Senior High-School Help (1 Viewer)

anshul_arora

HSC
Hi,
I just want to get advice on what school to go to in my senior high-schooling years. I am going to start year 10 next year. I want to go to a selective high-school but I didn’t get so good yearly marks most of them were around 70%. Is your report really important or the test they give you?
Also if I can’t make a selective school what school should I apply for, I was thinking about St Marys Senior High-School.
*What schools should I apply for?
*What non-selective school to go?
*Any study tips would be helpful

Thanks for all the help in advance:awesome:

coyazayo

HSC
Depends where you live. If you live up north try Killara High.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I want to go to a selective high-school but I didn’t get so good yearly marks most of them were around 70%. Is your report really important or the test they give you?

*What schools should I apply for?
Depends on the school.

For schools that do not set entrance exams (e.g. Sydney Boys, Sydney Girls), your chances of success will be 100% based on your application (academic reports, extra curricular activities, NAPLAN results, etc.).

Theoretically, selective schools, which do set entrance exams, would make the weighting - 50% application and 50% entrance exam results.

However, some selective schools tend to place much more emphasis on the student's entrance exam results (e.g. Hurlstone, Fort Street).

Nevertheless, both your academic reports and entrance exam results are important for most schools.

Ideally, you want to apply for the selective schools that are the closest to you (in terms of location and travelling distance).

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
^ edit to above: St George Girls/Sydney Tech (boys)
although I would note that since you are applying for a school in St Marys I would assume you are able to get there
in which case I would recommended Penrith or Girraween, both of which are not too long train rides from St Marys.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
This is my personal experience. I remember when I tried to apply for some Selective schools.
Ranked first in Year 7/8 with an amazing all-As, above 95% for every subject.
And I still didn't get accepted into several selective schools. They took my money and probably chucked my scanned files out without even looking at them.

Go to a school WITH A GOOD REPUTATION. They don't have to be the very best, just a school with a decent ranking, good word going around. You don't want to attend a school where students are known to get up to the naughty.

It is NOT the end of the world. Selective doesn't mean you will definitely get into the university you want or acquire the ATAR you dream of. [Hard work and determination does.]

Be the student who has the passion to excel. Your teachers and parents can support you in every way, psychologically and financially, but if you don't choose to work hard and pursue your visions, then there is no point.

How do I know that going to a normal school will be okay? My boyfriend is a selective student and his lack of determination in Year 11 sent him plummeting, and I just go to a normal, good non-selective school and work off my ass to achieve progress towards my ATAR. I can tell that, he takes his school environment for granted sometimes - but its okay to learn from your own mistakes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)