this is kind of embarrassing but can someone help me with year9 maths (1 Viewer)

notrealemily

HSC
i don't really understand the whole concept of binomial products :c

(i know pretty much everyone thinks 'lel algebra is ez' but it's the topic of maths i struggle the most with LOL I'M SRY. )

HSC
binomial products meaning the multiplication of 2 terms?
e.g. (x+3)(x-4) if that is the case separate them and take step by step
x(x-4)+3(x-4)
x^2 - 4x +3x -12
simplifying like terms
x^2 - x - 12

teridax

HSC
N/A
binomial products meaning the multiplication of 2 terms?
e.g. (x+3)(x-4) if that is the case separate them and take step by step
x(x-4)+3(x-4)
x^2 - 4x +3x -12
simplifying like terms
x^2 - x - 12
If you wanna save time, step two is not necessary. Just multiply the 1st constant by the 3rd constant, 2nd by 3rd, 2nd by 4th and 1st by 3rd. Immediately, you will get the third step where simplification is required.

But yeah, binomial products is the product of two binomial expressions, as a binomial itself is an expression consisting of two terms. Once you fiddle with it, it's not too difficult.

HSC
If you wanna save time, step two is not necessary. Just multiply the 1st constant by the 3rd constant, 2nd by 3rd, 2nd by 4th and 1st by 3rd. Immediately, you will get the third step where simplification is required.

But yeah, binomial products is the product of two binomial expressions, as a binomial itself is an expression consisting of two terms. Once you fiddle with it, it's not too difficult.

yeah, that step is done in my head. However, when I was in junior years and trying grasp what I was actually doing, I did that even if it was tedious

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
FOIL technique, everyone should know this.

Flop21

HSC

yeah, that step is done in my head. However, when I was in junior years and trying grasp what I was actually doing, I did that even if it was tedious
This!

We use to call it the 'CLAW'. Because it looks like a claw.

You literally just do what snowflakeptical drew every time.

___

By the way, quick tip. If you get something like (x+1)^2 you need to go ahead and write it out like (x+1)(x+1) and do what I just mentioned. You can't just square the insides.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I just covered exactly this topic and quadratic factorisation to my new Yr-10 student an hour or two ago. It is so easy and if not learn't correctly, can become hard. I recall a student of mine (from an expensive private school) showing a technique for factorising quadratics - involving a sequence of steps (an algorithm) to ensure students get the factorisation right. The process seems to be based on the idea that you invest a few additional steps to make sure, if you follow the process correctly, you will always get it right. So the additional steps is a relatively small cost to ensure a foolproof method for factorisation.

Fascinated, I thought about it. Why all this beat-about-the-bush approach to a simple problem, easily done in 2 or 3 steps? I later referred to such elaborate factorisation methods as witchcraft! You'll be surprised how many find factorising a quadratic hard.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)