Prelim Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

ashaaaa

HSC
Hi all. I'm about to choose my subjects for Year 11 and I just have a few questions. The subjects I intend to take are:

English Advanced
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Business Studies/Economics

My first question is, is it bad to do all three sciences?

My second question is should I do business studies or economics? I did very well in commerce in Year 10 but I'm unsure of whether I should do business studies or economics.

Thanks guys.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. No if that is where your interests/talents lie.
2.Economics is more logical then Business Studies, and even you find conceptualising economic concepts challenging I'd recommend you stay away from Economics.
Probably easier to gain a band 6 in Business Studies then Economics. I found Economics more interesting then Business Studies,and most of my cohort did end up dropping economics compared to business studies which barely any one dropped.
Which area/topic did you find more enjoyable in year 10/9 commerce?
I'd have a look at the HSC notes for both Business Studies/Economics to see which one looks more interesting.

Occupied

HSC
N/A
Hi all. I'm about to choose my subjects for Year 11 and I just have a few questions. The subjects I intend to take are:

English Advanced
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

My second question is should I do business studies or economics? I did very well in commerce in Year 10 but I'm unsure of whether I should do business studies or economics.

Thanks guys.
think of it this way
6 units of ur needed 13 units r science, so half of ur studying time would be studying science. can u rly dedicate so much time to sciences? i.e do u enjoy it lol
some schools go full on retard and dont let u take all three and im assuming theres a reason for that. at the end of the day its really up to u - do u like science enough to do all 3? alot of my friends who started off with three, ended up dropping one because they couldn't cope.

eco scales higher than business, not that scaling should be ur main discriminant (doesnt hurt to take it into account tho :) )

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
1. My first question is, is it bad to do all three sciences?

No, it is definitely not bad to do all three Sciences, if you're capable and strong in Year 10 Science (above 90%), I'm definite you can handle Science. However, the workload, especially coming from Biology will be very heavy. Likewise, Chemistry and Physics are very challenging since they are one of the difficult subjects in senior school.

If you're motivated and know you will not get tired from the workload, the constant needing to study, the constant report writing for practicals and can keep up with learning content, go for it.

2. My second question is should I do business studies or economics? I did very well in commerce in Year 10 but I'm unsure of whether I should do business studies or economics.
I say this to every little junior student I see. I feel like, AND I KNOW that Commerce is not a very good or clear indicator of whether you will be good in either Business Studies or Economics. Rather, I feel like its a little closer to Legal Studies, but yet again, its merely a dab on the tongue in terms of tasting HSIE IN GENERAL. I believe, having taken Commerce when I was in Year 9 and 10, whilst doing Accelerated Business Studies in Year 9 and 10, was very different.

Commerce will be a clear indicator of whether you are interested in Social Sciences. Not if you're good at them. And thats the honest and blunt truth I tell everyone who feels because they are good at Commerce, they will be good at senior subjects.

By far, Economics is the hardest and more challenging subject in comparison to Business Studies and Legal Studies.

I don't quite remember Year 11 Business, seeing I did that 2 years ago, but I am doing Preliminary Economics right now.
The difference between Business is that, although both subjects are very content heavy and essay reliant, Economics is much more demanding in terms of the quality of your essay writing. Whilst Business Studies is more of a breeze and more of a relaxing subject, it requires less basic maths and formulas (which is covered in HSC Finance) than Economics. Another difference I found is that, Business Studies is very focused on what happens within the four sectors of a business (Operations - AKA manufacturing, Marketing, Finance and Human Resources) whilst Economics studies the Economy itself and involves lots of statistics.

Personally, seeing your subjects (your 3 Sciences), adding Economics will be another giant workload because it demands a student to constantly revise workbook questions and practise essays. And if you don't apply that practise in Year 11 and not invest time into cultivating those skills, Economics will be a difficult path and possibly a burden in Year 12, which is what you don't want. In conjunction with your 3 Sciences, Business will be a more relaxing subject, because whilst it does require lots of work, its concepts are much easier to memorise and learn than Economics.

eco scales higher than business, not that scaling should be ur main discriminant (doesnt hurt to take it into account tho :) )
No subject will scale well if you don't perform well in them. Its not worth taking into account if you have absolutely no skill in the intricate essay writing of Economics.

Last edited:

blackbird_14

HSC
If you like science and you're prepared to spend half your senior life in science- go for it. The test layout is usually pretty similar to an extent (well in my school) and the skills are somewhat transferable (like drawing a graph etc.), but sometimes the assessments fall very close to each other. It can be quite a heavy workload, but again, if you love science then the sky's the limit

Killua101

HSC
yup, very good subjects and no u wont struggle or pass out with those subjects. Coming from personal experience, i did the same subjects as u did and yes i did economics instead of business just because i was more interested in it.
However, you HAVE to be willing to put all ur effort from day 1 in yr 11 and revise/work consistently throughout the year. And yes, this probably means arounf 4-5 hours of study everyday, or perhaps even more.
Um yea, its not hard to do well in ur subjects, and if u really keen to do well in the hsc, try working hard in maths 3 unit and pick 4 unit maths with dropping bio. This way, u ll have all the highest scaling subjects which can boost ur atar massively. (thats what im doing rn)

ashaaaa

HSC
yup, very good subjects and no u wont struggle or pass out with those subjects. Coming from personal experience, i did the same subjects as u did and yes i did economics instead of business just because i was more interested in it.
However, you HAVE to be willing to put all ur effort from day 1 in yr 11 and revise/work consistently throughout the year. And yes, this probably means arounf 4-5 hours of study everyday, or perhaps even more.
Um yea, its not hard to do well in ur subjects, and if u really keen to do well in the hsc, try working hard in maths 3 unit and pick 4 unit maths with dropping bio. This way, u ll have all the highest scaling subjects which can boost ur atar massively. (thats what im doing rn)
Thank you so much!! A lot of people were discouraging me from taking these subjects but I chose them anyway because I liked them. They said that the assessment tasks would be around the same time so it would be difficult to study for them and manage. Any tips on how to work around that? Thanks again :)

whacky

HSC
Thank you so much!! A lot of people were discouraging me from taking these subjects but I chose them anyway because I liked them. They said that the assessment tasks would be around the same time so it would be difficult to study for them and manage. Any tips on how to work around that? Thanks again :)
Hi! I also do the three sciences. Very rarely have I encountered a conflict with the science assessment tasks in my school. However, if it does arise, I believe that you should start chipping away at the assignment, on the day it has been handed out to the class. This will drastically mitigate any chance of you doing any last minute work, and gives you time to ask your teachers for any assistance.

All in all, if you are passionate about science, then the three sciences are an excellent set of subjects :)

LoveLetters is right. Economics is a much more challenging course in comparison to Business Studies. Now if you combine that with Extension maths and the three sciences, you will be very busy and it will be a challenging task. So pick carefully!

Good Luck, and all the best! :)

calamebe

HSC
I'm doing all sciences, from others that I've heard from if you're good at and love science, you'll do good and enjoy it.

axwe7

HSC
N/A

English Advanced
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Thanks guys.
Awesome subjects, I'm doing the same except 12 units (no Business or Eco, instead SOR I).

You look pretty fine for Year 11. Like me,lol 3 science nerds :headbang:
BTW, just out of curiosity, which school do you go to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)