Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Pranava

HSC
N/A
Hi there,

Why is everyone inclined into choosing harder subjects such as phys, chem, 3 unit math and advanced eng when they could be getting top marks for easier subjects like general math and standard english. I know that scaling is involved but does that really matter if you're achieving scores of 95+ in general math compared to getting a 90-80 in phys, chem or adv eng? Why are these subjects shunned and thought to result in low atar compared to harder, high scaling subjects?

Thanks Pranava

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Because they want to push themselves to achieve the same mark in something harder.

bangladesh

HSC
You've answered your own question.

an 85 in 4u maths for example is equivilant to like 96-7 in general maths.

matchalolz

HSC
If you're relatively smart compared to others in the state, go for "higher scaling" subjects because it's more worth it.
I was going to do the "asian 5" combo but stopped myself last minute because I realised I had no interest in physics or chemistry. On the other hand, if I liked science, I so would have taken phys and chem because sitting there and memorising shit for easier subjects isn't as rewarding.

All in all, if you're lucky enough that you happen to be interested in science and maths, go for the higher scaling subjects

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't choose subjects based on scaling! It changes from year to year, depending on the cohort. To maximize your marks, choose subjects you enjoy!

bakstar

HSC
Even though it changes every year. Each subject has a general level of scaling it usually gets every year relative to other subjects.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Hi there,

Why is everyone inclined into choosing harder subjects such as phys, chem, 3 unit math and advanced eng when they could be getting top marks for easier subjects like general math and standard english. I know that scaling is involved but does that really matter if you're achieving scores of 95+ in general math compared to getting a 90-80 in phys, chem or adv eng? Why are these subjects shunned and thought to result in low atar compared to harder, high scaling subjects?

Thanks Pranava
lol

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
In 'easier' (relative to each individual) subjects stupid mistakes are more costly in terms of scaling etc.

FancyPenguin

HSC
Also important to remember university prerequisites like 3uint math, physics and chem which are needed for the engo/science/med

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Why would you want to limit yourself to a lower subject instead of challenging yourself?

For example, if your playing cricket

Would you rather dominate playing for u16s, coming 1st, or playing u18s and coming 5/6th, with the potential of pushing yourself and coming 1st?

Pick the harder comp any day....

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Also important to remember university prerequisites like 3uint math, physics and chem which are needed for the engo/science/med
for med there are no prerequisites only chem and bio is recommended and 2 units of english.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
for med there are no prerequisites only chem and bio is recommended and 2 units of english.
holy shit, please don't talk shit if you don't have proper info. Yes, in NSW unis there are no prereq, but many interstate ones do have prereq subjects.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
holy shit, please don't talk shit if you don't have proper info. Yes, in NSW unis there are no prereq, but many interstate ones do have prereq subjects.
yep, i was implying nsw uni's and i don't know much interstate.

FancyPenguin

HSC
really? I honestly thought chem was a prerequisite at Usyd and UNSW, guess my 2017 NSW uni prerequisite book was wrong.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
really? I honestly thought chem was a prerequisite at Usyd and UNSW, guess my 2017 NSW uni prerequisite book was wrong.
It isn't, but you would be fucking retarded if you chose med without taking chemistry in high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)