Music One or Two? (Year 11) (1 Viewer)

pigeon1232

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I'm a bit torn in terms of choosing subjects for Year 11; so far I've got:
- Ext. 1 Maths
- Ext. 1 English
- Chemistry
- Economics

What's particularly giving me grief is choosing Music One or Music Two.

I do AMEB exams and will be doing my Grade 8 Clarinet later this year, and I am also currently doing Grade 3 Musicianship.

Looking over the course descriptions, I find that the content of Music One appeals more because I'm not that interested in Australian Music of the Last 25 Years. However what's putting me off Music 1 is the scaling, and the fact that if I do mediocre in it, it'll slip down.

ALSO: a friend of mine told me that Music 1 is more suited towards vocalists and instrumentalists tend to worse (especially in the viva voce, as it's catered towards vocalists) Is this true?

I'm not interested in a career in music and, can anyone offer their advice?

Davod

HSC
N/A
If you've done your grade 8 clarinet now you won't have any trouble with the performance in either subject, so it all comes down to your level of theory and if you can do the sight-singing in music 2. Personally I did music 2 in Year 11 but I dropped to Music 1 in year 12 - I had done grade 8 in bass guitar in year 11 so I was OK at performance but terrible for theory, and I struggled in the music 2 written tests (I also couldn't do the sight-singing to save my life). Music 1 was really easy though and often our class wasted a lot of lessons although we all still did well. As long as you put in the hours at home for your performances (or compositions), the theory is really easy (it's just listening tasks) so as long as you learn everything for the 6 concepts and practise responses for different types of music, then you won't struggle at all.

blackbird_14

HSC
Actually, music 1 is a 2 unit course, it's a misleading title. Music 1 has very little theory, it's basically all performance, whilst music 2 has much more theory compared to performances. So if you suck at musicianship/theory stuff then I'd recommend you do music 1

Graceuf

HSC
I'm doing music 1 this year and I don't think it's really aimed towards vocalists more than anything else. I play piano and clarinet but I play piano for assessments and stuff.

I've only done one viva voce which was on our Jazz topic and I don't think the vocalists went any better than anyone else. Vivas are based on the research you put in, in my experience with the Jazz viva I've done and the musical theatre one I have coming up, knowing the concepts of music and being able to analyse songs will be the biggest help. Although I'm not sure if it changes depending on the topic you do.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually, music 1 is a 2 unit course, it's a misleading title. Music 1 has very little theory, it's basically all performance, whilst music 2 has much more theory compared to performances. So if you suck at musicianship/theory stuff then I'd recommend you do music 1
My mistake, I'll amend it.

Blue Tongue

HSC
I am also facing the same dilemma about choosing between Music 1 and Music 2.
One question: is it true that if I want to choose Music extension in Year 12, I must complete Music 2 in Year 11?
:skip:

blackbird_14

HSC
I am also facing the same dilemma about choosing between Music 1 and Music 2.
One question: is it true that if I want to choose Music extension in Year 12, I must complete Music 2 in Year 11?
:skip:
Yup. You have to be doing Music 2 (or have done previously) in order to take music extension in Year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)