Is Matrix Education worth the money? (1 Viewer)

nununana

HSC
N/A
I want to do tutoring next year for year 10. I've read a lot of good reviews about Matrix Education. But the thing is, it's pretty expensive ($41.80 per hour!)
Is Matrix Education good for mathematics, science and english?
Thanks!

Fiction

HSC
Depends. Everyone has a different learning style, whether that be self-studying or tutoring, self-learning, or having others set a pace for you, learning ahead, aural, visual, kinetic etc. Matrix basically has this system where in Maths (not sure about other subjects) they give you two booklets. On is theory and the questions within it is meant to be completed in class, the other is a homework book with "worked solutions" online in the matrix website (this wasn't working during my stay so idk how good it is).

I tutored with Matrix for about 2 terms in year 11. My teacher was awesome, but apparently another teacher also teaching year 11 ext maths wasn't that good. So your learning experience with Matrix - and I'd imagine with many other tutoring colleges, may vary depending on which educator you get. For me, my experience with matrix was dampened by the disorganisation the company was experiencing during my stay. I also found the content quite boring, and the homework became tedious (Some questions seemed impossible because of the convoluted theory expressed in the theory booklet). The lessons I took were 3 hours in length with one break in between. If you have a short attention span matrix may not be the best tutoring college. Some classrooms in matrix are arranged horribly in that some of the seating arrangements in certain classrooms, particularly on the sides, become hard to see the board with.The boards in the classrooms I've been, are basically one whole wall. Some seats are too close to the whiteboard/screen, so if you get a teacher who does write across many boards, you won't see some information unless you move. This may become an issue in a full or almost full classroom where you can't move (at least not in one lesson).

Anyways, I left because I felt I wasn't learning much from Matrix with my short attention span, but I know several kids from my school who have tutored with matrix for a long time (like a year?). That said IMHO matrix is like this "mainstream" tutoring centre which you go to because of how well known they are. Ideally you want to go to a smaller less known tutoring college which suits your tastes as an individual. You could also consider private tutoring, there are several tutors who offer maths tutoring for around the same price as matrix offers group tutoring for (around 40$).

Last edited:

barcyy

HSC
My family is pretty tight on the $$$ and i don't mean they don't want to spend, the other financially tight option. Anyhow, i started Matrix and i'm doing Ext1 Maths, Physics & Eng. Science is really good there and so is English and i guess Maths is but it depends on your teacher for Maths. Matrix is a good tutor imo and offers a broad number of means of learning such as workshops if you don't understand anything and feedback from teachers. A lot is done online but the class size is like 10-15 tops and the classrooms in general are a good size. The workbook you collect are organised really well compared to other tutors i've been to so i would honestly try it out for at least a term if i were you. I tried it out by going to a year 10 maths holiday course which got me used to how Matrix worked.

Lithone

HSC
If you have a short attention span matrix may not be the best tutoring college. Some classrooms in matrix are arranged horribly in that some of the seating arrangements in certain classrooms, particularly on the sides, become hard to see the board with.The boards in the classrooms I've been, are basically one whole wall. Some seats are too close to the whiteboard/screen, so if you get a teacher who does write across many boards, you won't see some information unless you move. This may become an issue in a full or almost full classroom where you can't move (at least not in one lesson).
Kinda a minor problem but really true....

I've gone to matrix for almost a year now and true, the information's all in the theory books they give you and the teachers are mainly just there to guide you through it and explain the stuff you don't understand while you highlight the important bits. And they're not really big on getting answers out of kids who prefer not to speak up in class so if you really wanna learn, you need to able to concentrate (for the whole 3 hours...) and participate if you want. Also yeah because of that - really easy to zone out (or maybe it's just me lol) esp if it's an after school class.

I'd say:
Sciences: Matrix is really good!!! They go in depth with the concepts and the format is nice and easy to read (tho I quit bio because it's basically just content heheh)
Adv Eng: I went to one trial lesson and I didn't like it - but then again I can't stand group eng tutoring in general
Maths: Didn't go but heard it's not too good - they teach it like science? when maths is a completely different teaching style

And true it is much $$$ so make sure you really make use of them if you do join :)

Georgiiaa

HSC
Im currently in yr 10, and have been going to matrix since I've been in yr7. I do english and maths accelerated and find it incredibly excellent, but only if you are motivated to be there and to do the work.

Flop21

HSC
My family is pretty tight on the $$$ and i don't mean they don't want to spend, the other financially tight option. Anyhow, i started Matrix and i'm doing Ext1 Maths, Physics & Eng. Science is really good there and so is English and i guess Maths is but it depends on your teacher for Maths. Matrix is a good tutor imo and offers a broad number of means of learning such as workshops if you don't understand anything and feedback from teachers. A lot is done online but the class size is like 10-15 tops and the classrooms in general are a good size. The workbook you collect are organised really well compared to other tutors i've been to so i would honestly try it out for at least a term if i were you. I tried it out by going to a year 10 maths holiday course which got me used to how Matrix worked.
If you're tight on money, don't go to Matrix or any other expensive tutoring centre. Get a private tutor that goes for $25 an hour.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I heard matrix is straight up shit for the sciences (unless you get a good teacher like DJ but it's rare)

You're better off going to Mr Zhang because it's cheaper and better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)