Newbie questions about Year 11 subjects and results (1 Viewer)

Blue Tongue

HSC
Hello,

It might sound a bit dumb :blink2: but I would like to know:

1. Are the Year 11 materials tested in HSC exam as well?
  2. Are the Year 11 results included in the calculation of HSC result?

Thanks a million!

blackbird_14

HSC
Hello,

It might sound a bit dumb :blink2: but I would like to know:

1. Are the Year 11 materials tested in HSC exam as well?
  2. Are the Year 11 results included in the calculation of HSC result?

Thanks a million!
1) I believe only prelim maths is tested at hsc level. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. Other subjects have transferable skills though, like essay writing, extended response writing in different subjects, compositions for arts etc.
2) Nope. Year 12 is a clean slate. Doesn't matter how well or bad you do in Year 11, none of it counts towards the hsc and atar. Though being said, if you haven't learnt the skills, or had the study plan to conquer year 11, you probably will struggle with year 12.

astroman

HSC
Are the Year 11 materials tested in HSC exam as well?
Only for maths, upto 40% of the HSC exam can include year 11 content, however it is usually not this much.
Are the Year 11 results included in the calculation of HSC result?
No, never. However some scholarships and job applications will look at your year 11 results.

Blue Tongue

HSC
1) I believe only prelim maths is tested at hsc level. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. Other subjects have transferable skills though, like essay writing, extended response writing in different subjects, compositions for arts etc.
That would be great!
So, if I have to study "Waves and Communications" in Physics in Yr 11, it won't be tested in HSC.
Is that correct?

Last edited:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
1. Most of the preliminary content you learn are the basics of HSC. I would just work hard in understanding and being good at exams in Year 11, whether or not you need the information for Year 12, because you never know.

2. And no! Year 11 is the only time you can really make mistakes and learn from them in your senior year :)

Good luck.

blackbird_14

HSC
That would be great!
So, if I have to study "Waves and Communications" in Physics in Yr 11, it won't be tested in HSC.
Is that correct?
Well I don't do physics so I wouldn't have a clue, but most likely (I won't say defintely) it won't be tested.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
That would be great!
Is that correct?
I can confirm almost none of it will be tested in the HSC-but some of the foundation knowledge is crucial for understanding some parts of HSC physics later on.

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
1) Indirectly. You'll build on concepts learnt in year 11 though, so don't neglect that stuff!
2) No. Year 11 only affects your entry into extension courses. I did rather poorly in year 11 but I did well in year 12. Still got 98.1 ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)