**URGENT** (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
My speech is due tomorrow and i just basically wrote up a speech. I need ratings and suggestions to improve it.
The topic is; Main character of the play Macbeth and why.

Good afternoon fellow classmates and Ms Weeks. Today I will be talking about the three witches in Shakespeare’s play Macbeth because I believe that they are the main characters of the play.

The witches are introduced to the plot with the quote “"When shall we three meet again? / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?" which gives an interesting and mystical start to the play. It also gives a sense that something “unusual” is going to happen.

The three witches maneuver the play as they instigate macbeth’s future evil ambitions for power by giving him the prophecies to become a king. They are also the source to macbeth going against his destiny as a soldier which leads to the murder of King Duncan.

Even though Lady Macbeth is one of the main contributors to Macbeth’s evil desires, the three witches are always there to give macbeth constant fear and tempt him to do evil doings to keep his power and “stabilize” anyone who comes in the way of his throne.

Banquo and his son also came victim to the witches prophecies. The prophecy of banquo’s son ruling after him made him feel insecure so macbeth kills him and his son.

Furthermore when everything is stable, the witches once again come and become the turning point of the play again by giving more prophecies but in the state of apparitions. Apparition 1 Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth. Beware Macduff. Beware the Thane of Fife", Apparation 2 "Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn the power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth", Apparation 3 "Be lion-mettled, proud; and take no care who chafs, who frets, or where conspirers are: Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be until great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill shall come against him".

This results in macbeth being more paranoid and overconfidence. It also leads to the murder of macduff’s family in the fall out of the the witches predictions.

Macbeth’s inevitable destruction is the cause of the three witches and their prophecies which lead to macbeth’s ambitions being evil because of the constant fear and insecurity brung up upon him by the three witches throughout the play.

p.s i havent edited or anything yet so yeah..

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I can't remember too well but with Shakespeare, I would say that he usually has a few characters which influence the main character (for example, the ghosts).

So to add to your speech, you could argue with the main character being the one under influence and being a product of their time.

Probably not the best argument, but something you could use if you don't know what else to add and also be unique from the rest of the class having a different perspective of it.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hey Rathin :)

I did a study of Macbeth when I was in Year 10, too :) Your speech seems a bit short- (although you didn't really specify a time limit). The good aspects of your speech is that it incorporates, to an extent, close textual analysis and you attempt to link it into the question. However, you should really consider the gist of your argument.

Are you really sure that the 3 Witches are the main characters of the play? In my opinion, they only serve as a plot devices. Lady Macbeth is pivotal through the course of the play, as she has some very interesting, rich and complex lines/ dialogue. But if you're set in defending your stance, which is VERY unique, then I think you should conclude with a statement from these 3 witches that very well encapsulates your thesis statement.

Make sure to edit, too! :) (You did say you haven't edited, but just a reminder). Good luck, hopefully it works out! :D

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
the time limit is 2-3min and i would of picked macbeth but its too broad..he has done sooooo many things to change the outcomes and stuff that it would be a 10 min speech lol..but thanks for the opinion!

xx_mandie_xx

HSC
this is probably a bit late, but you can use this as future reference:
- Consider the age of people listening to speech (your peers and also your teacher), consider their demographics, so for your peers, male/female around 14-16-ish, find topics that interest them. I go to a girl school and feminism always interests my peers and the female teachers. Think about the age/gender of your teacher? Is he/she old or relatively young? what type of humour would appeal to them?
-Rhetorical questions, to engage with audience can be used?
-If your teacher is fairly young and not particularly strict, you may be able to get away with a more "casual" speech. casual as in language less "awkward", you can make it sound smooth by writing as though you were talking to someone face to face, helpful examples you can find on youtube are ted talks
-Humour (don't try too hard, let your quirky-ness show through, it can really helpt to make a speech your own rather than those boring generic speeches

Hope you do well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)