Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

Pranava

HSC
N/A
Hello,

I am a year 10 student worrying about my subject selections. I was wondering if the yr 11 - 12 physics course required an in depth knowledge of maths and if a person doing 2 unit mathematics would be suited for it. My selections at the moment are:
-Physics
-Chemistry
-3 unit maths
-Advanced English
-Economics
-Psychology

I have chosen 3 unit even though at the moment i may not be capable of doing it, i have invested into a math tutor to develop my mathematics knowledge so in year 11 and 12 i will have fewer problems doing more advanced math. Ill be glad to hear thoughts from the community and willing to receive any kind of advice.

Yours sincerely, Pranava.

FancyPenguin

HSC
Hi,
From what i've been told from my math and science teachers the physics course no longer requires strong math skills and is more conceptual. Mathematics is more then enough to do physics, so long as you understand the concepts i guess you'll be fine.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
physics at HSC level has no real maths in it. stuff from year 8-10 will suffice

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Physics is more like Advanced English, forming well structured sentences on ideas and concepts and of course for the math part-Mem of formulas and some substitution

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
If you're doing 3U just for the sake of HSC physics, you're wasting your time. The maths required in physics is year 9 stuff.

Feynman

HSC
Physics is more like Advanced English, forming well structured sentences on ideas and concepts and of course for the math part-Mem of formulas and some substitution
But you're in year 10 how can you possibly have a valid opinion on this topic

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
But you're in year 10 how can you possibly have a valid opinion on this topic
I know ok? I just know, knowledge that I have accumulated over the past 2 years and continuing...
Please have a think again about what this guy knows and doesn't know about certain topics then talk.
Thanks, till next time mate...

bakstar

HSC
Physics maths for the most part is really basic. Plugging in data into equations and solving. Pretty much all 3U maths topic extend far over what's needed in physics. If your not good at maths or think you can't handle it, you don't need to do it for physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)