Need help choosing my subjects (1 Viewer)

Ethaw

HSC
All that I know for sure is 6/12 units.

I know I want to do:

English Advanced (2 Units)

Maths General (Am currently in 5.3) (2 Units)

Business Studies (2 Units)

Some sort of 1 or 2 combination involving religion (Catholic Studies + x (e.g Eng Ext 1 or photography) or SOR 2 or SOR1 + x)

The subjects that I am considering are

Biology

Ancient History
(only one not both)
Modern History

Economics

Biology

Not sure what I want to do but it would probably be in either IT or business.
I am not amazing at maths I used to be pretty good (Best in 5.3) but I dropped off at some stage, don't know if this would affect how I would do in economics either, think algebra is a particular weakness.

Basically I need help choosing what I will do as I have to choose by the end of tonight, hoping to get at least a 90 atar so I can do whatever degree appeals to me at Macquarie or wherever.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Modern history scales a lot better then ancient, so I'd pick that.

Catholic Studies is non atar so doesn't count for 2 units (Which you probably are aware of?)

Biology/Economics has a fair bit of memorising, I'd say Economics is a more rewarding subject effort wise.

What are your current electives/previous years electives and how are you/did you go in them?

Ethaw

HSC
Doing commerce currently and topping the year and also doing IT but I am hating the project process of which is 95% planning and documenting and 5% actually doing stuff with the computer.

I am quite literally the worst out of everything at 5.3 at the moment so that makes me uncertain about economics despite my successes in commerce. I wasn't always as bad and am currently being tutored.
I heard that Ancient History was harder than Modern, I prefer the content in ancient but if modern is easier and scales better that would be ideal.

Ethaw

HSC
Doing commerce currently and topping the year and also doing IT but I am hating the project process of which is 95% planning and documenting and 5% actually doing stuff with the computer.
Only get two electives due to religion.

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Wrong subjects, Choose

English studies, maths general 1, aboriginal studies, drama, visual arts, Industrial tech and PDM

piethepker

HSC
N/A

I am quite literally the worst out of everything at 5.3 at the moment so that makes me uncertain about economics despite my successes in commerce. I wasn't always as bad and am currently being tutored.
I heard that Ancient History was harder than Modern, I prefer the content in ancient but if modern is easier and scales better that would be ideal.
You didn't top the year, LIES! You got a commitment award.

Do biology so your in the same as class as me.

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Classmates correcting each other, this is what happens when you and your friend use the BOS forums.
LOL

piethepker

HSC
N/A
I think i told him to come on here to help choosing subjects actually.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

The difficulty level of Ancient and Modern will depend on the individual - having taught many, many students who have done both I have students every year where one say Ancient is harder than Modern while another will say the exact opposite.

The exam structure is very similar except that Modern has 2 25 mark essays while Ancient has 1 25 mark essay and 1 question made up of 4 - 5 sections with a range of marks from 1 - 15.

Otherwise they have personalities examined via a 2 part response and the Core - where Modern's core is more structured compared to Ancient's but as you have to actually deal with unseen sources either way your can't actually memorise a response.

Ethaw

HSC

Do biology so your in the same as class as me.
Actually I did get the highest marks in the assessments, I just didn't get the excellence award due to behaviour and got given 2nd place i.e commitment award.

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Actually I did get the highest marks in the assessments, I just didn't get the excellence award due to behaviour and got given 2nd place i.e commitment award.
You got 19/20 in the legal assignment and eric got 20/20 and he got 20/20 in the other one too

Thats a lie and you know it. Stop justifying yourself to online people

Ethaw

HSC
And topped is a general term that anyone in top 3 could use.... It wasn't a direct "first place" which I did technically get anyway.
Oh and remind me what you got?

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Lol don't want to start any biff here mate. just having some fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)