Maths Subject Selection for Senior Years (1 Viewer)

MarvelE

HSC
Hey guys, I am doing the 5.2 course right now and am coming first with a 94 on the half-yearlies. I am doing the 5.3 course with my tutor and we will probably finish it before the end of the year. I am asking wether I will be able to do Maths Extension 1 or should I just stick with 2 unit maths, and how much more work/content does MX1 have over 2U?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Normally I would seriously recommend against doing 3U unless you were doing well in 5.3, but you're nailing 5.2 and taking 5.3 on the side, so it couldn't hurt to pick it up and see what its like.

It does have quite a high workload for a 1 unit subject, but for anyone that puts in the effort for 3U, 2U becomes an absolute breeze.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
MX1- lots of work for a 1unit subject and they give heaps of homework, which means you have to stay focused and organised.

Imo, give it a shot, if you are finding it hard and not getting good enough marks then drop to 2unit.

I think you should learn the optional topics cos some of the topics like logs, circle geo and functions are in both the 2 unit and 3 unit maths course.

MarvelE

HSC
Could you guys list the optional 5.3 topics? Or a link/name of the textbook you guys are referring to? thanks.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you can master the Circle Geometry and Logarithms in Signpost Maths, you'd have covered 70% of the Circle Geometry in MX1 and nearly 100% of Logs in 2U and a very useful foundation for Logs in 3U.

At this stage, plan to do MX1 and if you cannot cope, you can always drop to 2U. But from your results and your own coverage of 5.3, looks like you'd be ok.

MarvelE

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys! I think im gonna do MX1 and if I find it too difficult ill drop, hopefully not though :/ haha

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Normally I would seriously recommend against doing 3U unless you were doing well in 5.3, but you're nailing 5.2 and taking 5.3 on the side, so it couldn't hurt to pick it up and see what its like.

It does have quite a high workload for a 1 unit subject, but for anyone that puts in the effort for 3U, 2U becomes an absolute breeze.
^

If youre willing to put in the effort, which you seem to accept, then go for it. You can always drop it if you find it too difficult.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd try doing 3 unit. You can always drop, but you can't pick it up if you regret not doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)