the end.

Oh and that Children's Services one, through OTEN the majority of the VET courses don't contribute to the scaling. I'm just doing it because I'm interested.

But thanks again for the help!

boris

Banned
HSC
I have never seen a Uni course with general maths as a prerequisite. 2U maths yes, but general isn't even included because its like yr10 shit and if you dont know it, dont bother with life....

loveandpeace

HSC
If you scroll down on this website to the prerequisites, it says "Units 1-4: two units of general mathematics or mathematical methods." That's probably indcating toward the VCE though, so I don't know if their math ranks/subjects are different to the HSC

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/coursefinder/local/2009/Bachelor-of-Education.4152.html

And don't bother with 'life' if one doesn't know year 10 maths? Bit of a ridiculous statement, don't you think? lol

Sure, I'm guessing you'd probably think La Trobe is a 'lesser' University - which I've gathered some people have the opinion from some things I've read online. But it'll be close to home soon and I hold family more important than getting into a Uni that'll require me to do a subject I simply don't want to do. If I can get away with doing general maths, I'm doing it.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
oh lol la trobe

ok it looks like it's describing the prereqs for victoria, so maybe you can email them and see what this translates to in NSW

id keep gen maths. even if it doesnt turn out to be a prereq, i think all teachers should at least know how to count their toes

boris

Banned
HSC
oh lollolol la trobe.

But yeah general maths is a prereq in that course. I did only say that i had never seen it as a prereq.

And yes, if you cant handle yr10 maths you should kill yourself lol, my retarded brother bilo is basically retarded and passed yr10 maths :confused:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
that sped passed english too, 64% fucked if i know how. people i went to school with were less socially retarded and they didnt even get 64%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)