Year 11 subject selection (1 Viewer)

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Hello, these are the subjects I am looking at next year

Adv eng
Gen math or 2 unit maths (currently in 5.2, need to do pathway test end of year for 2 unit maths, I find 5.2 pretty easy)
Pdhpe
Biology( interested in genetics)
Eco/bus (what's the difference?)
Sor 2(religion compulsory)

I am looking at going into the business/sports fields.

Should I really push for 2 unit maths or do general?
Economics or business studies? I currently do commerce and enjoy it

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
People from my school did 5.2 in year 10 struggled in year 11. Maybe try 2U for a few weeks and see how you go? I did 5.3 maths and then towards the end I studied some 2U concepts, too hard for me. The maths you're doing now would be similar to general.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

enoilgam

HSC
Give 2U a go - remember, you can always drop down if you change your mind, but you cant go up from General to 2U. Also, as hawk has pointed out, 2U has assumed knowledge from 5.3 so you will need to catch up on that. 2U is a step up from Year 10, so you will need to be on the ball, especially coming from 5.2.

DLMisme

HSC
Try 2U and see how you go. If you find it too difficult, you can always drop down to General. As for Business Studies or Economics, I suggest you have a read of each syllabus to give you an idea of what's involved. It's also a good idea to talk to teachers for more information. Good luck :)

matchalolz

HSC
with economics, you tend to learn about the behaviours of individuals, business firms and the government in the economy and how they interact with each other. business studies tends to focus on businesses (hence the name of the subject). I would recommend doing business studies if you want to learn about starting up your own business and how businesses function. They both have quite a lot of content though, and it's important to stay up to date with recent trends. I do both subjects and find that they complement each other really well.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Adv eng
Gen math or 2 unit maths (currently in 5.2, need to do pathway test end of year for 2 unit maths, I find 5.2 pretty easy)
Pdhpe

Thank you for your help
2 unit or gen maths would be fine for business , the maths is quite easy.

- Simple adding
- simple subtracting
Etc...

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your help. I'll be considering your advice come subject selection night in a couple of weeks.

Pretty certain on

Adv eng
Gen maths/maths
Bio
Eco
Bus
PHDPE
SOR1 (religion compulsory)

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC

Adv eng
Pdhpe

Thank you for your help
Wrong subject choice. do these: ext1/adv maths, phys, bio, chem, eco, biz

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Don't enjoy chemistry and physics much tbh. Could we myself losing motivation if i do them

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
with economics, you tend to learn about the behaviours of individuals, business firms and the government in the economy and how they interact with each other. business studies tends to focus on businesses (hence the name of the subject). I would recommend doing business studies if you want to learn about starting up your own business and how businesses function. They both have quite a lot of content though, and it's important to stay up to date with recent trends. I do both subjects and find that they complement each other really well.
Pretty good explanation :)

Fiction

HSC
2 unit math isn't hard. I say push for 2 unit unless you're really, as in seriously, struggling. Honestly if you've been doing well in junior years, go for 2 unit math. So far it's just a revision + small extension of whatever that was learnt in 7-10 (at least for me). This is assuming junior school topics were equally similar in all schools.

I do bio - it's very content heavy, and as far as the topics I've done so far, genetics really isn't included unless you count evolution to include genetics (which it does, but doesn't delve into things like allele, mendel and his peas etc). I also do economics - I switched into the subject 5 weeks into term 1 from ancient history. Personally I think economics is a very linear subject, make sure you understand stuff from the beginning of the year otherwise you're kinda screwed. It is a subject that applies very much to real life, and there are some interesting aspects. Don't take eco if you're just substituting it for geography (like me).

May I ask, why aren't you considering chemistry...?

EDIT: Lewl, ignore that last question, didn't see it c: Most of my friends who do chem and bio actually prefer chem over bio.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce is more business studies orientated I think?

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC

Adv eng
Pdhpe

Thank you for your help
As someone who does both subjects - I personally find business studies to be a little dry: it requires wide knowledge as opposed to economics with requires depth. In addition, economics is definitely the more interesting subject as it allows you to apply knowledge logically and structure a logical and cohesive response (in an essay form of course). With that being said - I genuinely enjoy both and think that they are great subjects.

hecticated

HSC
at my school we only had 5.3 and 5.2. People who did 5.2 did general or didn't do maths in year 11/12. But give 2U a go if you find it easy :) because if you dont try, you might regret it.

I know the general and 2u courses are quite different. General is more focused on real life maths wheras 2u has more algebra/calculus and stuff.

photastic

HSC
I remembered a student doing 5.2 and he topped ext1 and 2u in yr 11 but since the accelerated students are either repeating or ended their gap year, we have dominated. There's no harm with trying. If you struggle with the 2u content, nws, just drop to gen. However, this a big difference between the two, where 2u is more focused with algebra whereas general is basic applications in life.

With business and economics, economics is harder since you need to understand the depth behind the theory and understanding relationships and their effects whereas business is like economics but doesn't go into depth. So if you just like to memorise theory, go with business, but if you want a another extension of understanding relationships between theories and their effects, go with economics.

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, i got a question

I have been told by a friend in my school that are marks get scaled down due to the school that i go too (ranked 220s)

Any truth to that? Last year 8 people got a 90+ atar out of 109 (though the school has had an influx of students and most years have 150-160 now)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hey guys, i got a question

I have been told by a friend in my school that are marks get scaled down due to the school that i go too (ranked 220s)

Any truth to that? Last year 8 people got a 90+ atar out of 109 (though the school has had an influx of students and most years have 150-160 now)
Your marks don't get scaled down based on the school you go to, it more or so depends on your cohort. Often, the lower ranked the school is (based on % of B6's), the weaker the cohorts for that particular year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)