Advanced vs Standard (1 Viewer)

AryaStark

HSC
Hi,

Is it better to be below average in advanced or above average in standard?
I am still unsure of which one I want to do. :evilfire:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure if I can, my teacher has recommended Standard and my school has gone all ape shit saying you must following recommendations.
They recommend, but do they utilise force? Don't think so, so there's no stopping you picking Advanced.

Feynman

HSC
Depends, are you good at english and/or do you enjoy it?

If you want a good atar then advanced is recommended

AryaStark

HSC
No,not that great at english, been told that I need to include more detail in my responses.
I'm more of a science and maths person, I usually get 16/20 in english which is a B and I don't read that much but I don't hate english and I don't mind writing essays.

iStudent

HSC
Advanced for sure. Advanced from what I heard is not that much harder than Standard anyways. Don't be one of the people killed off by its very poor aligning. (I think <1% get b6 doing standard. Compare this to 10+% in advanced despite being a "harder" subject).

Also, don't worry if your english is not that great now. I personally made a significant improvement in year 11 alone . It's very easy to improve in english :) (provided you have the right tutors, etc)

Feynman

HSC
Just do advanced. If you want to, you can just drop to standard in year 12 anyway.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Advanced for sure. Advanced from what I heard is not that much harder than Standard anyways. Don't be one of the people killed off by its very poor aligning. (I think <1% get b6 doing standard. Compare this to 10+% in advanced despite being a "harder" subject).

Also, don't worry if your english is not that great now. I personally made a significant improvement in year 11 alone . It's very easy to improve in english :) (provided you have the right tutors, etc)
Unfortunately, I'll have to disagree. The only reason why more advanced candidates attain band 6's in comparison to standard candidates is because the advanced cohort is much more able in terms of ability. Yes, standard aligns poorly but this is only because English is mandatory and all students - regardless of ability must undertake an English course (shown by the large cohort).

But then again, OP can improve in English with the right mindset and hence, I would recommend Advanced as aligns better. But OP, if you're struggling with advanced I'd say do standard - as it's much more important to do well in standard than poorly in advanced.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
tbh it depends on the situation

like at my school i know for sure that I could not have come first or even top 3 in advanced English so I decided to do standard English in which I ended up coming first.
I ended up getting the same mark in standard English as the person that came first in advanced. (i.e if i stuck with advance English i would of ended up with a lower English mark)

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I'll have you know that a family friend of mine did standard English and got an ATAR of 98.3.

iStudent

HSC
Unfortunately, I'll have to disagree. The only reason why more advanced candidates attain band 6's in comparison to standard candidates is because the advanced cohort is much more able in terms of ability. Yes, standard aligns poorly but this is only because English is mandatory and all students - regardless of ability must undertake an English course (shown by the large cohort).

But then again, OP can improve in English with the right mindset and hence, I would recommend Advanced as aligns better. But OP, if you're struggling with advanced I'd say do standard - as it's much more important to do well in standard than poorly in advanced.
Fair call. But in my opinion, if you choose standard in Year 11 just because you think it's easier, then you're only limiting yourself. (if anything, choose advanced BECAUSE it's difficult, and if needed, drop to standard in Year 12 to smash the other standard kids :p). (although, I seriously don't see why you would drop to standard). 16/20 is a great mark. If you can sustain this for the HSC then you're already on your way to band 6 :). Although, HSC markers probably mark harsher than what your year 10 teacher marks at.

HSC
Do advanced for year 11 and if you're struggling drop to standard in year 12. The scaling for both subjects are pretty much the same, advanced may be a little more, and you're better off getting a band 5 in standard then a band 4 in advanced. Plus if you think about it strategically in regards to subject selections if you're doing high scaling subjects that you're excelling in (you said you're good at math and science) standard will not have an effect on you. If you drop down from advanced you are most likely going to be top 3 in standard. Also if you're good at maths, In year 12, pick up MX2 as it is interesting and rewarding.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Give adv english a go.
IMO the texts and the essay questions you get for std might be considerably easier... but you'll get drilled by the poor aligning so much that you will definitely need to stay near the top of your std cohort
Getting average in adv is much better than average in std... From my experience (both adv and std cohort at my school were average in terms of strength), being in the middle of the cohort for std will incur you somewhere around a mid B4 whilst for adv it would be slightly under mid B5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)