Subject Selections HELP currently Year 10 (1 Viewer)

lavish

HSC
Hi guys,

I am currently in year 10 and have the ominous Subject Selections looming.
I have narrowed down my choices to a few subjects and I have started to become concerned about the study load required for Senior Years in order to excel.

I'm lucky because I can pick up complex concepts quite quickly in comparison to my peers but I also have a number of extracurricular commitments for sport. (10-15hrs/week)
anyways...
Maths Extension 1
Advanced Eng
Software Design and Dev
Physics
Economics
Catholic Studies.....compulsory
(btw A-grades/good student)

Im concerned that these are all content heavy subjects that require lots of time each to allow for good results, So if anyone does these subjects or has thoughts on juggling study and sport/extra stuff? please comment/help :)

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I will be completely honest and tell you that you cannot classify subjects into a "content heavy" category - as in reality, all subjects require thorough study and dedication. However, I can say that both physics (although I do not do physics) and economics are both 'conceptual' subjects and require deep understanding as opposed to width of knowledge to succeed in them.

In terms of juggling your academic workload, it really depends on how organised you are and how much effort you're willing to put into your studies. All in all, how successful you are is determined by how much effort you put into your work and how smart you are in organising your time.

Remember, study smart - not hard.

Good luck,
- dangerouss xx

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

I am currently in year 10 and have the ominous Subject Selections looming.
I have narrowed down my choices to a few subjects and I have started to become concerned about the study load required for Senior Years in order to excel.

I'm lucky because I can pick up complex concepts quite quickly in comparison to my peers but I also have a number of extracurricular commitments for sport. (10-15hrs/week)
anyways...
Maths Extension 1
Advanced Eng
Software Design and Dev
Physics
Economics
Catholic Studies.....compulsory
(btw A-grades/good student)

Im concerned that these are all content heavy subjects that require lots of time each to allow for good results, So if anyone does these subjects or has thoughts on juggling study and sport/extra stuff? please comment/help :)

You need 1 more unit in order to make 12 units which you require for preliminary.

Catholic Studies is non ATAR so doesn't count directly I believe?

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
You need 1 more unit in order to make 12 units which you require for preliminary.

Catholic Studies is non ATAR so doesn't count directly I believe?
Yes, I think catholic studies is a non-ATAR course - my bad.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Also any thoughts to what career you would like to do when you are older?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah they're all content heavy but doesn't mean you can't do good

matchalolz

HSC
I was balancing a university computing subject (took roughly 8 hours per week) along with 12 units and I made it, so maybe 10 hours is ok but 15 is just nah...

I don't do physics, sdd or catholic studies but i can say that economics and math extension isn't hard as hard as people exaggerate lol. Just manage your time well from the start and DON'T EVER FALL BEHIND. This is my number one tip that I recommend after juggling 8 hours of other stuff

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I was balancing a university computing subject (took roughly 8 hours per week) along with 12 units and I made it, so maybe 10 hours is ok but 15 is just nah...

I don't do physics, sdd or catholic studies but i can say that economics and math extension isn't hard as hard as people exaggerate lol. Just manage your time well from the start and DON'T EVER FALL BEHIND. This is my number one tip that I recommend after juggling 8 hours of other stuff
I did Catholic and it was piss ez. Physics wasn't too bad

lavish

HSC
Thanks guys, It sounds like whatever i choose will require hard work... so i will just have to do my best.

I have a feeling that physics/ex1 maths have stigmas around them very hard, but as long as i dont get behind i should be fine.

I could do 1 unit studies of religion to make 12? :)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys, It sounds like whatever i choose will require hard work... so i will just have to do my best.

I have a feeling that physics/ex1 maths have stigmas around them very hard, but as long as i dont get behind i should be fine.

I could do 1 unit studies of religion to make 12? :)
Sounds like a good plan. In year 12 you can always drop SOR :)

apletikosa

HSC
I picked a lot of subjects that I thought were classified as "content heavy" last year. Surprisingly I thought wrong, if you're a top student in yr10 and have been trying hard, then you don't have to worry about it. You'll end up finding your own way of coping and also you can drop any of the subjects and change them in the first two weeks, so just pick the subjects you want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)