Work Experience URGENT! (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
Hi I am looking for Work experience specifically for engineering and have been finding it difficult so far to find any place. I don't mind what sort of Engineering it is. Is there any University student or professor and especially any company that is willing to take in Year 10 students for Engineering Work Experience?? I have tried some places and have been rejected due to being really late to apply.

Is it possible you guys could recommend me anything around the City or North Shore area?

I am feeling so hopeless and I am a really enthusiastic and keen student, but I don't think I am going to find a single place to do work experience. :(

Last edited:

MisslittleDIY

HSC
N/A
I was like you, i wanted to find a place that offered engineering work experience. But i ended up doing work experience at a hospital because i could not find an engineering place. Personally, i think what you do for work experience in year 10 won't affect much. I have friends who are doing engineering in uni now and have done work experience at RSPCA, hospitals,etc.

Good luck for finding your work experience place though! Hopefully you will find an engineering place so you can see what it is actually like to be an engineer. Best of luck!

*edit* You could try to go to your school's careers advisor for advice and they might find a place for you.

Last edited:

Simorgh

HSC
I was like you, i wanted to find a place that offered engineering work experience. But i ended up doing work experience at royal north shore hospital because i could not find an engineering place. Personally, i think what you do for work experience in year 10 won't affect much. I have friends who are doing engineering in uni now and have done work experience at RSPCA, hospitals,etc.

Good luck for finding your work experience place though! Hopefully you will find an engineering place so you can see what it is actually like to be an engineer. Best of luck!

*edit* You could try to go to your school's careers advisor for advice and they might find a place for you.
May as well do something easy at the local pharmacy or library but that will be my last resort. Hopefully I can find some Engineering place soon.

I asked my career's advisor many times to help me find an engineering place but he said he can't help me, and that I have to put some effort and find something myself. For the last 5 weeks I haven't found really anything. So I am still on the lookout.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
This stuff is rare to come by and competitive to boot, most students are just as keen as you when they apply. Starting late applications doesn't help either. I would use any contacts you might have to lend something relevant in engineering, this could be one of your friends dad working at an engineer company or something, or they might know a friend etc.. ask around like that or basically just contact your local engineering firms (probably consulting types) to see if you can do some work experience with them. Otherwise give up and go easy - as someone mentioned previously year 10 experience isn't much at all in the grand scheme of things.

Papercutter

HSC
Hi, I did my work experience at USYD with the Civil Engineering department. This was during April so it was early this year, but the applications came out during March. I'm pretty sure they'll open up applications again next year, and although its meant for Year 10 students, dont let that stop you from applying next year in Year 11 (two of the students that made it in were Year 12s).

Here is the old link for this year, maybe check again in say 8 or so months and see if they update it for 2016.

http://sydney.edu.au/engineering/high-school/work-experience.shtml

Spiderman000

HSC
Work Experience is a golden opportunity to explore, analyse and stimulate your academic interests. I want to be a lawyer. I called up about 35 legal firms. One of them worked. Go on google maps and call as many places as you can. I'm sure something will work out. Good luck.

Spiderman000

HSC
Does USYD have work experience in the law or business faculty. I could not find much on the internet. How do i apply? Thanks.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Does USYD have work experience in the law or business faculty. I could not find much on the internet. How do i apply? Thanks.
Universities in general are highly reluctant to offer work experience for a very short amount of time to people in year 10, in general the only way you can get a job-even an unpaid one at your age in a uni would be through family connections.

Killua101

HSC
local dentist, helps if u want to go into med or dentistry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)