How hard is MX1? (1 Viewer)

Feynman

HSC
In comparison to 2 unit. People at my school say its really hard but they haven't even done it.

Also if I already learnt circle geo, polynomials and logs, would that help much

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Personally, I didn't find the leap from 2 to 3 unit that bad. I didn't really feel a difference between the two, just saw all of it as maths haha

and as long as you understand the topics taught, difficulty shouldn't be a big issue.

lolitaaa

HSC
actually is hard. I've spent ~200 hours on mx1 and am only scraping a b6 equivalent score in my exams\
OK Ok I know you people think quantity < quality but 'm giving an approx. value

emilios

HSC
Actually not at all that hard, just time consuming. Great subject though. Exam questions tend to be similar, unlike 4U where there is a larger scope of questions. So if you are willing to put in the time, a B6 is very achievable.

And yes, familiarizing yourself with the circle geo theorems is a pain in the ass so if you have a head start then all the better. Dude honestly I was in the same position as you 2 years ago, nervously asking everyone for advice. Just do it. I guarantee you'll be fine. Worst case scenario you drop it after year 11.

matchalolz

HSC
I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about, 3U is not extremely hard. 2U is basically a repeat of year 10 so it's not hard. Just do your homework and you'll be fine :)

For the topics that you've already learnt, whether it's helpful or not depends on whether your school does that topic first or not. For example, I had already learnt circle geometry in year 10 but this year we haven't even got to that topic and I've forgotten most it :p

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Mathematics Extension 1 (3 Unit) isn't that hard in comparison to just Mathematics (2 Unit)

There's no harm in giving it a go because you can always drop when you feel as if you can't keep up, it's too hard, etc. :D

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
actually is hard. I've spent ~200 hours on mx1 and am only scraping a b6 equivalent score in my exams\
OK Ok I know you people think quantity < quality but 'm giving an approx. value
but you're not asian?

Joshmosh2

HSC
MX1 gave me a wake up call as it was really intense for me in the first couple months. You will get used to it and 2U becomes an absolute breeze

macrazy

HSC
I don't find 3U to be that hard, you just have to make a commitment to stay on top of practice questions and to make sure you understand everything as you learn it, because if you fall behind it's very hard to catch up because it's quite fast paced.. but yeah, not too much harder for the most part :)

wagig

HSC
If you are able to understand the 2 unit content thoroughly (this includes the entirety of trigonometry), extension 1 is not much more of a stretch

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Whether one find MX1 hard or not depends on one. Those who are good at maths find it easy. Those who find 2U Advanced manageable, but not too easy, will find MX1 hard just as those who can only manage Maths General 2 may find 2U advanced challenging. So it all depends.

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it really is subjective on whether someone finds 3u maths easy or hard. For example: my mate who does 2u and 3u; he did awful in his 2u lets be honest, 101/162 - yeah not happening mate. But since the 3u exam was pretty challenging, i didnt know if he was lucky or prepared since he has similar habits of studying towards every subject but he came 42/81 (not bad) whilst I came 21st for 2u with the same amount of effort prepared for 3u which i came 58/81 in.

It really comes down to your approach and how you grasp the subject, so i can't say there's a massive gap with 2u and 3u but there really is an obvious gap.

Axio

=o
HSC
In comparison to 2 unit. People at my school say its really hard but they haven't even done it.

Also if I already learnt circle geo, polynomials and logs, would that help much
I learnt these things in year 10 and I found that it made covering them in 3U way easier. Circle geo questions use all of the yr10 rules + a few more but there are also proof questions instead of just 'find' questions. Polynomials in 3U is almost exactly the same as what we covered in yr10. No logs in yr11 3U as far as I know.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I learnt these things in year 10 and I found that it made covering them in 3U way easier. Circle geo questions use all of the yr10 rules + a few more but there are also proof questions instead of just 'find' questions. Polynomials in 3U is almost exactly the same as what we covered in yr10. No logs in yr11 3U as far as I know.
schools teach topics in different orders so you're going to be doing logs in year 12 if you haven't done so in year 11. but its just revision of all the laws + graphing + "harder" equation solving

rawrliongirl

HSC
Its really fast Paced so sometimes you'll be learning a new concept but then the next day youve moved onto something else and youre still trying to get your head around what you learnt yesterday. For me it was hell. I did it for a term then dropped.
I even did 5.3 maths in year 9&10 but still understood nothing in Ext. Im now dying in mathematics and considering dropping to general..even though everyone is saying im very capable of mathematics and shouldnt drop.

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
Both preliminary 3u and 2u felt cramped where there were/are so many topics to learn within 3 terms. However for the hsc, it feels much slower, less topics hence more time to comprehensively understand them, which is why I think prelims was harder than the HSC year. You have more time to understand the topics, which is why 3u sometimes feels easier than 2u because there is so little to be tested and the difficulty is roughly the same as 2u, except projectiles, probability, binomials and calculus

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Its really fast Paced so sometimes you'll be learning a new concept but then the next day youve moved onto something else and youre still trying to get your head around what you learnt yesterday. For me it was hell. I did it for a term then dropped.
I even did 5.3 maths in year 9&10 but still understood nothing in Ext. Im now dying in mathematics and considering dropping to general..even though everyone is saying im very capable of mathematics and shouldnt drop.
How well are you doing though?

ebbygoo

HSC
If you are able to understand the 2 unit content thoroughly (this includes the entirety of trigonometry), extension 1 is not much more of a stretch

I'd like to emphasise UNDERSTAND. Otherwise I'd agree with Wagig.

nivans

HSC
For me 3u was hard in year 11, but became easy in year 12. It's just a matter of getting used to it. If you do it and plan to drop at the end of year 11, don't drop it until you've done a term of year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)