Another year 11 subject selection thread (1 Viewer)

nothingspecial

HSC
I'm picking my subject right now. I'm considering this list

Eng adv
eng ext 1
Maths
maths ext1
Software development
Japanese beginners
Biology
Modern history (this is in my reserves, but i want to pick it up as my 14th unit so i can back out of maths 3 u or adv ext1 any time)

Reserves
Economics
Legal studies

I'm a good at all my subjects at school right now without much trouble. I'd really love to do engineering but they don't offer it here. Studies of religion 1U I cant choose because the online form doesn't allow me to do it since I then go under the amount of units and the not-reserves list only allows seven spots so I'm hoping for modern instead.

Anyway, I want to know if Software and Japanese are good to do for HSC because not many people do it and the information booklet doesn't go in depth. I'm not sure what you do in software development exactly. Just coding?

Also is this too much work all together because I love English a lot and good at it, but I've tutored enough for maths not to let it go without breaking my parents' hearts and am also good at it. Also I'm doing prelims right now so I don't want to repeat.

I also have no life goals yet besides uni since I like all subjects except Pdhpe because crap teachers, and I'm going well in all of them so my subjects don't exactly have a theme.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What have been your electives this year/early years?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Looks like a fair selection then however I'm not sure if picking up a hard language such as Japanese will hinder your performance ?

I'd consider Economics/Legal studies over a Japanese in my opinion.

matchalolz

HSC
I really wanted to do software but didn't get to. I've heard that you have to write programs and stuff but you should be fine if you're genuinely interested in coding and learn in your spare time etc.

I think you'll be fine with 14 units tbh. I was doing 12 units and another course outside of school and I managed (even with my crap time management skills). In fact, I think the more time you have, the more time you waste.

Also, I absolutely despise english extension because I realised that i'm more math orientated. I feel like there's so much work for a 1 unit subject whereas with extension 1 math I feel like it's barely any work ;) idk it might just be personal opinions

Japanese, it helps if you're chinese and know some kanji already but you should be fine. I quite liked japanese and the only reason I didn't do it was that I got too nervous during speaking exams

FancyPenguin

HSC
wish my school was like yours, we are allowed a max of 12u(and we have to have a religion so no double extension). I don't get why you're not doing physics since you seem to really like engineering. Some advice which my science teacher gave me was that because i didn't have an idea for what i'd like to do at uni i should pick chem as it is a prerequisite, but only do it if i enjoy it.
Else your subjects seem great and really interesting.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
The Software Design & Development (SDD) Mathematics and Computing course is a very rewarding one. It looks at different ways how software can be developed, the tools that can be used to assist in the process and the interaction between the other components of the computer system. You may choose SDD if you want to study or pursue a career in the IT Industry which includes lots of opportunities, but you must achieve a high ATAR in this course to make the most of it. If you have done previous computing topics such as IPT in previous junior years some of the topics that you will learn in SDD you will be familiar with, otherwise don't pick it as a 'subject gap filler' as people at my school call it haha! But whatever floats your boat, its your future (What you will be doing for the next 1/2 years)...

theoctopus

HSC
Ex 1 English is really good, at least what I'm doing at the moment is fantastic, I think I prefer it to Adv and many other people I've talked to do as well, do you know what topic you'll be studying yet?
Modern History is an excellent choice, it's super interesting and the historical investigation allows you do a heap of research and you can choose a topic that interests you.
I don't really think it matters whether your subjects 'theme' or not but I can tell you that sometimes it helps if two subjects link together, it's not absolutely necessary though, so long as you enjoy what you're doing that's all that matters, most schools let you change subjects in the first 6 weeks or something anyway, no?
And as for the 14 units, it might be a bit much, but if you feel like you can take on those extra units, go for it (I certainly wouldn't be able to though :p ) and if it does get too time consuming you can always drop a subject.
Good luck with your selections! ^_^

nothingspecial

HSC
Thanks for all the information and opinions everyone! I'm not looking at physics too much because the teachers have made it out to be the hardest science subject, and as for Bio, i'm only really interested in the 12 course so I'm thinking if I could pick it up in year 12 instead and do my own learning, which I would then be able to try out physics and see if I can handle it.

Also the physics class is limited, just like software and Japanese, both of which may not run, especially Japanese which i don't want to take if it's at Open High. My teacher said that with the subjects I wanted originally are not popular and I have to be very careful with the priorities online which is hard since there's so much I want to do. Chances are is that I could end up with Bio, Modern and Eco/Legal.

I don't know if I can manage academically since I haven't put in almost any effort during high school so far. I'm living on the edge all the time thinking I'll slip because I don't study at all and spend late nights, every night, but each year I pull in outstanding grades and have gotten top for English, Maths, History and IST to my surprise. I sound like those kids who say they suck but are get all the marks but I'm completely serious, I haven't touched my Math text book for homework since year 8 unless the teach bribed us.

Anyway is transitioning into year 11 going to be a big step up? Because I'm afraid of the sudden attack of workload in year 11 since we already don't have much homework except for maths. In fact we don't have homework at all, save the assignments. Going into high school has broken down my organisation skills to a nill. How should I go about this because even though I've chosen the subjects I am interested in, it doesn't mean I'll be able to organise myself for them.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for all the information and opinions everyone! I'm not looking at physics too much because the teachers have made it out to be the hardest science subject, and as for Bio, i'm only really interested in the 12 course so I'm thinking if I could pick it up in year 12 instead and do my own learning, which I would then be able to try out physics and see if I can handle it.

Also the physics class is limited, just like software and Japanese, both of which may not run, especially Japanese which i don't want to take if it's at Open High. My teacher said that with the subjects I wanted originally are not popular and I have to be very careful with the priorities online which is hard since there's so much I want to do. Chances are is that I could end up with Bio, Modern and Eco/Legal.

I don't know if I can manage academically since I haven't put in almost any effort during high school so far. I'm living on the edge all the time thinking I'll slip because I don't study at all and spend late nights, every night, but each year I pull in outstanding grades and have gotten top for English, Maths, History and IST to my surprise. I sound like those kids who say they suck but are get all the marks but I'm completely serious, I haven't touched my Math text book for homework since year 8 unless the teach bribed us.

Anyway is transitioning into year 11 going to be a big step up? Because I'm afraid of the sudden attack of workload in year 11 since we already don't have much homework except for maths. In fact we don't have homework at all, save the assignments. Going into high school has broken down my organisation skills to a nill. How should I go about this because even though I've chosen the subjects I am interested in, it doesn't mean I'll be able to organise myself for them.
You can't pick up biology in year 12.
You have to do preliminary course first.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Anyway is transitioning into year 11 going to be a big step up? Because I'm afraid of the sudden attack of workload in year 11
Get to the habit of doing homework, if the teacher tell's you to do some question at home do it and and go over notes of what you have learnt etc, you should try and get a study habit going that's what I'm doing at the moment. If you do your homework you shouldn't have a worry transitioning yourself into Year 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)