Yr 11 Subject Selection Help!? (1 Viewer)

despyg

HSC
Im currently in yr 10, doing 3u maths acceleration and finding it difficult although in yr 11 I would like to do the following:
3U Maths, Bio, Japanese Beginners, SOR1(compulsory), Adv english, and either physics or chemistry.
My first question is , although it may sound silly what is easier chem or physics? Ive heard people say chem is memory based only but im not sure , im having a hard time choosing. what has less content and can go well in with less study so mostly logic based.
I would like to drop a subject in yr12 and go forward with 4u math.
i do want to achieve an atar of 95+, although i am very lazy and do need to fix my terrible work habits.
i just would like some advice ! My career path is not clear although maybe math or science based with good job availabilities, any suggestions? thanks
also is japanese beginners a risk to my atar? I have it as i enjoy it and can be my relaxation subject since im not aiming for a 99+ atar.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
you can do well in any subjects regardless of the scaling, 99. something dux from my school a few years back did subjects like drama, pe and textiles, she rekt the hsc hard

gc653

HSC
From what my friends have told me both physics and chem both involve heavy content but I reckon you should choose physics as it really complements with your 3 or 4 unit math (I have a friend who does physics and accelerated math). Physics also keeps your career options open especially if you are interesting in engineering where physics is a prerequisite.
But the most important thing is to choose subjects your interested in so its a good thing your wanting to chose Japanese beginners. If your interested and motivated to do well in this subject it definitely won't become a risk for your ATAR!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
From what my friends have told me both physics and chem both involve heavy content but I reckon you should choose physics as it really complements with your 3 or 4 unit math (I have a friend who does physics and accelerated math). Physics also keeps your career options open especially if you are interesting in engineering where physics is a prerequisite.
But the most important thing is to choose subjects your interested in so its a good thing your wanting to chose Japanese beginners. If your interested and motivated to do well in this subject it definitely won't become a risk for your ATAR!
To be honest though, doing a bridging course in HSC physics would get one up to speed with prerequisite for engineering course in a very short amount of time, the physics one learns in HSC level is not very helpful for uni at all-because in uni, it is much more maths focused than the HSC. I think there's always a danger to rely on certain HSC subjects as keeping open one's options for the future, that's more to do with university course selections than HSC ones, although one can argue HSC course selection may indirectly affect ATAR and hence choices in uni, but with the amount of alternate pathways available these days, that contention is often weakly held.

In picking between chemistry and physics, think about what you like more-both will require a significant amount of work and I think even beyond all the questions OP asked, it is very important to fix the attitude towards studying-because the dream ATAR will not magically be guarantee without some substantial hard work in all subjects. Remember this, changing your attitude will a major step to improving your academic results. Feel free to check out more study tips and tricks in my senior study guide:) http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Don't ask what is easier. Which science are you stronger at? I know that when I was in Year 10, my mum said I had to either to Physics or Chemistry and in my mind, I knew that from a taste of Year 10 Chemistry, I was terrible at understanding the equations and remembering all the combustion....decomposition stuff and that it was stressful to remember. But I also remember that I really enjoyed the Biology part and didn't suffer with the basic Motion we covered in Year 9/10. So I chose Physics.

sharoooooo

HSC
Personally, i think that Chem is easier for me to understand. Physics can be a bit tricky sometimes.
If you're planning to drop a subject in yr12, I'd say drop BIO and pick up 4unit maths. Bio is very time consuming and 100% memorisation.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Personally, i think that Chem is easier for me to understand. Physics can be a bit tricky sometimes.
If you're planning to drop a subject in yr12, I'd say drop BIO and pick up 4unit maths. Bio is very time consuming and 100% memorisation.
Also, bio is shit :lol:

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
So in terms of Japanese, go for it! I am doing German continuers and thinking of extension. It's one of those subjects that you just loooove and really has DIRECT options to use in the future! Also, you get to watch anime and read japanese things and watch shows in japanese as 'study' and 'research' haha. And because you like it, it you will probably put in a considerable amount of effort and thus get good marks! :D My tip with languages is to try and get a friend or pen pal or someone that is japanese that you can talk to - about anything, your day, your school, what you like etc. This helps because they will probably teach you a whole lot of slang that is really fun and also because you will get such a confidence boost from it. Because your talking friggin japanese with a japanese person. If you dont know anyone, then ask your teacher and they could get a special pen pal for you with another school in Japan.

I do physics, so im really biased here, but from what you wrote i think you should do physics haha. There is quite a lot of content and stuff of course, as with any subject really, but there is a lot of figuring out questions and using logic. You will learn different methods and concepts and in exams you could have lots of calculation questions, which is just some easy math + concept explanation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)