Subject selection help (ancient history) (1 Viewer)

jathu123

HSC
Hey guys, so on Wednesday I have my subject selections. I need a minimum of 12 units so I kinda made up my mind.

Maths extension 1 - 3 units
English advanced - 2 units
Physics - 2 units
Chemistry - 2 units
Biology - 2 units
Ancient History - 2 units

So altogether I get 13 units, however the first 5 subjects are which I love most, but those in total are 11 units, so I chose ancient history to get to the 12 untis. I enjoy ancient history more than legal/economics/bussiness studies, but everyone says it is low scale. So should I actually pick ancient or legal studies?

Since im doing maths ex2 in yr12, I would be dropping biology (cause 3 science aswell as maths ext2 is very tiring) so I really need to know if picking ancient history is the right way to go.

Thank you very much

Graceuf

HSC
I don't know how it scales but I'm enjoying it this year and will be continuing it on next year as well. If you enjoy it more than legal. Your more likely to study for it than a subject you don't enjoy. I suppose it also depends on what you want to do after school. If your thinking about law, you may want to reconsider legal studies. [emoji14]

Chris_S

HSC
It depends what you want to do after school. I do similar subjects as this but I do pdhpe instead of physics. I dropped ancient for year 12 only because it wasn't related for what I want to do after school. However, the ancient course gets a lot better in year 12 after year 11 as in prelim for me was a bit bland, e.g. bog bodies. Altogether, its up to you and the scaling is alright so it wouldn't really affect you. Just do what you would be more interested in!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Scaling doesn't matter honestly, if you like the subject you're going to do better in it. Also legal studies is not comparable to law.

jathu123

HSC
Thanks for the response guys! I'll be doing theoretical physics in university (if I ever get into it). Since I do need to choose 1 more subject, I'll go with ancient history since I like it much more than Modern. Even though I heard that ancient scales lower than modern/legal, it is much more interesting than the other, giving me a higher chance of getting good marks on it, which cancels out with the poor scaling.

1 more question, for ancient history. Is the exam a written one (like the sciences), or an essay, or a research task, or an oral presentation? Thanks again guys!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you enjoy ancient history then yes :)

Good luck :)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the response guys! I'll be doing theoretical physics in university (if I ever get into it). Since I do need to choose 1 more subject, I'll go with ancient history since I like it much more than Modern. Even though I heard that ancient scales lower than modern/legal, it is much more interesting than the other, giving me a higher chance of getting good marks on it, which cancels out with the poor scaling.

1 more question, for ancient history. Is the exam a written one (like the sciences), or an essay, or a research task, or an oral presentation? Thanks again guys!
They might have all kinds of assessments but the HSC is written essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)