Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

sly chan

HSC
Hi guys,

I am currently making choices for Year 11 subjects. I am definitely doing ESL, 3U Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, but as my school require 14 units, i need to do one more subject...I am choosing between legal studies, geography, economics and Japanese Beginners...

I want to get into medicine/science in the future..Which subject do you think will be most helpful?

Thanks

alimaliz

HSC
Perhaps pdhpe? It helps when you do Biology. Japanese beginners is pretty easy and fun. I'm not too sure about the others but I'm doing the same subjects as you ^.^ I did business studies which is also pretty easy but if you don't want a heavy work load, I think japanese it fine.

sly chan

HSC
Thanks, but I am worry that if I learn Japanese, its grammar and structure will confuse my english writing....
Once again, thank you

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm pretty sure that you are being forced to pick something else up because you have to do minimum 12 units for preliminary as per the BOSTES requirement.

If you pick up one more subject, that should be 13 units right?

Pick what you think is most interesting to you personally and you think you will enjoy most. More than likely, if you enjoy the subject then you will do good at it by putting more effort into it.

Between Legal Studies, Geography, Economics, Japanese Beginners I would say neither would be more relevant than another towards Medicine.

However for Science, maybe Geography or Economics would be a bit more relatable but highly unlikely.

Lithone

HSC
Do what you want to do - otheewise you're probably just gonna end up dropping.

If you really can't pick tho - eco scales the best haha which really helps if you're aiming for medicine.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you enjoy geography do geography.

Economics is really hard subject to study for if you don't get some kind of enjoyment out of it...

What are you leaning towards?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

I am currently making choices for Year 11 subjects. I am definitely doing ESL, 3U Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, but as my school require 14 units, i need to do one more subject...I am choosing between legal studies, geography, economics and Japanese Beginners...

I want to get into medicine/science in the future..Which subject do you think will be most helpful?

Thanks
Wow your school is seriously mean. The amount you are required for Year 11 is 12 units. (some people do 13, I did 13, but ITVET was compressed into a 1U course)
Pick something you are passionate about, but are okay with dropping at the end of Year 11.
BTW Japanese shouldn't affect your English.

CanU_Not

HSC
Depends- are you more of a content person or a concept person?
Legal and geography are quite content-based. So if you're good at memorising- you could probably play it to your strengths. Taking a language could be lots of fun because you also learn the culture and context of the language. I know Japanese, in my school, offers quite a few opportunities to travel- you could enquire about that if you're interested.

I noticed all your options are pretty essay-ey whereas your subjects are less essay-focused. If you don't like writing essays your should probably reconsider.

The only subject I can speak from experience is eco. Personally, I reckon economics is sort of half-concept/ half content which you could probably get by if your pretty apathetic towards it (like me lol). It's one of these subjects are more hit-and-miss. I know a few friends who thought they wanted to go into finance and banking in Uni, thought they would love eco, did it, hated it and dropped it. If you're fairly apathetic however, you may want to consider it because of its scaling (I think it scales as well as science- which isn't that great anyways).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I used my biology knowledge for geography and vice-versa.

And who said colouring wasnt fun?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

Thanks
Your only doing 11 units!

sly chan

HSC
Previously I got a kind of taste lessons for those subjects. I've tried Japanese, but since I've not watched anime before, I feel quite left out and I've tried legal studies, the content is quite interesting but the language is pretty demanding for me. I also tried geography, I absolutely love the teacher, but if speaking from the content, I am not that interested. I've never learnt a language before, so I don't know what to be expected from Japanese Beginners, and I am not sure will be interested in its content..

photastic

HSC
Just do the subjects you like and please do not do 14 units in year 12. Please drop to 10 or 11 units because 12 units killed me.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
hi guys,

i am currently making choices for year 11 subjects. I am definitely doing esl, 3u maths, physics, chemistry, biology, but as my school require 14 units, i need to do one more subject...i am choosing between legal studies, geography, economics and japanese beginners...

i want to get into medicine/science in the future..which subject do you think will be most helpful?

Thanks
do not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)