Extension English AND Extension Maths (1 Viewer)

Dolfingerpie

HSC
I've been doing pretty well in both subjects, getting the 2nd best mark in the entire grade for maths 5.3 and getting around 4th best mark for the entire grade for English (presumably I would say there's around 4-5 people who got 1st place in maths and like 15-20 people who got better than me in English)
I was recommended both extension Maths and extension English, but I'm scared it'll stress me too much because 1.I'm already doing an accelerated IPT course and have to sit my HSC exam in Year 11 therefore I don't want to stress out too much 2.Everyone at my school says it's too hard to do extension English and extension Maths at the same time
For Year 12 I'm not planning to do any Extension 2
I want a good ATAR because of a course I want to get in. Also, extension subjects are scaled well.
Do you think I should do both extensions?

Axio

=o
HSC
Why not? If you find it too difficult then drop one (or both of them) at the end of Year 11.

But don't pick them just for scaling...

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I did both extension english and extension maths and it was fine:)-don't worry too much about what other people say-just have a go-and as people have said, if you find it too difficult to juggle, you can drop one of these subjects or both.

falances

HSC
Hi!! Around 95% of my grade (year 11) currently do eng ext and eng math and a number of them are accelerated in subjects such as business studies, maths etc. I reckon you can definitely do it. It might sound intimidating to pick up both extensions but think about those who do 4u maths and 4u english during their hsc (yes my school is a bit crazy hahaha). I'd say do both extensions since you can always drop one unit or pick up a unit in year 12 :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I did Extension 2 English and Extension 2 Maths, in fact they're my main areas of study even today (see degree in sig)

do what you want

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I'm doing both Mathematics 3U and English 3U with an Accelerated Business Studies class while maintaining 2nd place in HSC Business.

People do both, its not as frequent because people are intimidated, but its been done all over NSW by thousands of students. There are only about 3 of us who are doing that in my school, mainly because my school is not a selective, rather its just a rank 150 - 200 non-selective school

Yes, there is A LOT of work, the trouble I find most is that for English Extension 1, although I was coming top 5 in Year 10 and since Year 7, a lot of things change and English is VERY different to junior school English - keep that in mind.
With Mathematics Extension, its all harder work and more about you practising.

Most stressing thing is that I actually spend hours after school which tires me with my extra tuition.

But good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)