biology or business studies (1 Viewer)

moni5281

HSC
Hi everyone, as the title describes I am having a bit of a dilemma with my subject selections as I am not sure which one to choose!

My subjects so far:
English Advanced
Maths + ext 1
Chemistry
Economics
IT
Bio/Business??

I am a very maths based person, and although I find science interesting, I am not that into plant bio... business seems interesting as well but i'm not sure if it will overlap with economics??? Is business studies very essay based and is it hard?
Also which one scales better? Any thoughts on what I should choose?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
There is very minimal overlap between Economics and Business Studies - there's like a tiny bit in the prelim + HSC courses.

Biology scales better.

Business Studies, in the HSC, requires you to tackle on 2 extended response sections.

- 1 in the form of a business report.
- 1 in the form of an essay OR you can do it as a business report.

Business Studies is not hard nor is it easy imo.

The content is relatively easy to understand but the difficult part of the subject is - you need to MEMORISE (know inside-out) the syllabus.

From what I hear, Biology is a memorisation-heavy subject as well.

Which one should you choose?

Perhaps, think about whether you like Social Sciences (Economics, Business, etc.) or Sciences (Chemistry, Biology, etc.) more.

If you think you like/are stronger in Science then do Biology - if it's the other way around, choose Business.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
There is very minimal overlap between Economics and Business Studies - there's like a tiny bit in the prelim + HSC courses.

Biology scales better.

Business Studies, in the HSC, requires you to tackle on 2 extended response sections.

- 1 in the form of a business report.
- 1 in the form of an essay OR you can do it as a business report.

Business Studies is not hard nor is it easy imo.

The content is relatively easy to understand but the difficult part of the subject is - you need to MEMORISE (know inside-out) the syllabus.

From what I hear, Biology is a memorisation-heavy subject as well.

Which one should you choose?

Perhaps, think about whether you like Social Sciences (Economics, Business, etc.) or Sciences (Chemistry, Biology, etc.) more.

If you think you like/are stronger in Science then do Biology - if it's the other way around, choose Business.
Why you should do business:
- just by knowing the syllabus, you are already sitting on 70%
- easy to bs your way out of difficulties

Why you should do biology:
- scales a lot better
- no extended responses

Both are memory subjects.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll chime in and see the plant bio is pretty contained into prelim...most of the HSC is focus on human with some animal bio thrown in.

Bio has a fantastically easy syllabus to follow, and rewards an understanding for the questions and answers tailored to the key words.

If you are interested in science like you say, it is a good course. Also many bio aspects you brush on in the HSC come up in uni bio (albeit in a much more sophisticated depth), but it's nice to have that exposure :D

I hear Business is also a relatively memorisable subject and has the extended responses. Tbh, if you are doing Economics (like I used to) most people in my class found Business to be a very watered down easy subject to Eco. Some aspects of Business Studies seem common sense, but I did grow up with business owner parents...

Also as you asked, Bio scales better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)