ENGLISH Yr 10 help! (1 Viewer)

gc653

HSC
Hi everyone

I have always found English to my weakest subject and this year I want to be able to write essays succinctly as well as writing one without getting too anxious about the structure! So I was wondering for essays, what would be the best structure that will guarantee high marks????? I'm aiming for a mark like 17 or 18/20 (normally getting 14-15/20) so pretty much an A.

This is the structure I was always taught; is this correct?????
Introduction
Body paragraph (more than 2)
- topic sentence
- develop topic sentence (introduce example)
- Quote/evidence (to support example)
- Language techniques in quote
- link back to question
Conclusion

I also have trouble with writing and coming up with language techniques which would happen I think after writing the quote. Right now I am studying for an upcoming essay exam on to kill a mockingbird and some quotes I can't find any languages techniques such as the quote below:

"As Atticus once advised me to do, I tried to climb into Jem's skin and walk around in it: if I had gone alone to the Radley Place at two in the morning, my funeral would have been held the next afternoon. So I left Jem alone and tried not to bother him." Page 57

So any English tips that can help answer my questions from above (especially the one on language techniques) would be greatly appreciated thank you ! :)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
The structure you were taught is quite correct I reckon...although I think it can be refined better, i.e.:

Intro

Body paragraphs (you usually write ~3-4, depending on the nature of your essay.)
- Topic sentence
- Textual link, i.e. introduce your text and how it links to your topic setnece
- Technique
- Quote/evidence
- Explanation and link back to your thesis (which is a response to your question)

It depends what you're trying to say about your quote...try and identify the idea in your quote first, and see which elements of the quote is evidence for those ideas, and then identify the technique in that. That's usually the easiest way to go for me, but everyone operates differently, so it's up to you.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
"As Atticus once advised me to do, I tried to climb into Jem's skin and walk around in it: if I had gone alone to the Radley Place at two in the morning, my funeral would have been held the next afternoon. So I left Jem alone and tried not to bother him." Page 57

You can say there is the use of imagery and metonym of 'Jem's skin' to represent Jem's perspective/personality. Sometimes when you struggle to find techniques from a quote, it can be indicative that it may not be the best quote to use for a particular essay question. Have a browse through this website for more literary techniques. http://literary-devices.com/ (it takes time to identify techniques accurately)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I use STEAL
S- Statement/Topic sentence
T - Technique
E- Example
E - Effect/Analyse
L - Link to thesis statement

rawrliongirl

HSC
My English teacher told us this:
The Structure of an extended response or essay should consist of three parts:

1. Intro:
-Thesis - opening sentence which establishes our overall argument. Should be a direct response to the question.
- Introduction of the texts - include authors names
- Brief summary of points of argument. This should be general (i.e. no specific examples) and two or three sentences in length.

2. Body Paragraphs
- Topic Sentence - opening sentence which establishes the argument of the paragraph. Must relate to thesis.
- Example – Include a specific textual reference (e.g. quote) that supports the topic sentence.
- Analysis – Detailed deconstruction of the example including:
• Name of literary or visual technique used
• Effect of that technique on the audience, with relevance to the paragraphs topic sencente.
- Linking sentence – final sentence of the paragraph which summarises the argument and relates it back to the overall thesis.
OR provide a link to the next paragraph which explores something thematically similar.
This body paragraph structure can be easily remembered by recalling the acronym TEAL.

3. Conclusion
Short paragraph that concludes the essay which will include:
• General summary of arguments
• Reiteration of overall thesis.

As for that quote, I can't really find anything either. Maybe you shouldn't use that particular one. Surely there are other quotes which will have good techniques that you could analyse and use in an essay.

-billiris

HSC
I use this for each BODY PARAGRAPH, works very well. :D

TOPIC SENTENCE
- What am I focusing on?
A clear statement that previews the focus of what you will talk about.

ELABORATE ABOUT THE SPECIFIC IDEA
- The context
Providing more information about your areas of focus with specific and detailed examples.

EVIDENCE
(Cite the proof, quote or sources of evidence)

TECHNIQUE
-Where is the TECHNIQUE shown in the text?
(How is the effect created?)

ANALYSIS
-Explain the impact made by the composer/effect on the audience.
(HOW and WHY are we made to feel or react in this way?)

LINK BACK TO CONCEPT
-What is shown about your main idea?
How has the composer's or characters attitude been shown to the audience?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)