Geography or economics (1 Viewer)

sly chan

HSC
Hi, I am currently choosing my last subject for Year 11...
So Geography or Economics?
They are both humanities,
I know economics scale better, but is it much harder?
I am doing Extension 1 maths, all three sciences and ESL, which one will be better for me?
I know the teacher for geography in our school is great....but does the teacher actually matter?
I don't really like Year 9 and 10 Australian geography, and I got 85 and 80 for half yearly and yearly test and 75 for field trip test. I've tried economics in year 10 commerce, and sometimes the concepts confuse me.

Sorry for the long list of questions. Thank you for reading through all of them and hope to hear your advice soon!!

Thank you

Smooth Operator

HSC
Economics 4 lyf.

I didn't do geography for Prelim or HSC but IMO Economics is a great subject and very useful and relevant in real life. From what I've heard it is comparably much better as a subject in contributing to your ATAR for a variety of reasons due to general cohorts taking up the two subjects and scaling etc..
You'll find Year 10 Commerce also will help you at the beginning of Preliminary Economics.

Edit: Yes the teacher does matter, but in order to succeed/achieve great results in Year 11 and 12 you need to rely also on yourself and to a much less extent those in your cohort.

Last edited:

Axio

=o
HSC
I am doing Extension 1 maths, all three sciences and ESL, which one will be better for me?
I know the teacher for geography in our school is great....but does the teacher actually matter?
I don't really like Year 9 and 10 Australian geography, and I got 85 and 80 for half yearly and yearly test and 75 for field trip test. I've tried economics in year 10 commerce, and sometimes the concepts confuse me.

Sorry for the long list of questions. Thank you for reading through all of them and hope to hear your advice soon!!

Thank you
Great teachers make an unbelievable difference to how much you enjoy and excel at a subject.

Although I haven't done it, geography does get much better in Year 11 and 12.

Economics is a very enjoyable subject too, a few of the concepts can be a bit difficult but it is mainly the amount of content and writing ability required that makes it a 'harder' subject.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say the quality of the teacher matters especially in subjects like economics.
Have a flick through the year 11/12 course textbooks for both subjects. Geography course gets a lot more interesting in years 11/12.
Most people find year 11 economics really dry but find the HSC course a lot more interesting.

In your situation I'd probably lean towards geography.

photastic

HSC
Economics is boring and comparing to geography a lot more harder in terms of quantity and quality of the content. However, scaling isn't that bad for both subjects, but all depends on your interests and academic abilities.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad

Thank you
I disagree with Axio's notion that you should decide to do a subject, based upon a teacher. You may have another teacher, and ultimately, this doesn't set you up well for university or other ambitions.

I felt that I enjoyed Economics because it required much of the same logical processes as Mathematics, which I also enjoyed. However, as an ESL student, you may find the strenuous focus upon essay writing difficult to deal with (depending on your English ability, I don't know how good you are at writing).

Personally, I think you should look at the 2013 HSC exams for both subjects, and get a feel for the requirements of the subject, in terms of the writing. Don't base your choice upon Y10 marks, they have no correlation towards your capacity to excel in the corresponding HSC subjects.

Also, consider your university aspirations. As someone who is doing MX1/Phys/Chem/Bio in Y11, I'm assuming you're more interested in Engineering or Medicine. Perhaps a subject like Engineering Studies, which has significant overlap with Extension Maths and Science will suit you better, if that is available at your school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)