Year 10 Subject Picks.... STANDARD ENGLISH... (1 Viewer)

Heng Guang

HSC
I just finished year 10 and i'm moving onto yr 11 next year. I wonder if i could get an ATAR of 89 with the following subjects for my senior years:
Ancient History
Mathematics 2U
STANDARD ENGLISH (too dumb to do advanced)
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

Please tell me if i could get an ATAR of 89 or 90 :3
Thanks in advance! :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can get your desired atar with any combination of subjects, it is not really whether you can get a 89 as such but more so 'what you are going to do' and 'how you are going to work hard' to get that 89. Doing low scaling subjects DOES NOT deny you from getting a high ATAR. I think the best thing you should do is read your English texts in the holiday before school starts-ask your teacher what texts your school plans to do in year 11-to get a head start, as well as a read over your subject textbooks. Just be prepared to work hard consistently over the next two years and any atar is possible:) Best wishes for you to achieve your desired ATAR goal:)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
any subject combination = any atar. It is all dependant on your will to do your best and achieve the highest possible. Stay positive, don't worry about scaling just do your best and remember the sky is the limit.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what are the major differences between mx1 & 2u?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Mx1 goes much more in depth into the 2unit topics. IMO, it strengthens your knowledge and understanding of 2u topics by going further. Also it's more fun and challenging than 2u :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Forgot to add you learn completely new topics, such as binomial theorem, polynomials, circle geo, etc which you don't have in 2u. It's great if you love maths!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what would you suggest an average math student, i.e. 70-80s, occasional 90 in 5.2 yr 10 maths to choose for yr 11, 2u or mx1? Also is it really as great as people say it is scaling wise?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
what would you suggest an average math student, i.e. 70-80s, occasional 90 in 5.2 yr 10 maths to choose for yr 11, 2u or mx1? Also is it really as great as people say it is scaling wise?
I could say 2 unit, even then the students would have to work very hard to learn the things in 5.3 to catch up. Maths extension one is a higher scaling subjects relative to subjects belonging to the creative arts such as visual arts and drama, however, don't choose any subject based on scaling, choose subjects you genuinely like and you will excel in-choosing high scaling subject but performing really poorly in them is not going to get you the high ATAR you want and moreover, you will be hating the subjects you study-go with what you like, not what scales the best otherwise you will regret it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say General Maths unless you are prepared to catch up on 5.3 work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)