Chemistry or Engineering (1 Viewer)

HJPGaming1108

HSC
So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I am choosing my subjects for next year (Year 11), and I was sure about them until just a couple of days ago:

Maths
Maths Extension 1
English Advanced
Physics
French Continuers
Software Design & Development
Engineering Studies

But I realised that maybe Chemistry would be a better pick for my final subject. I want to either go into science or engineering after school, so either would help. I am going to be picking up Maths Extension 2 and quite possibly French Extension, so it would most likely be dropped for Year 12. My parents have been pressuring me to do another science, so it is partially that, but I am also doing well in the Chemistry part of Junior Science. My school does Engineering as a Year 9/10 elective, which I did not do, so I would be behind in it, even though I have been told that it is not a prerequisite.

Please help!!

astroman

HSC
warning, the engineering course is extremely broad and time consuming to learn. Most year 11 topics lay the foundation for year 12 topics and it is crucial you understand these to excel in the HSC course, if you don't you will struggle. Also, engineering is a subject reliant on an excellent teacher, if you don't have a good teacher, do not pick it, the course will be a nightmare and the HSC will be the death of you. I suggest you look at past paper for the HSC courses and see which you think you can learn, practice moments questions a lot if you want to do good in engineering.

As for chemistry, i don't know, i don't do it.

turntaker

HSC
So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I am choosing my subjects for next year (Year 11), and I was sure about them until just a couple of days ago:
But I realised that maybe Chemistry would be a better pick for my final subject. I want to either go into science or engineering after school, so either would help. I am going to be picking up Maths Extension 2 and quite possibly French Extension, so it would most likely be dropped for Year 12. My parents have been pressuring me to do another science, so it is partially that, but I am also doing well in the Chemistry part of Junior Science. My school does Engineering as a Year 9/10 elective, which I did not do, so I would be behind in it, even though I have been told that it is not a prerequisite.

Please help!!
If you are going into science or engineering I would pick Chemistry.
I did find the year 11 very interesting. (more than the year 12 course now).
Also if you end up going into science things will be a little easier since chemistry is a subject for 1st year science.
From what I have heard engineering studies is not as exciting as it sounds. (like most TAS subjects)

I do Chemistry now and It is not my most favourite subject at the moment. I did like the 1st topic but I do not like acids at all which is a really big part of year 12 chemistry.
If I could go back, i would have dropped to senior science in year 11.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently, engineering studies would save you a lot of effort in uni-because you relearn some of the stuff in engineering subjects, but then the same could be said of chemistry if you do choose to pursue chemistry as a major as a part of a science degree, perhaps you could even consider double degrees like science and engineering?

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I do both engineering studies and chemistry so i can give you first-hand insight into both :)

I agree completely with what astroman said about engineering, the content is quite broad and heavy and does require some rote-learning. The year 11 course is crucial as concepts such as moments continue from year 11 to year 12. I asked my teacher about the maths and calculations behind it and how much more difficult it gets, and he said that it doesn't get exponentially more difficult but does get more tricky thus you need to master the year 11 part in order to do year 12 part. I know first-hand the importance of having a good teacher, for the first term i had an absolute JOKE of a teacher who didn't know jackshit and could not teach and our class collectively had to work out how to do a moments question (which we had no idea how to do) by ourselves. BUT, someone must have heard our prayers cause he got sacked and we now have an awesome, young qualified teacher. BTW, you won't be behind if you don't do the year 9/10 elective, i didn't do it and i'm topping the class :p. I don''t think the junior year engineering doesn't go as deep as the senior year one and so it's not a prerequisite.

Chemistry is again another course that requires mastery of the year 11 course to do well in the HSC course. Maybe not all the content explicitly but definitely the calculations for moles, molarity, balancing equations etc. are vital for the HSC. And again, a good teacher is required in order to teach the calculations thoroughly as it can get quite confusing and hairy.

I personally love both of these subjects due to the practicality of both of their contents in real-life.
At the end of the day it's all up to you, both of these subjects fit your criteria of being sciency but they are both demanding.

Good luck and all the best for senior year. :)

HJPGaming1108

HSC
Thanks guys, subject selection is due in tomorrow, and I think I'm going to put down Chemistry. I wrote down all of the pros and cons of each course, and Chemistry won out due to its possible atar bonus points

astroman

HSC
Thanks guys, subject selection is due in tomorrow, and I think I'm going to put down Chemistry. I wrote down all of the pros and cons of each course, and Chemistry won out due to its possible atar bonus points
good choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)