essays (1 Viewer)

gc653

HSC
Is it possible that you can be good at essay's in other subjects (humanities like commerce, history etc) but struggle in English essay's??? Is this normal? Just want to know if anyone else is like me in this case.

Also I chose my subjects for next year which include
legal studies
economics
modern history
english advanced
ext 1 maths
SOR II

I know that a lot of my subjects involve heavy content and essay writing but is the essay writing manageable?

Last edited:

mb98

HSC
YES! I though I was the only one. :) I can never do well at English Essays, but am ok at history.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yes, English essays are a different nature to other subjects essays. English has deconstructing, critically analyzing etc-all the hard stuff.

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Modern History: Rather than recounting facts, you need to analyse the impact of the event and explain cause and effect. (I still have trouble with this so more practice for me :haha: )
Economics: Get straight to the point - no waffle. Define the key terms and support your argument with stats.
English: Follow the structure for each body paragraph - make a point, list technique and quote, and specify the effect and link back to the question.

Can't speak for the other subs but this is what I found over time. But really, the essay structure remains the same for any humanities subjects - there's just subtle differences for each.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep very possible, English essays are a 'unique' creature.

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Modern essays are source based usually. Instead of 'telling a story' you need to show how something attributed to an event or movement ect. That's when you need to use source material ie. photos, diary entries, speeches, songs (the list goes on).

eg. if you have a question like "Explain the nature of imperial power in the late 19th Century":
- you can't just list names and places
- you must use sources to back up what you are saying
- (like all essays) you must target the HSC verb: 'explain'. That means you need to relate cause and effect.

Get in the habit of following a format for every paragraph in year 10 and early year 11.
Our modern history teacher used 'TEEEL': Topic Sentence. Example. Explain. Evaluate. Link.
As you get more sufficient in writing essays you can loosen the strict paragraph structure a little so it reads smoother.

Also remember that SOR is a history subject, so you will use a similar sort of structure as in Modern. Sources in SOR are of upmost importance.

English however calls for you to break apart the text you are studying to answer the question. Target the verb before you start writing so you know how to relate your thesis to the question.
So many people find themselves just relaying the plot or discussing themes in the text without including literary/ visual/ aural techniques in their essays.

In English perhaps start are using the Topic, Explain, Quote, Technique, Analyse, Evaluate/Link, structure. Using a quote or example and analysing the technique employed is essential to answer the question in the form of a analytical essay.
Your relationship with English will hinge around your ability to think of original ideas instead of regurgitating the usual cliché that most of the English summary textbooks roll out. Broaden your mind! And remember, as long as you can back up your thesis ideas with creative explanations in the text you will not be wrong.

PM me if you have any further queries :).

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes i can write legal essays that will give me 95-100% in my sleep yet every day is a continual struggle to keep my english essays above 60%

For legal essays instead of quotes as evidence you can use cases ( e.g. R V LMW) , media articles and legislation. I would say If you were pretty good at commerce and possibly year 10 geo then you will be all good for legal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)