How to study for the School Certificate? (question) - Science (1 Viewer)

jadenmaccas

HSC
This is my first post. I am having trouble studying for science as I put heavy study sessions and still managed to attain a poor mark in my Half Yearly Science exam (33/50! :cry:). Well, firstly, my studying only consisted of writing notes and memory retention. Is that where I could have gone wrong? I had written about 8 pages of notes from different chapters for my exam. I find it difficult to study for science because specific information is being tested.
I did extremely well in my other subjects ranging from 85% - 95%, but Science attacked me mentally.

So, here are my questions in order:

(1) How do you study for Science?
(2) What 'chapter' question papers are there for me to complete?
(3) How do you distinguish between two very close multiple choice answers in an exam?

Thank you for all of your support :wink:

jnney

lemon
HSC
I absolutely blitzed SC science ;) ahaha okay I'm sorry I'll stop.

Now in answering your questions:

1. I didn't look at the syllabus at all (actually, I didn't know such thing existed! haha). All I did was go over and reinforced everything that was taught in year 10, and that to be entirely honest, was not much at all. I revised for about 3 days. In addition to that I did 2 or 3 past SC papers.

2. I did not complete chapter question papers. I don't think you really need to. See bottom note.

3. If you know the content very well, you should be able to distinguish.

I still have my SC notes lmao, I can help you out if you want. The best way to go is past SC papers I'd say.

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
Science shouldn't be too much of a tackle unless you've been hibernating for the past 4 years- and, you shouldn't have 8 pages of notes unless your writing is extremely big or something. You should be studying/looking over only what you have covered at school. There's only a few basic concepts to memorize/understand. Look over your half yearly paper. Memorizing something and putting pen to paper are two different tasks. Perhaps you're having difficultly structuring your responses? So, can you tell me, where exactly did you lose your marks?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Ok guys seriously now. Please stop.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I would be enjoying yr 10 doing absolutely nothing, BUT I did do a smidgen of work in science.

Like I think like the night before, I wrote a summary. Just some basic points on each section (I had to dig out my Yr 9 book because there was topics in there that are included in SC). Read it a few times. Got 93 in SC.

MC is always process of elimination and MOST correct answer.

Oh and the good thing is, next year you can pick all your subjects and abandon science if you wish.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I counter with: Why should you waste time studying for the School Certificate?

jadenmaccas

HSC
I know the School Certificate is an absolute waste of time but I'm just challenging my friends who did the School Certificate previously. They got around 90-95% on average and go to Selective Schools such as Girraween, James Ruse, Fort Street and Sydney Boys. Also, I have very stereotypical Indian parents who believe you should get good results for even the things that are pointless. Lastly I just don't want to embarrass myself.

And BTW, how did you guys put your subjects and ATAR aims/ATAR marks at the bottom of each of your posts? EPIC :spzz:
PS: I'm new to 'Bored of Studies'

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Mmkay. Well, just revise what you learned in class - seriously. Make notes, do past papers - at least it'll get you into the HSC studying frame of mind.

Also, on the top right corner of this page click "Settings". Then on the left bar, "Change My Signature". That's how you do it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^They got 90-95 in their external SCs at selective schools? Makes me feel smarter :p

To get a signature, scroll to the top of the page, click setting and tehn down the side they'll be a signature option.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
^They got 90-95 in their external SCs at selective schools? Makes me feel smarter :p

To get a signature, scroll to the top of the page, click setting and tehn down the side they'll be a signature option.
What did you get?

jadenmaccas

HSC
I lost my marks in multiple choice (I got 6/10 for that section)
I lost a few marks in Short answer 'one-worded' questions (I got 7/10 for that section)
I lost 1 mark from plotting the last 2 points of a graph incorrectly (5/6 for that section)
I lost 1 mark for labelling the food chain in the opposite direction.
I lost 4 marks in two questions that were worded awkwardly (6/10 for that section)
I lost 3 marks for the method of an experiment I had to design after reading the aim of the experiment (7/10 for that section)

As you can see, I lost marks 'here and there', which really drastically reduced my marks. But our teacher wasn't much help at all. Is it fair to tell a class to start studying one week before an exam?

jadenmaccas

HSC
May I ask what mark you got in the exam?
Also, I won't need your notes - I'll make them by myself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)