6U Languages (1 Viewer)

yoshidino

HSC
I'm in year 10 and have picked the following for year 11:
- 3U English and Maths
- German
- French
- Economics

I saw another thread about taking two beginner's languages for HSC and I guess this is kind of related.
I want to take 3U German and 3U French, and potentially sacrifice a unit of either English or Maths (or Economics depending on how well/bad that goes) to fit everything in.
I want to know if anyone's done this before, and if there are any specific reasons why I shouldn't do this. I've asked friends and other people, including my careers advisor, and the general consensus I got was "it should be interesting". So, I just want to know if there will be any "practical harms", not just that this subject cominbation will be "interesting".

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in year 10 and have picked the following for year 11:
- 3U English and Maths
- German
- French
- Economics

I saw another thread about taking two beginner's languages for HSC and I guess this is kind of related.
I want to take 3U German and 3U French, and potentially sacrifice a unit of either English or Maths (or Economics depending on how well/bad that goes) to fit everything in.
I want to know if anyone's done this before, and if there are any specific reasons why I shouldn't do this. I've asked friends and other people, including my careers advisor, and the general consensus I got was "it should be interesting". So, I just want to know if there will be any "practical harms", not just that this subject cominbation will be "interesting".
You shouldn't do 2 3U languages: any 2U language has the load of a 3U subject, and the extension load is just under the load of a 4U subject.
So doing two languages (one extension maybe) is bearable, but two is a bit much. (Especially because French/German isn't too different in some regards to English). And if you retain 3U English, you are also doing effectively

Also remember to account for the minimum number of subjects (need to check as this will affect whether you can actually drop Economics, I suspect you can). You would be doing a 12 Unit load as well, unless you drop 3U Maths or 3U English.

I personally recommend in your case, taking 2U German and 2U French rather than extension iin Year 12, in my experience, I found that their isn't much more additional content for extension than 2U (well at least for Japanese). The only reason you have to take an extension, is if 3U Maths or Ext 1 English is not your thing.

calamebe

HSC
You shouldn't do 2 3U languages: any 2U language has the load of a 3U subject, and the extension load is just under the load of a 4U subject.
So doing two languages (one extension maybe) is bearable, but two is a bit much. (Especially because French/German isn't too different in some regards to English). And if you retain 3U English, you are also doing effectively

Also remember to account for the minimum number of subjects (need to check as this will affect whether you can actually drop Economics, I suspect you can). You would be doing a 12 Unit load as well, unless you drop 3U Maths or 3U English.

I personally recommend in your case, taking 2U German and 2U French rather than extension iin Year 12, in my experience, I found that their isn't much more additional content for extension than 2U (well at least for Japanese). The only reason you have to take an extension, is if 3U Maths or Ext 1 English is not your thing.
Well he can see how he goes in year 11 and make the decision whether to pick up extension or not next year.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Well he can see how he goes in year 11 and make the decision whether to pick up extension or not next year.
of course..., even then I still am of the opinion I don't think picking 2 LOTE extensions is wise, load wise when the 2U load is equivalent to a 3U load.(If he does really really want to, then he should drop at least to 11 units I reckon; which would most definitely involve dropping economics).
The other reason is that extension language tends to be run before/after school or at lunchtimes as well (depending on school, it would be rarely timetabled into class time especially if he does more than 12 units)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)