Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

barcyy

HSC
I'm currently deciding on my subjects for my senior years but I have faced a conundrum in picking subjects. I wouldn't call myself the best at any subject but I have and will work hard for my senior years. I'm currently deciding on:
Maths X1
Eng Adv
Physics
PDHPE
& Eco
(I also want to do Bio but fifteen units will be too much).

I want to get either in the Engineering Medical or Business field but i'm stuck with all three. Are their any ways of deciding which career path is the best for me?

FancyPenguin

HSC
I only see 11 units there, are you missing a subject? With the career path thing I guess the best way for you is to read up on the job or do that job for work experience(or something similar).

barcyy

HSC
Sorry, forgot Business ! But i'm stuck between bio and another subject because if I want to get into medicine apparently bio is very important.

kvothe

HSC
Sorry, forgot Business ! But i'm stuck between bio and another subject because if I want to get into medicine apparently bio is very important.
I just started medicine this year with no HSC biology under my belt. I found I was at no disadvantage - in fact the general consensus in my course is that it is more important to have done chemistry.

Reason being, the biology at high school is covered in the early lectures of the med degree. It is just rote learn stuff - cell organelles and whatnot. There are some concepts like osmosis that are helpful to know but are easy to understand anyway.

Chemistry is a different kettle of fish - there are many concepts (such as equilibrium) that take a while to understand, which you cover in the HSC. I would say that the skills from Chemistry are more important than the content from biology. It takes much longer to develop skills than to learn content.

There is a reason why med students typically do chemistry and physics - the skills learned are very useful.

Also, PDHPE is a very good subject for aspiring medicine students.

I'm at UNSW btw.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Check the uni course recommended knowledge. You could always pick a variety of subjects if you're really unsure because it does become clearer in senior years.

What are your favourite subjects btw?

FancyPenguin

HSC
bio isn't needed for med, only chem is a prerequisite but you should definitely take up bio so that you can try more subjects, and if it is too much you can always drop.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Should do chemistry, as lots of courses for medical science has it as a prerequisite.

barcyy

HSC
Chemistry is my weakest science, will that affect a Bachelor of Medicine if I were to apply at UNSW or USYD? Realistically, if it is then should I shift my priorities towards other fields like Engineering and Business?

enoilgam

HSC
Which other subject are you considering?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)