Year 11 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

AryaStark

HSC
Hey guys :),
I'm currently in year 10 and about to pick my subjects for next year, what are your thoughts on the subjects below and what is the scaling.

Mathematics Extension 1 :chainsaw:
SOR 2 :sleep:
Physics :uhoh:
Chemistry :spin:
Biology :read:
English Standard or Advanced :mad3:
- (I was recommended to do Standard, I got 16/20 for both assessment tasks this year, which is a B, do you think I'd be able to do Advanced?)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently in year 10 and about to pick my subjects for next year, what are your thoughts on the subjects below and what is the scaling.

- (I was recommended to do Standard, I got 16/20 for both assessment tasks this year, which is a B, do you think I'd be able to do Advanced?)

I think you should do Advanced, then if you find it too difficult, move down to Standard. You have a whole year to decide which English best for you, if you get offered a choice, start in ADvanced.

Your subjects do scale well (except for SOR2) but don't pick them just because of that. Phys/Chem/Bio has a huge workload, a few students in my school don't handle it very well. Consider how much work you want to put into these subjects, sometimes it is better to pick one cushy subject, particularly if you want to be able to do MX2 in Year 12, because you'll need to go hard out on MX1 in Year 11.

DLMisme

HSC
As others have said, don't choose your subjects based on scaling. Just choose the subjects you're good at and you enjoy. As for English, definitely do advanced. It aligns much better than standard and you'll have the option of dropping down if you really want to.

enoilgam

HSC
As has been pointed out above, dont do subjects for the scaling. However, I'd highly advise you to do Advanced. Standard english has horrible aligning, which makes it extremely difficult to get a high mark in the subject. Given the fact that it isnt much easier than Advanced (40% of the final exam is the same), I'd avoid it because it really isnt worth doing.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

I'd think you'd be able to do Advanced :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)