Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Guide to selecting your HSC Courses

HSC

Re: Guide to selecting your HSC Courses

I'm not too sure about the amount of English I should do. How does English Ext. 1 compare to Advanced English in terms of difficulty?

HSC

it's difficult to compare imo since the work and analysis in one is quite different from the other

certainly the workload for ext 1 is quite substantial for a one unit subject

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by iEatOysters View Post
    I'm not too sure about the amount of English I should do. How does English Ext. 1 compare to Advanced English in terms of difficulty?
    Depends what module you do. I got a module where it was very easy, and I breezed past in the year.

So really, if you like English, take it - and try it. It's a much easier subject than Advanced if you're into that sort of thinking, it's more... what uni English is. Less formulaic. More... literary.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

HSC
    Uni Grad

Hi,
    I am a student that is choosing my subjects today. I dont like biology because of the preliminary stuff in biology such as ecology, evolution etc. Otherwise its ok. Also i like economics because it is fun and it has mathematic formulas and i ejoy maths. So is it ok for me to pick economics instead of biology knowing that i hate the senior science part of biology. Can you guys please tell me how much percent of economics is maths (formulas etc). also economics isnt scaled lower and i enjoy it. Thanks

HSC

Yes, you can pick Econ over Biology. And you shouldn't consider scaling in your decision.

And iirc, there's not a lot of maths in HSC Economics.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

HSC

Um hi there!
    im a yr 10 student and will be soon choosing my electives for next yr-year 11.
    i currently have no defined idea of what i will be doing and the subjects that are offered.
    Could someone possibly give me a list of subjects that are/were available for them when they had to choose their subjects?
    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ton5698 View Post
    Um hi there!
    im a yr 10 student and will be soon choosing my electives for next yr-year 11.
    i currently have no defined idea of what i will be doing and the subjects that are offered.
    Could someone possibly give me a list of subjects that are/were available for them when they had to choose their subjects?
    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    ^ PM'ed.
    a r t s / l a w @ u s y d ( I )
    government and international relations + english

"plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.''

Cadet
    HSC

Just like to say thanks for this OP!
    Am in yr 10 now and have a vague idea of what to do (i had no idea before)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by akkatracker View Post
    Just like to say thanks for this OP!
    Am in yr 10 now and have a vague idea of what to do (i had no idea before)
    What subjects are you thinking of doing for your senior years then?

HSC

Hi I wanted to ask whether I should take Modern, Ancient or Extension History. So far these are the subjects I know I'm taking next year:

3U English
    2U Maths (maybe general if i find 2U hard)
    Society and Culture
    Visual Arts

I'm not sure if I'm going to take any Sciences but I was considering bio or earth and enviro. I plan on working in the media, arts, literature field like journalism so are there any subjects you'd recommend?
    Last edited by tofusenpai; 15 May 2015 at 7:28 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by tofusenpai View Post
    Hi I wanted to ask whether I should take Modern, Ancient or Extension History. So far these are the subjects I know I'm taking next year:

3U English
    2U Maths (maybe general if i find 2U hard)
    Society and English
    Visual Arts

I'm not sure if I'm going to take any Sciences but I was considering bio or earth and enviro. I plan on working in the media, arts, literature field like journalism so are there any subjects you'd recommend?
    FYI: It's Society and Culture not Society and English

I think SAC is a great choice for a career in journalism- i think there may be a unit about media, but i don't do it so i don't remember.

You can only do Extension History in Year 12, but you have to be doing Modern or Ancient History in order to take it up. Perhaps Modern History would be better for a career in journalism- but i'd choose whichever interests you more.

Earth and Environmental Science (EES) is a lot like Biology, one of my friends does it, and she says that the content overlaps with the bio course a lot. I don't know what the main difference between the two courses are- perhaps one is more about the environment, and the other about the organism? Dunno!
    tofusenpai likes this.
    Searching for that HD WAM

2017: UNSW Advanced Science (Chemistry)

HSC 2016: Mathematics | English Adv. | Music 2 | Geography | Chemistry | Maths Ext. 1

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird_14 View Post
    FYI: It's Society and Culture not Society and English

I think SAC is a great choice for a career in journalism- i think there may be a unit about media, but i don't do it so i don't remember.

You can only do Extension History in Year 12, but you have to be doing Modern or Ancient History in order to take it up. Perhaps Modern History would be better for a career in journalism- but i'd choose whichever interests you more.

Earth and Environmental Science (EES) is a lot like Biology, one of my friends does it, and she says that the content overlaps with the bio course a lot. I don't know what the main difference between the two courses are- perhaps one is more about the environment, and the other about the organism? Dunno!
    Yep that's what I meant lol I was typing kinda fast haha thanks for correcting me. Would it be too much if I took

3U English
    2U Maths
    2U Society and Culture
    2U Visual Arts
    2U Design and Tech
    2U Ancient or Modern History

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Yep that's what I meant lol I was typing kinda fast haha thanks for correcting me. Would it be too much if I took

3U English
    2U Maths
    2U Society and Culture
    2U Visual Arts
    2U Design and Tech
    2U Ancient or Modern History

Honestly 3 major works will be very stressful ..
    Hows your time management skills?
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD

Individuals have till August 24th to sign up to vote in the postal plebiscite
    Enrol to vote today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

HSC

is all 3 sciences too much work?
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    Honestly 3 major works will be very stressful ..
    Hows your time management skills?
    It depends... what do you mean stressful like can you give an example. Also I don't know what to take off from those subjects my least fav is definitely maths but I want at least a background of it

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Rathin View Post
    is all 3 sciences too much work?
    If you love science it won't be. But if you do take 3 sciences be prepared for a) ALOT of science and b) your assessements to fall at relatively the same time.

HSC 2016: Mathematics | English Adv. | Music 2 | Geography | Chemistry | Maths Ext. 1

HSC

It depends... what do you mean stressful like can you give an example. Also I don't know what to take off from those subjects my least fav is definitely maths but I want at least a background of it
    If you've got 3 projects due at the same time, and all three of your teachers expect that you will progress on each project a little each week, you need to manage your time wisely in order for all three projects to be finished at around the same time.

Let's say for example, you have a design tech project due on Next Monday, and you need to finish writing your portfolio and construction of a lamp. You also have your visual arts major body of work due on Monday and you need to finish typing a report, and a draft of your report for your PIP is due on Tuesday. On top of that, you have an Histoy and English essay due on Wednesday, and a Maths test on Wedneday too.
    Would you be able to cope? Would you be able to manage your time so that on Sunday evening you aren't planning to stay up till 5am trying to finish all these projects? Think wisely, and really ask yourself if you are up to it.
    Perhaps try those subjects containing projects in year 11, because more likely than not, they'll have a similar assessment task to that in year 12. Thats way you'll have a more informed view word what you might be getting yourself into.
    tofusenpai likes this.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

If you've got 3 projects due at the same time, and all three of your teachers expect that you will progress on each project a little each week, you need to manage your time wisely in order for all three projects to be finished at around the same time.

Let's say for example, you have a design tech project due on Next Monday, and you need to finish writing your portfolio and construction of a lamp. You also have your visual arts major body of work due on Monday and you need to finish typing a report, and a draft of your report for your PIP is due on Tuesday. On top of that, you have an Histoy and English essay due on Wednesday, and a Maths test on Wedneday too.
    Would you be able to cope? Would you be able to manage your time so that on Sunday evening you aren't planning to stay up till 5am trying to finish all these projects? Think wisely, and really ask yourself if you are up to it.
    Perhaps try those subjects containing projects in year 11, because more likely than not, they'll have a similar assessment task to that in year 12. Thats way you'll have a more informed view word what you might be getting yourself into.
    People still stayed up till 5am with 2 major works when they weren't due near each other too..
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD

Individuals have till August 24th to sign up to vote in the postal plebiscite
    Enrol to vote today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

HSC

Thinking about this makes me worried I don't think I'll be able to but I don't know what subject to drop from VA, DNT or Society and Culture

HSC

Thinking about this makes me worried I don't think I'll be able to but I don't know what subject to drop from VA, DNT or Society and Culture
    Up to you, don't you have till Term 3 to decide anyway? Even so you can still change your subjects until the end of year 10! Perhaps ask your teachers about what each course is like, or ask other students in your school. It is a worst case scenario up there, but its possible!
    tofusenpai likes this.

HSC

Up to you, don't you have till Term 3 to decide anyway? Even so you can still change your subjects until the end of year 10! Perhaps ask your teachers about what each course is like, or ask other students in your school. It is a worst case scenario up there, but its possible!
    Thanks I will. I'm just trying tp pick my subjects now haha

HSC

If you love science it won't be. But if you do take 3 sciences be prepared for a) ALOT of science and b) your assessements to fall at relatively the same time.
    In a ratio to my subjects..maths 3u, bio,chem,physics, eng adv, legal how much time will all sciences take?
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Rathin View Post
    In a ratio to my subjects..maths 3u, bio,chem,physics, eng adv, legal how much time will all sciences take?
    If you get the science, it won't take too much time to absorb and learn the knowledge thrown at you. However, the exams for sciences tend to fall around the same time, for example this term we had a bio test on Monday, a physics test on Wednesday, and a chem test on Thursday. Don't underestimate English Adv., it's seriously the subject were i spend the most time on, usually writing essays. #thelifeofanenglishstudent

HSC

Thanks I will. I'm just trying tp pick my subjects now haha
    I must have switched the subjects that i wanted to do in Year 11 like 10 times before settling on what i know do. Keep your mind open, and who knows maybe a course will come flying to your head that just works for you :P Gosh im such an optimist.
    tofusenpai likes this.

HSC

I must have switched the subjects that i wanted to do in Year 11 like 10 times before settling on what i know do. Keep your mind open, and who knows maybe a course will come flying to your head that just works for you Gosh im such an optimist.
    Haha thanks ^-^

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information