2U, General or no maths at all? (1 Viewer)

dudedownthedrain

HSC
So, it's that time of Year 10. I need to choose my subjects by the end of this week but I still have no idea as to what math subject I want to do. I'm considering doing either Architecture in uni, only problem is that I've only seen three Arch courses where 2U maths isn't assumed knowledge, one of which had a cut off of 95 last year.

Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but I'm in a selective class doing 5.3 topics, constantly getting Cs. I'm considering doing General, but I doubt that would get me the required knowledge for uni, and my family's not exactly in a financially stable enough state to be willing to pay extra for a bridging course (my parents would probably just rant on and on about how I should have taken 2U instead haha...).

Then again, if I skip out on maths altogether, I could just forget about my dreams of being an architect and go for interior design instead, which thankfully, the UTS course I'm eyeing doesn't need maths (it's the only interior design course I've seen that's taught at one of my goal unis, so it's either get in or not for me.).

So... *title question*?

BQs: Is it worse to flunk General or 2U? And is it better to do well in General than get a mediocre mark in 2U?

blackbird_14

HSC
General maths has different content to mathematics- it focuses more on real life applications than algebra type stuff. So if you're considering a career in architecture mathematics would be more beneficial.

You could always take mathematics then drop down to general if you are struggling.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
you could do general and then do a bridging course to get into the required course, although that may you less like for preselection.
If there is a particular course in mind, and you don't have the required maths level, maybe consult with the university about doing a bridging course.

for architecture, 2u would be useful, graphics or engineering would also be useful as would physics.
but do subjects you both enjoy and think you can do well at. and make sure at the very least you do general, if you don't do 2u maths.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Try doing 2 unit, you may surprise yourself.

Its a lot worse to flunk general mathematics, then 2 unit.

And you can always do 12 units, and 2 units will not count in year 12 if mathematics isn't your strong point.

dudedownthedrain

HSC
Thanks for the input everyone! Right now I'm leaning more toward 2U. Shouldn't be too difficult to catch up in General if I decide to drop 2U in the middle of the year, right?

wooyefan

HSC
It's better to do well in General then with a mediocre mark in 2U. An 60-70% in 2U is easily an 80-90% in General.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Yr 10 maths was a real joke.
You can forget your yr10 maths when you do 2u (no more of those crappy whisker graph bullshit )

But don't forget everything lol

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Wow, a selective class that offers General maths? Like, selective school? Because when I mentioned "General Maths" to my boyfriend, he legitimately asked me what that was.

Now, I did terrible in 5.3 in Year 9 and 10 :) I was never great at maths, and it still needs work even now. As a Extension 1 student, I find 2U very very easy to the point where my marks in Year 11 have been 90%, 90% then 98%. Its much easier in comparison to Year 10 5.3 maths :)

Don't follow what Sien said, you will need stuff from Year 9/10 in Year 11 maths :)

I recommend not doing General, its real life maths from what I've heard.

I also disagree with Wooyefan, doing okay in 2U, lets say okay being 75% + (my own personal standards of what is mediocre), is a lot better than General. Unless of course, you're going to place first in General, with a cohort that is decently strong, and with a decent assessment mark (internal) and external mark (being above 90% in my estimate). We can't really judge when every one is different, everyone has a different cohort and a different standard they want to reach. Additionally, skills in General and 2U are actually very different.

What is mediocre to you? Because for me, I expect myself to always be above 90% in 2U.
General maths and 2U/3U are very different, I have seen General maths, and whilst it is reasonably easy, I find it difficult because I'm no longer conditioned to answer questions like that. Matter-o-factly, I over-think because of all these formulas and higher-level maths skills I attain from 2U/3U.

All in all, give 2U a try, you have 3 terms to have a feel for it in 2016.

Last edited:

dudedownthedrain

HSC
Wow, a selective class that offers General maths? Like, selective school? Because when I mentioned "General Maths" to my boyfriend, he legitimately asked me what that was.
Selective class in a partially selective school :redface:

But wow, that was actually pretty inspirational, thanks XD

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Selective class in a partially selective school :redface:

But wow, that was actually pretty inspirational, thanks XD
Oh right! Those partial selective schools.

Good luck, I recommend 2U, but if you feel like General or not maths is your route, go for it. Personally, doing no maths and lower-level maths is foreign to me. In fact, my parents never even mentioned an option of General or 2U, even for someone who struggled through Year 9/10 maths (got around solid 70% average with the occasional 100%), I eventually got through those barriers, lots of practice and now 2U is all about making sure I don't make little cringey mistakes, rather than thinking its hard.

I believe that with lots of practice which you chose to do in your free time, will assist you and also make you able to take any level of maths

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Maths General would lead you to nothing. Do 2U. At least it will keep your hopes for Architecture alive.

Are you so hopeless at Maths? Is it you, your teacher, or what?? Have you put in the serious efforts into your Maths?

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

Now, I did terrible in 5.3 in Year 9 and 10 :) I was never great at maths, and it still needs work even now. As a Extension 1 student, I find 2U very very easy to the point where my marks in Year 11 have been 90%, 90% then 98%. Its much easier in comparison to Year 10 5.3 maths :)

Don't follow what Sien said, you will need stuff from Year 9/10 in Year 11 maths :)

I recommend not doing General, its real life maths from what I've heard.

I also disagree with Wooyefan, doing okay in 2U, lets say okay being 75% + (my own personal standards of what is mediocre), is a lot better than General. Unless of course, you're going to place first in General, with a cohort that is decently strong, and with a decent assessment mark (internal) and external mark (being above 90% in my estimate). We can't really judge when every one is different, everyone has a different cohort and a different standard they want to reach. Additionally, skills in General and 2U are actually very different.

What is mediocre to you? Because for me, I expect myself to always be above 90% in 2U.
General maths and 2U/3U are very different, I have seen General maths, and whilst it is reasonably easy, I find it difficult because I'm no longer conditioned to answer questions like that. Matter-o-factly, I over-think because of all these formulas and higher-level maths skills I attain from 2U/3U.

All in all, give 2U a try, you have 3 terms to have a feel for it in 2016.
I phrased my wording pretty badly, what I mean is that you don't need too much of 5.3 to do well in 2u. You can forget your stem and leaf, whisker graph etc you won't need it, so don't waste your time mastering it.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I phrased my wording pretty badly, what I mean is that you don't need too much of 5.3 to do well in 2u. You can forget your stem and leaf, whisker graph etc you won't need it, so don't waste your time mastering it.
LOL 3U doesn't even need the stem and leaf or the tree diagrams, isn't that used in General?

I just thought you meant disregard Algebra, which is such an important basic in 2U and 3U maths XD

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I recommend giving 2U (Advanced) Mathematics a shot at the start of Year 11.

Things can change (for the better) from Year 10 to Year 11 and even, from Year 11 to Year 12.

Cs at the 5.3 level doesn't spell the end of your Maths career. I'm sure that there's a good number of students in your position in the past who improved in maths and eventually ended up with band 5s or band 6s in HSC 2U Mathematics.

You'll have 12 units (at least) in Year 11.

If you feel that you can't handle 2U, during Year 11, you can always drop down to General in Year 12 or completely drop Mathematics altogether after Year 11 (leaving you with the minimum requirement of 10 units in Year 12).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)