Subject selection? (1 Viewer)

l_a_r_a

HSC
Sorry in advance if its long!

I'm in Year 10 and I'm missing the subject selection information thingamabob because I'll be away, so I have to pick now.

I'm very strong in English, decent at History, and pretty crap and everything else. I also don't always test that well so while I know that you shouldn't pick subjects based on how they scale, scaling is important to me. Obviously I'm not going to go do 4 unit maths or physics though just because they scale well.

Here are my thoughts:

- English Advanced
- English Ext 1
- 2unit maths (parents making me do it)
- Modern History
- Ancient History
- Drama/Business Studies/Visual Arts with a major in photography.

In Year 12, I'm going to drop the subject I'm worst at in favour of English Ext 2 and (possibly) History Ext.
For this reason, I want to know about drama, business studies and visual arts. I'm an average actress but plan on writing a play for my major work. Is this a wise choice, not being all that fabulous at drama itself? As for business studies, I'm pretty crap at commerce but I'm highly creative, so would this help me in terms of marketing, or would it give me diversity among all my humanities subjects? Or is there no point to doing it at all? And as for visual arts, I'd only do photography so I could make a short film as my major work and bullshit all the theory because I can write essays. In terms of making a film, would I be assessed on the script/performances or only on the technique and the camerawork?
And is it wise to do 5 units of history if I'm only above average?

Basically I just need to fill out 12 units, and those last 3 subjects I'm unsure of. Information on how these subjects scale would be lovely too :)

matchalolz

HSC
firstly, what do you mean by "crap at commerce"? does this mean doing badly in exams? not understanding the content?

in my point of view, business studies is extremely straightforward, but I don't enjoy is as much as economics because there's no depth to it. If you were to do this subject, make sure you're somewhat interested in the subject because it will get quite boring if you don't. You said you were good at writing essays and this may or may not be helpful for business studies. There are business reports/long responses in exams, and although essay writing skills are useful, make sure you don't bullshit and waffle too much because I know that markers (or at least my teachers) prefer things that get straight to the point and not too fancy.

I have very little experience with the other two subjects so wait for someone else ahah. and I also noticed you said you're parents are making you do 2u maths? are they really firm on you doing it or could you possibly just choose 2 subjects out of business, drama or va instead of maths?

good luck with your choices~

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should pick Visual Arts over business studies / drama as you sound better suited to it.

What type of ATAR are you looking at?

l_a_r_a

HSC
I think you should pick Visual Arts over business studies / drama as you sound better suited to it.

What type of ATAR are you looking at?
The course I want to get into requires an ATAR of 90.00... I'm also an American citizen so having a high ATAR is desirable if I want schools over there to even consider me but that's another matter entirely. Basically I just kind of need a high ATAR.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
1. Do the subjects you like a lot! You said you're good at humanities and a creative person, so your choices so far seem to align with that identification pretty well.
2. I don't do business or drama, but I do VA and if you're looking at doing photography and short film as your major, you have to make it really clever and meticulous. Just make sure it doesn't come off as something you could do the night before in the end lol and you'll be assessed more on your technical skill, but content of your film is also very important.
3. Nah its okay, year 11 is a game changer for people. I was literally failing maths in year 10 and now I'm in the top quarter for extension 1 haha, so things can definitely change!
4. Be careful about picking English Ext 2, History Ext whilst doing VA and drama. That's 4 major works, and unless you're really organised, 2 can even be a stretch at times. TBH, I'm struggling with one (VA) and I can't imagine what its like doing 2 haha
5. In terms of scaling, VA, Drama and Business don't do that well. But you shouldn't prioritise scaling as a reason for choosing a subject, because often, students who do subjects they really love, in spite of its "low scaling", often beat the scaling system and do really well.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
The course I want to get into requires an ATAR of 90.00... I'm also an American citizen so having a high ATAR is desirable if I want schools over there to even consider me but that's another matter entirely. Basically I just kind of need a high ATAR.

Have you looked at the syllabuses ? http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/

Do you do Drama or Art currently as an elective?

l_a_r_a

HSC
Have you looked at the syllabuses ? http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/

Do you do Drama or Art currently as an elective?
Drama isn't offered as an elective at my school, but I've done extra-curricular drama and been in a handful of school plays. As for Art, I haven't done Art as an elective but I'm decent with a camera and could catch up on the work I've missed. So no.

azulxxo

HSC
BUsiness studies is great if you pay attention throughout year 11 and 12, and can remember things well. Its basically just remembering the whole syllabus. Finance i am finding the hardest so if your not good with commerce you might struggle but again its more about memory

If you aren't good at art/photography/short films i wouldnt recommend doing visual arts, or a subject with a major work unless you are passionate about it, otherwise its honestly not worth the time. Although, the art theory is pretty easy and basic especially if you are already good at essays

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Drama isn't offered as an elective at my school, but I've done extra-curricular drama and been in a handful of school plays. As for Art, I haven't done Art as an elective but I'm decent with a camera and could catch up on the work I've missed. So no.
I do not think Drama is a good idea for you to choose based on what you've told us.

Have you been putting effort into learning Commerce / other subjects studied at school this year?

Brontox098

HSC
Don't listen to your parents. Choose what you want to do. Drama's very difficult if you've had no prior experience. You should be writing at least 1A4 page/ night and must be socially interqactive.

enoilgam

HSC
If drama isnt offered, you will have to do drama externally, which is a big inconvinience and quite expensive. Given that you dont seem very keen on it, I'd say that you should probably scratch drama off the list. Out of Business Studies and VA, which one do you think you will enjoy most and perform best in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)