What subjects are you doing for 2014? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I know that many year 10s have been notified that they will be choosing their subjects next term with some already chosen their subjects. With subject selection and career pathways:
What are you subjects?
Possible future subjects? (e.g ext 2 maths, ext 2 eng)
Were you offered an accelerated course?
What are you career goal?
Atar and any uni in particular you aiming for?

Just a little curious what my 2015 hsc people have in their mind :)
For me im doing eng adv, eng ext 1, math adv, maths ext 1, chem, physics, business studies
Not sure about ext 2 maths because i dont know if its worth it.
Had been studying accelerated maths but dropped it because i didnt want hscs to go over a 2 year period and that im not sur if i want to do business
Something in business or pharmacy maybe
90+ unsw or usyd

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm doing the HSC in 2014 but nevertheless.
General Maths
Advanced English
Chemistry
Biology
Business Studies
Legal Studies

I want to be a doctor
MBBS @ Uni of Adelaide. 90+

R4diance

HSC
My subjects are:
- English Advanced
- Mathematics w Extension 1
- Physics
- Chemistry
- IPT
- Modern History

Hoping to take up Ext. 2 Maths in Year 12.

ATAR Aim of 97, hope to study Engineering at UNSW. :)

jazzawhat

HSC
I'm doing:

Maths Ext 1
Adv. English
SOR I (Catholic school)
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Economics

ATAR Goal= 95+
Sydney University

ReyesDaRoof

HSC
I have chosen to do:

SOR 2
English Advanced
English Extension 1
Maths 2U
Legal Studies
Economics
Visual Arts

I have considered doing English Extension 2 in year 12.

ATAR goal: 96+
I honestly don't know what I want to do at uni.

MissyL

HSC
Economics
Modern
Legal/Physics
Extension 1 Maths
Maths
Advanced English
Taking Extension 2 maths in year 12 :)
Atar aim: 97+ for marketer (not sure if this is the atar for it)

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
English Advanced
English Extension 1
English Extension 2
Economics
Biology
Chemistry

:D

Last edited:

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
It's interesting seeing the similarity between electives and prospective careers here :p.

Last edited:

abc1234567890

HSC
N/A
Our subjects are so similar!

I'm doing:
English Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Physics
Economics/Legal studies

Most likely doing Extension 2 maths in year 12.

I wanted to accelerate in maths but my school doesn't offer it :(

Career goal: medicine

ATAR: 99+

Uni: UNSW :D

I think I'm being too ambitious but "aim for the moon; even if you miss you'll land among the stars" :)

albertcamus

HSC
Our subjects are so similar!

I'm doing:
English Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Physics
Economics/Legal studies

Most likely doing Extension 2 maths in year 12.

I wanted to accelerate in maths but my school doesn't offer it :(

Career goal: medicine

ATAR: 99+

Uni: UNSW :D

I think I'm being too ambitious but "aim for the moon; even if you miss you'll land among the stars" :)
If you haven't decided yet, srsly do Economics over Legal - it's actually useful, it's applicable to real life, interesting IMO, logical like science/maths (tbh Year 12 Economics is more intuitive than Year 12 Chemistry, so it's nice in that sense too).

Legal's a loottt of memorising and it's stupid content at times + it scales not so well compared to Eco.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Reflecting on my Preliminary and HSC years in 2007/2008. I think I chose the right subjects.
In year 11 I did:
Advanced English
Extension 1 Maths
Advanced Maths (2 unit)
Business Studies
Economics
Chemistry
Biology

For year 12 I dropped Extension 1 Maths and Chemistry. In my senior years at high school I was aiming for a profession in law, economics, accounting or journalism. After I realized that I couldn't get into USYD law school I was aiming for Bachelor of Economics at USYD (ATAR of 92). I got an ATAR of 77.75 and won the INPUTS Educational Access Scheme at the University of Technology, Sydney. Moreover, I got into Bachelor of Business at UTS in 2009. Thinking back to year 11 I wanted to do Modern History instead of Business Studies. This was because Civics Australian History was my best subject in year 10 compared to Commerce (overall mark of 87 per cent for Civics History for the School Certificate). Furthermore, I knew my job prospects were better doing Business Studies so I persisted with the subject.

In year 12 I got 83 per cent overall for Business Studies.I got 85 per cent overall for Economics. I got 82 per cent overall for English Advanced.
In year 11 the mark for the three above stated subjects were in the 70's. Three unit maths and Chemistry dragged down my results in year 11.

My advice if you want to do Bachelor of Business/ Commerce at UNSW, USYD or UTS please do 3 unit maths, it gives you a HUGE ADVANTAGE. For me I got 33 per cent for my year 12 mid year three unit exam(my school gets scaled by ten per cent for three unit Maths so most likely I would have got 43 per cent) .I knew I had to drop 3 unit maths from my HSC subjects. Moreover, I did not fail any subject for my best ten units for my HSC.

Last edited:

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
If you haven't decided yet, srsly do Economics over Legal - it's actually useful, it's applicable to real life, interesting IMO, logical like science/maths (tbh Year 12 Economics is more intuitive than Year 12 Chemistry, so it's nice in that sense too).

Legal's a loottt of memorising and it's stupid content at times + it scales not so well compared to Eco.
Economics has a lot more work to cover, and probably more memorising. It also has a lot of external independent investigation with tonnes of reading.

Their subject selection palette is very demanding. Physics, Chemistry and both English and Mathematics extensions! While Economics is a very good scaling subject, these next two years will be very heavy with regards to work. I suggest picking a more enjoyable subject, possibly like Drama or even Legal Studies if you are really into it, especially when only 10 units will be considered. :\

Last edited:

albertcamus

HSC
Economics has a lot more work to cover, and probably more memorising. It also has a lot of external independent investigation with tonnes of reading.

Their subject selection palette is very demanding. Physics, Chemistry and both English and Mathematics extensions! While Economics is a very good scaling subject, these next two years will be very heavy with regards to work. I suggest picking a more enjoyable subject, possibly like Drama or even Legal Studies if you are really into it, especially when only 10 units will be considered. :\
Lol Economics is enjoyable...

And trust me, Chemistry is a shitload of content in Year 12 - you'll be surprised how much of it is actually Chemistry, and how much of it is the social/cultural/environmental impacts of Chemistry (same goes for Physics, but on a lesser scale).

And Economics really isn't that much memorising - a lot of the topics do tend to fit together in a logical manner and they link into each other - there's the inevitable amount of memorising + the need for memorising statistics, but that's the same as memorising equations to support your responses in Chem.

And the "external independent investigation" isn't a lot - as long as you spend about 30 mins - 1 hour a week doing a bit of extra research on AFR, ABS, SMH, The Economist etc. that's plenty - most of the stats are given in the provided textbooks anyway.

Legal, really depends on your school's option topics in yr 12.

A lot of Legal is memorising different conventions, treaties, documents of international law and the entire legal course is more "law's impact on society/individuals" as opposed to nitty gritty legal concepts which you have to absorb and apply.

If neither are your cup of tea, probably pick Biology since the exam technique skills, the prac skills and the 'style of study' are sorta similar to Chem, which in turn is similar to Phys.

Just my take on things.

Kaisirus

HSC
My choices :

-SOR 1
-English Standard
-Ancient History
-Modern History
-Biology
-PDHPE

ATAR goal: 98+
I'm not sure what to do at Uni just yet, i'm leaning more towards Medicine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)