subject selection advice (1 Viewer)

soporific

HSC
hey guys,

i'm sorta new to BOS. well not really since i've always kinda been a lurker ...

at the moment, i am juggling between taking modern history or bio.

since i'm changing to schools (nsghs next year) i *think* i might be able to change my subject choice if there are spaces available, permitting me to do so.

so yer (>.<) any advice would be much appreciated!

also out of curiousity, which one scales higher? i know you're going to probably state that scaling doesn't really matter.

i am aware of that, thanks :D

but since i am having a REALLY difficult time making a final decision about these two subjects, scaling might just be the final factor which determines my choice in the end... because at the moment i really find them both equally as interesting and enjoyable... (first impressions anyway)

oh and i can't do both... i already have enough units so that suggestion is probably not applicable to me at pesent.

thanks again,

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
soporific said:
hey guys,

since i'm changing to schools (nsghs next year) i *think* i might be able to chance my subject choice if there are spaces available, permitting me to do so.

also out of curiousity, which one scales higher? i know you're going to probably state that scaling doesn't really matter.

but since i am having a REALLY difficult time making a final decision about these two subjects, scaling might just be the final factor which determines my choice in the end... because at the moment i really find them both equally as interesting and enjoyable... (first impressions anyway)

oh and i can't do both... i already have enough units so that suggestion is probably not applicable to me at pesent.

thanks again,
Have you had a look at any of the textbook of each subject? HSC subject selection is extremely important meaning that it is not something to overlook (not that you will).

In terms of scaling, Modern History has a higher scaling than Biology only by a small margin.

I am doing Biology at the moment. I think it is a great subject. It is not challenging at all but there is a great volume of contents that you need to go through. On the other hand, I am not entirely sure about Modern History. For Biology, you will find that Preliminary course is extremely boring and irrelevant (we learn about plants and all the other evoluntary crap, I don't hate it but...)

I suggest you have a look at some of the textbooks from library. You will see what you are more into.

HSC
soporific said:
hey guys,

since i'm changing to schools (nsghs next year) i *think* i might be able to change my subject choice if there are spaces available, permitting me to do so.

thanks again,
namu said pretty much what is relevant to what youre asking..but ill just add tihs

bio:
biology is th study of living oganisms, life rocesses and interactios between organisms and their environment..prelim courses incorporates th sudy of the mechanism and systems living things use to obtain, transport and use mterial for teir own growth and repair, biotic and abitoic features ofthe nvironment and the rlationships between and interdependence of organisms in an ecosystem, the evolution of life o earth, and the effects of global changes ondiverty of ustralia biota during te frmaton ofthe stralian cntinent

Hsc course bilds upon prelim. examines the pocesses and sructures hat plants and animals use tmaintain aconstant internal environment ad the wayin which the nheritance of characteristics are transmitted from generation to generation.

you learn

Prelim
  • a local ecosystem
  • patterns in nature
  • life on earth
  • evlution of astralian biota
HSC Course:
  • Maintaing a balance
  • Blueprint of life
  • Search for better health
  • Option topic
mod hist:
prelim course focses on the key scial, economic and poltiical chagnesof the C19th and C20th that have helepd shape te modern wrld. this is achieve d through a investgation of depth studies and acore stdy onthe wold at the beinning of the twentieth centruey. The Hsc course uilds onthe knowledge ad skillsdeveoped in te prelminary course to invesigate acore sty on world war 1. a twentieh centure national study, a study of a significant personality in the 20th C and an inernational studyin peace and conflict.

prelim (depejds on each school)
  • chinese government and tianamen square
  • the reign of terror in france
Historical investigation: modern revolutions
Core Study: the world at the beginning of the 20th C

HSC
Core Study - World War 1 1914-1919
National Study: Russia and the Soviet Union 1917 - 1941
Personality: Depends..
International studies in peace and conflict: The Cold War 1945-1991

sorry about the typos and that but i touch typed this at like the speed of light haha :party:

anyway hope that helps

btw: i live in stratty too ^^

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
xXmuffin0manXx said:
namu said pretty much what is relevant to what youre asking..but ill just add tihs

bio:
biology is th study of living oganisms, life rocesses and interactios between organisms and their environment..prelim courses incorporates th sudy of the mechanism and systems living things use to obtain, transport and use mterial for teir own growth and repair, biotic and abitoic features ofthe nvironment and the rlationships between and interdependence of organisms in an ecosystem, the evolution of life o earth, and the effects of global changes ondiverty of ustralia biota during te frmaton ofthe stralian cntinent

Hsc course bilds upon prelim. examines the pocesses and sructures hat plants and animals use tmaintain aconstant internal environment ad the wayin which the nheritance of characteristics are transmitted from generation to generation.

you learn

Prelim
  • a local ecosystem
  • patterns in nature
  • life on earth
  • evlution of astralian biota
HSC Course:
  • Maintaing a balance
  • Blueprint of life
  • Search for better health
  • Option topic
mod hist:
prelim course focses on the key scial, economic and poltiical chagnesof the C19th and C20th that have helepd shape te modern wrld. this is achieve d through a investgation of depth studies and acore stdy onthe wold at the beinning of the twentieth centruey. The Hsc course uilds onthe knowledge ad skillsdeveoped in te prelminary course to invesigate acore sty on world war 1. a twentieh centure national study, a study of a significant personality in the 20th C and an inernational studyin peace and conflict.

prelim (depejds on each school)
  • chinese government and tianamen square
  • the reign of terror in france
Historical investigation: modern revolutions
Core Study: the world at the beginning of the 20th C

HSC
Core Study - World War 1 1914-1919
National Study: Russia and the Soviet Union 1917 - 1941
Personality: Depends..
International studies in peace and conflict: The Cold War 1945-1991

sorry about the typos and that but i touch typed this at like the speed of light haha :party:

anyway hope that helps

btw: i live in stratty too ^^
excellent description of all the things that OP needs to know. Kudos to you.

Crazynesss

HSC
@ muffinman: I assume you're using some crappy keyboard. You had so many typos. @_@

HSC
Crazynesss said:
@ muffinman: I assume you're using some crappy keyboard. You had so many typos. @_@
actually it's a realy good keyboard..
but i was at least touch typing 100wpm or part thereof

but anyway..lol there were quite alot
:haha::haha:

studentcheese

HSC
I'd advise you to do Modern History. In NSGHS, History is more fun than science. (personal opinion). Most girls here don't choose subjects with high scaling - subjects are chosen based on interests. Btw, I think the school has left a few spaces in each subject for new students, so dont worry, you'll definitely get the subjects you want.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Have you had a look at any of the textbook of each subject? HSC subject selection is extremely important meaning that it is not something to overlook (not that you will).

In terms of scaling, Modern History has a higher scaling than Biology only by a small margin.

I am doing Biology at the moment. I think it is a great subject. It is not challenging at all but there is a great volume of contents that you need to go through. On the other hand, I am not entirely sure about Modern History. For Biology, you will find that Preliminary course is extremely boring and irrelevant (we learn about plants and all the other evoluntary crap, I don't hate it but...)

I suggest you have a look at some of the textbooks from library. You will see what you are more into.
yeah i agree. lyonamou always has sound advice =]. you may have like a general idea about what the course is about but unless you find out exactly what some of the content is (i.e. find textbook) , can you really judge effectively if you are going to enjoy/achieve in the subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)