Roll over test? gg life (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
So I don't know if any other school does this but my school has roll over tests for all subjects and today I had my advance English and it was pretty bad in my opinion, I didn't get to clearly express my opinions and my ideas were all over the place, trying to answer the given question. I don't know how I'll go but im afraid they might force me down to standard. I wouldn't mind standard if 20% of standard students weren't much smarter than 50% of advance, and we only have about 50 kids in advance after about 10 people dropped/ moved schools. My schools ranked in the early 100! Just worried they might force me... I was planning to move schools since I hate my cohort but I guess I can put up with them for 2 years if I get my courses, achieve the atar aim and get out.

Last edited:

NickIsSkuxx

HSC
What have your grades been like throughout the whole year for English?
In your signature it says you are doing Ext English which means they must have been good.
So if you have been getting top marks in all the other English assessments I'm sure they will allow you to do advanced regardless of your mark in this test (so long as it isn't drastically bad).

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
What have your grades been like throughout the whole year for English?
In your signature it says you are doing Ext English which means they must have been good.
So if you have been getting top marks in all the other English assessments I'm sure they will allow you to do advanced regardless of your mark in this test (so long as it isn't drastically bad).
Ive been getting Bs and As, but i flunked my RoSa so that brought my down a bit. I talked with the teacher and she saw that i was reluctant to drop extension 1 ( our school is horrible at english so she tries to get as many in standard to push the average up or a lower level of english to push the average up) so shes like 'whatever you think is good for your atar' not sure what to interpret of that...

I think i can pull a decent 12/15 (not jinxing it or anything haha)

NickIsSkuxx

HSC
Ive been getting Bs and As, but i flunked my RoSa so that brought my down a bit. I talked with the teacher and she saw that i was reluctant to drop extension 1 ( our school is horrible at english so she tries to get as many in standard to push the average up or a lower level of english to push the average up) so shes like 'whatever you think is good for your atar' not sure what to interpret of that...

If your school is as horrible in English as mine then a 12/15 should see you in advanced easily. Our school chose the kids for advanced based on our averages for the year and some kids got in with an average of below 65%!
And as far as I'm aware the school cannot stop you for doing a certain subject unless there are absolutely no spots left, and I'm sure your teacher must have known that, hence her comment.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
If your school is as horrible in English as mine then a 12/15 should see you in advanced easily. Our school chose the kids for advanced based on our averages for the year and some kids got in with an average of below 65%!
And as far as I'm aware the school cannot stop you for doing a certain subject unless there are absolutely no spots left, and I'm sure your teacher must have known that, hence her comment.
You'd think so but our criteria is really vague so no one knows what they're looking for in our essays. I doubt there are no spots left since about 10-12 people dropped to standard

NickIsSkuxx

HSC
You'd think so but our criteria is really vague so no one knows what they're looking for in our essays. I doubt there are no spots left since about 10-12 people dropped to standard
Yeah I hate that, same thing with our school.
What school do you go to mate?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
"I was planning to move schools since I hate my cohort but I guess I can put up with them for 2 years if I get my courses, achieve the atar aim and get out."

1)Just one simple word of advice-try to appreciate your cohort-they may not be the brightest academically, but they will be the ones helping you to get the final external HSC mark as it is a cohort effort-not an individual effort. And when you get your course, attempt to enjoy the process of learning rather than just blindly aiming for high marks-because at the conclusion of year 12-you will remember the friendships and excursions and cohort gatherings much more than you remember the fact you came first in a subject, for example-they will be more lasting. Try to not have such a bleak outlook of 'achieve atar aim and get out"-try to enjoy your last two years-when you enjoy the journey, you will not only excel when you get to your destination but you will also become a much more well-rounded individual as well:)

"I think i can pull a decent 12/15 (not jinxing it or anything haha)"

1)Aim higher-you are about to start year 11-so don't put your aim so low, try to aim for a band 6 mark, don't say "I think" say "I will pull this decent mark, but I will improve on it once I achieve that mark-you have to believe in yourself and consistently refine your English skills and appreciation to maximise your potential and ATAR-don't limit yourself to a certain mark, imagine the possibilities by achieving your personal best-every single time-and improving upon your own previous performances by evaluating upon your past mistakes:)

2)One last word of advice-the fact that your school is not very strong at English means you need to work even harder in English to push yourself up. The good news is that English is a subject that has to be practiced, what teachers can teach you is actually very little, it actually depends on yourself-if you are willing to seek help, to seek feedback consistently by doing practice essays and creative TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY EVERY SINGLE TIME and you repeat this process countless times-anything is possible within a two year timeframe-set yourself short term and long term goals and aim for much higher-because I have faith you can maximise your potential and achieve that ATAR and get into university course you desire-You haven't even started the marathon and you are already putting in negative self talk- come on-re-energise yourself in the upcoming holidays and focus on trying your best-anything is possible if you are willing to make it possible through sheer hard work, determination and optimism. Best wishes for the future two years:) (never give up:))

Last edited:

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC

Lol. Your teacher obviously has no idea about how poorly standard english aligns. Don't listen to her. Keep advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)