Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to choosing subjects for Year 9 & 10

HSC
    N/A

Guide to choosing subjects for Year 9 & 10

Preface

Students in Year 8 are now at an important stage in their educational journey as they have the opportunity to select two subjects for more detailed study over the next two years.

This will form a solid foundation to enable them to make decisions for their future after Year 10. Most will continue their studies to the Higher School Certificate. All students, whether leaving at the end of Year 10 or continuing on to the HSC, will have prepared themselves for an increasingly complex society and work place.

Choosing an Elective Subject

When making elective choices it is important to take into consideration:

1. the students ability and interest in the given subject.

2. the desirability for the student to keep options open with regard to possible courses of study in the senior school and future career choices

3. the advice of subject teachers and your careers adviser (if you have one) to give guidance in relation to choices.

How do I choose my subjects

Why subject choices are important for you

The subjects you do at school can often determine the type of career path you select.

• Doing subjects that you like and that you are interested in make school more enjoyable.
    • Everyone is good at something. Doing subjects you are good at makes school more rewarding and satisfying.

What choices do you have?

The choices available at each school are different. But all students study COMPULSORY SUBJECTS (subjects you must study):

Year 9 and 10

Maths
    English
    Science
    PD/H/PE
    Geography
    History

and ELECTIVE SUBJECTS (subjects you can choose to study) such as:

Commerce
    Design & Technology
    Drama
    Food Technology
    German
    Information Software & Technology
    Music
    Physical Activity & Sport Studies
    Industrial Technology
    Visual Arts

There's more description of these subjects and there's more options you have depending on your school in this link:

Course Descriptions, accurate 2014

Who can help you decide?

Make sure you get help from the RIGHT people.

• Subject teacher - can tell you if you are good at certain subjects.
    • Your careers adviser - can tell you what subjects (if any) are required for particular career paths.
    • Home Class teacher - can help with ideas.
    • Parents - Discuss choices with your parents. Encourage them to speak with the above people if you have different ideas or if they need more information.

Three good reason for choosing subjects

1. Ability - choose subjects you are good at.

2. Interest - choose subjects you are interested in.

3. Motivation - choose subjects you really want to learn/

Five bad reasons for choosing subjects

1. Friends - Your friends often have different abilities, interests and motivation from you.

2. Teachers - Don't choose or discard a subject based on whether you do or do not like the teacher. Teachers may be given other classes or change schools.

3. Excursions - Many subjects have excursions. Why endure two years of work you may not particularly like, for one excursion?

4. Rumours - Your peers sometimes make comments about a subject that are not true. Always check out rumours with teachers. They are the experts, not your peers.

5. Easy options - There are no easy option subjects. If someone tells you this, chances are they will probably do poorly.

A note to parents

By the end of Year 8, today's students have already tested themselves against many subjects and interest areas. The ones they enjoy are usually the ones they do well at because those subjects suit their abilities. By helping your child identify these areas of interest and strength you will also be helping them take the first steps to make sensible career decisions.

Students need to learn about the various occupations that may suit them. You can be their window to the world of work.

You can help by:

• building on your teenager's achievements so far - not just school work.
    • talking to your teenager about your current work and what the job involves, both the good and the bad aspects.
    • establishing links with an adult (an industry mentor) or arranging work place visits in a career field that interests your child.
    • encouraging your teenager to talk to your friends and relatives regarding the work they do.
    • pointing out job advertisements in the newspapers.
    • pointing out the changing labour market, the role of ongoing training and the creation of new jobs.
    • encouraging your teenager to consider gaining a part-time job in an area of interest to them.
    • encouraging your teenager to be involved in extra-curricular activities, e.g. sport, music, volunteer work, community service. This helps build on their relational skills, as well as highlighting strengths and abilities.

The choice of career path is one of the most important decisions young people have to make. The part you play in the process of career planning is vital. Your children will look to you for advice and support.
    Last edited by dan964; 9 Feb 2017 at 9:22 AM.

HSC
    N/A

re: Guide to choosing subjects for Year 9 & 10

good to see a thread that helps out the yr 9 and 10's.

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

Hawki

That's an amazingly good and useful post.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Good advice - Choose subjects you enjoy because other subjects can get quite boring.
    2018-2019: Master of Public Health at University of Wollongong
    2015-2017: Bachelor of Social Science at University of Wollongong
    HSC 2014:English Advanced, General Mathematics, Biology, Community and Family Studies, Italian Beginners, Business Services

HSC

Good guide hawkrider.

It is important for the students to pick the subjects they have great interest in and can succeed in

HSC

I like the bit about the parents. My parents were extremely supportive towards mine and my twin's choice in our subjects for Year 9 and 10. That in turn made us more comfortable to talk to them about the subject contents and any difficulties we had in them when we were actually in Year 9 and 10. (although neither helped out much, just listened lol)

HSC

i did elective history and food tech for year 9 and 10. To be honest the only subject i wanted to do was elective history because I love history. I only chose food tech as a budge subject, not because I wanted to do it. I ended up loving elective history and did extremely well in it and came 2nd i think..but i hated food tech..somehow I still did pretty good in it though.
    my advice:
    choose subjects you think you really will enjoy because most likely you will do well in them and enjoy going to the classes. Trust me, I hated food tech so much. It was hell for me every lesson. Most of the recipes were crap, we never cooked anything cool and the theory work was boring as. I thought the subject would be ok..but it really wasn't. other people enjoyed it though.
    Anyway, no need to stress because its only year 9 and 10. see what you like doing so you don't make the same mistakes for year 11 and 12.
    forever cringing

HSC

I chose commerce purely for the end of year luna park excursion

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

for year 9 and currently year 10 i chose french cos I already know stuff beyond hsc level and i chose commerce because the exam was open book in year 9 and it's a bludge so far.

Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Futurmedstudent View Post
    for year 9 and currently year 10 i chose french cos I already know stuff beyond hsc level and i chose commerce because the exam was open book in year 9 and it's a bludge so far.
    Commerce is watered down business ... In fact, some content in commerce even overlaps with business;
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

HSC

I chose photography, French and IST (In my school you get three electives)
    If you knew me you'd realise what weirdo very different choices my electives were. I chose what sounded interesting as its yr 9 and 10!
    But that's the thing, I chose the boring stuff I'm good at. So my advice to picking electives for year 9 and 10: be adventurous and go on a limb. For HSC maybe consider talent and duh your future, but year 9 and 10 is trying what you never would have otherwise and see if its as amazing as you imagined.

Me personally:
    French: BLEURK! and yet was amazing in yr 8
    IST: I chose it coz I sucked at computer stuff and wanted to get better, and by the end it was one of my fav subjects
    Photography: Meh half half. Worked my buttocks off and didn't get the recognition for it. Plus realised I suck at the practical

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by nerdasdasd View Post
    Commerce is watered down business ... In fact, some content in commerce even overlaps with business;
    does it overlap with economics or legal??

Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Futurmedstudent View Post
    Nope.
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by nerdasdasd View Post
    Nope.
    Well Commerce for us we did a legal topic which was pretty much the basic legal concepts, chapter 1 of legal studies in yr 11...
    HSC 2015

Advanced English | Mathematics Extension 1 | Physics | Economics | Legal Studies | Studies of Religion I

Quote Originally Posted by Drsoccerball View Post
    Atar cannot be created nor destroyed but can be transformed. It usually transforms into something called a mystery mark

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by tumtoom View Post
    If you knew me you'd realise what weirdo very different choices my electives were. I chose what sounded interesting as its yr 9 and 10!
    But that's the thing, I chose the boring stuff I'm good at. So my advice to picking electives for year 9 and 10: be adventurous and go on a limb. For HSC maybe consider talent and duh your future, but year 9 and 10 is trying what you never would have otherwise and see if its as amazing as you imagined.

Me personally:
    IST: I chose it coz I sucked at computer stuff and wanted to get better, and by the end it was one of my fav subjects
    Photography: Meh half half. Worked my buttocks off and didn't get the recognition for it. Plus realised I suck at the practical
    Definitely this. I did Commerce and Elective History. Now since I'm in Yr 11 I wish I did something a little chill and more hands on to change it up. But then again they were alright. And I did learn that I absolutely hate history!!
    HSC 2015

Advanced English | Mathematics Extension 1 | Physics | Economics | Legal Studies | Studies of Religion I

Atar cannot be created nor destroyed but can be transformed. It usually transforms into something called a mystery mark

Retired Sept '14 LoveHateSchool's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Lol so long ago for me, but some schools do get to pick three and mine was one where you did it for the two years and didn't get a swap in yr 10 like some schools.

I would really urge you to do whatever you want, you have all the core covered in your mandatory subs and this is your chance to try new ground (Pretty much whenever you can choose new ground, you should go for it). Please seriously do not fret on yr 9/10 subject selections!

I did French, Commerce and Elective History back in the day.

Commerce was possibly the easiest subject I ever did because it's common sense (98-100% whole two years), doing a language good in case you want to study it in snr school and elective history was great and really enriching and showed me I really liked it so yay. Especially because core history was notoriously terrible because of the whole Australian syllabi thing (nice job screwing Core Geography as well). I hope you are not subjected to that anymore now there is no SC. It's so nice this sem in uni to be doing a major assignment on the Cold War and getting back to my history roots.

Psh I personally think Elective Geography would be really cool, but that's a geography major talking and it didn't run the year I was picking :P
    Ex-mod dawg- Nov '12-Sept '14

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by LoveHateSchool View Post
    Psh I personally think Elective Geography would be really cool, but that's a geography major talking and it didn't run the year I was picking :P
    LOL elective geography never runs at my school. Senior geo barely ever runs either :')

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2
    forever cringing

HSC

Oh yeah i forgot to add i also did IST. I forgot it was an elective because at my school it's compulsory that we do it. The projects for IST were fun.

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2
    forever cringing

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by LoveHateSchool View Post
    haha Geography doesn't even run at my school since no one did it lol
    HSC 2015

HSC

Unless you need a subject in order to pursue a senior level subject (i.e. languages), just choose stuff which you will enjoy.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

Cadet
    HSC
    Hopeless at giving directions so I won't even bother

Quote Originally Posted by tumtoom View Post

Me personally:
    Wow, I chose French, IST, commerce for my electives. French in year 8 was amazing, year 9- not so much, became so hard and the conjugations really test my crap memory. Also back then I thought it would be interesting learning a new language, lol no. Can't French. Dropping it next year defs.
    IST- did it because animation and photoshopped interested me. Those units were fun, got 27/28 in my assessment. Then we had robotics- mucked around and didn't listen because it was boring- totally failed (but it won't go in my S1 report yay)
    Commerce- did it because of the shopping center excursion and 'commerce day' where we sell stuff. The whole subjects pretty fun, just that the teacher has a grudge on me and keeps directing glares at me. Not my imagination- 100% truth.

Next year I'm thinking of doing
    Elec history (dropping French) - normal history classes seem fun, I loved it.. But then we moved to geo -.-
    Food tech/Drama (maybe dropping IST) - cannot remember all the technical coding and programming that will be tested next year. Again, bad memory. Food tech people cook food. Me like food. Unfortunately there's food tech theory -.- Or I would do drama - seems so fun, and I like acting in front of a mirror besides I'm not shy to express myself in front of an audience, so I regret not choosing drama.. But I only had 3 choices though
    Commerce - what can I say. Hopefully I won't get the same darned teacher.

If only I read this thread earlier :/ my parents wanted me to do commerce. I was neutral. Then I was tricked by the French teacher in year 8 D; IST has gone downhill because my favorite units had passed. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSC

I chose commerce and IST(only 2 choices sadly). Be careful with IST as there a quite a few topics which are optional(I got the crap ones like databases and animation) . Commerce is great if you like that sort of stuff and from what I hear is a great basis for business if you're going that route but I find it very boring at times. Also you have do like no homework/revision for these subjects until 2days before the test/assessment (I'm 1st in both subjects), But IST assignments got really annoying due to their size and the portfolio style things which I had to complete. Both are great though if you like that stuff.

For year 9 and 10 i'll say just choose subjects you enjoy or want to try, i really wish i could do elective history but it clashed with commerce. As for languages if you want to do them in year 11-12 then you have to do them in 9-10. Thankfully I chose IST over french, the teacher was terrible and can go sac a dos.

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Asian 2: commerce/ist
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Futuremedstudent View Post
    at my school, commerce covered economics and legal but it was all very generalised

HSC

I'm currently in year 9 and I chose Commerce, IST and Photography.

Commerce: Quite boring, a lot of information to absorb but it's very useful and will help you in the future. I took Commerce because it'd branch out to Legal Studies but Year 9 is more business and in year 10 it's more legal studies so yea.

IST: It was a quite laid back subject and I found the majority fun and interesting except for database

Photography: It was very laidback but fun. We spent most of the time in the darkroom and we made our own box camera and developed the pictures (camera obscura) which I found fun although patience is needed especially when you develop your own photos.

I kinda regret some subjects and I really wanted to take Visual Arts as well but it overlapped with IST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information