Year 11 Subject Selection Please Review!!!! (1 Viewer)

MattDarns

HSC
N/A
Can anyone tell me from past experience what these subjects are like, or how fun they were?
There are so many options, it's really hard to choose!
My subjects are as follows:

Maths 4U (accelerated)
English advanced
Japanese continuers
Japanese extension
Physics
Chemistry

There are so many choices, I also want to do legal studies, english ext 1 and modern history.
I do well at maths and science subjects, but my real favourite is Japanese, which I definitely want to do.
Does anyone know how enjoyable these subjects are, or how well they scale?

Thanks in advance! :)

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
You can't pick up Japanese extension in Year 11 and I am not sure if you can accelerate 4unit or not...

In my bias opinion, only Japanese continues is worth doing IF you just want to learn the language and communicate yourself in everyday speech (ie saying hi to the guy who moved next door). The work load becomes wtf in year 11 and 12 but it is worth it in the end cause you can actually engage in nice conversation with people in japanese.

If you are more of a logic orientated (4unit maths, physics and chem) person, then i would NOT RECOMMEND EXT 1 JAPANESE . First, it barely has any useful volcab and only 2 new grammar points only (causative (make someone do something) and passive (not used very often)). Extension is more of a course the needs you to present a point and expand on it. In many ways it is like English.

Lets take a look at the section of the test

section one of the test is infact English paper 1 section 1 because you need to analysis a film (okuribito 'departures') and bullshit your way through how camera technique relate to blah blah themes of connectedness and coping with change. Basically shit you do in English that would compel you to impale your head in a stake (the film is pretty cool though which makes it worse as you have to deconstruct and ruin such a nice film)

Section 1 part 2 of the test is a fan fiction. Yes you read that right. Writing a fucking doujinshi... Who ever made the syllabus was dropped as a kid. In this section you would need to take on the voice of a character in movie and write a letter/reflect upon an event that happened in the movie

Now we get to the best bit, section 2 of the test involves writing an essay about issues such as coping with change and traditions and blah blah, in this essay you would need to present your '''informed''' understanding of these issues and how they effect society and yada yada yada. But you do this all in Japanese.... Yeah, it sounds hard but not as bad as you think, i actually quite enjoy this section.

Speaking (oral monologue) this exam you write out a script of your speech regarding a question and present it to teacher for 3min. The catch is you only get 5min to write script. I did my monologue this year and had to bullshit a significant amount of the 3min (this year's question: the more friend you have. the better better it is/ change is good)

As an EX-student of japanese extension I think only section 2 and oral exam of the entire course is reasonable, the rest of the test is essentially sentimental bullshit with the disguise of 'Learning Japanese'. However I would to emphasis the fact that Japanese continuers is one of the most 'fun' course you would ever do if you enjoy japanese.

This is the end of my rant

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
It would be nice to see you come out alive from all of that.

Curious, but how are you doing Japanese Extension if you're...picking Year 11 subjects? Or are you in Year 11 and adjusting your Year 12 subjects?

MattDarns

HSC
N/A
Yeah, forgot to mention some of the subjects were adjusted to year 12, in year 11 will do 3U Maths and Japanaese continuers. Thanks for the rant iforgotmyname :D Although I am fairly logic based, I'm still keen on doing Japanese extension in year 12. It's my favourite subject, and I really enjoy the classes. Although the vocab is rarely used, I don't mind as I just like learning it. Just curious, do you know anything about the chemistry course, because I've heard some say it is boring and hard, others say it's really fun and not to difficult. Hopefully the latter.

PS almost finished the year 11 course for Japanese already, just because my class moves a bit slow, so I will have time for the Japanese extension, and am ranked 1 for my year, so I'm pretty set on doing Ext Jap, we'll see how it goes :D

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Yeah, forgot to mention some of the subjects were adjusted to year 12, in year 11 will do 3U Maths and Japanaese continuers. Thanks for the rant iforgotmyname :D Although I am fairly logic based, I'm still keen on doing Japanese extension in year 12. It's my favourite subject, and I really enjoy the classes. Although the vocab is rarely used, I don't mind as I just like learning it. Just curious, do you know anything about the chemistry course, because I've heard some say it is boring and hard, others say it's really fun and not to difficult. Hopefully the latter.

PS almost finished the year 11 course for Japanese already, just because my class moves a bit slow, so I will have time for the Japanese extension, and am ranked 1 for my year, so I'm pretty set on doing Ext Jap, we'll see how it goes :D
Chemistry and Physics are the two sciences i did this year. I loved these two subjects because they teach you a lot about the world surrounding you (physics more about nature, Chem is more artificial processes). Although there is quite a lot of content in Chemistry, I think you can get a good mark if you just read a good textbook ( i would suggest conc chemistry as it is concise but have all the details or Jacranda Chemistry by gefeory thicket for all of the details (its considered a 1st yr uni book)) and read that guy's notes found there http://community.boredofstudies.org...yle-based-notes-revised-edited-perfected.html
Most of study will be making your own notes, going over them and past papers.

But i do want to say that Chemistry is all about perfection, whether it is the emphasis on significant figure or the tiny details on a long polymer chain. The marking guidelines are generally more strict and there is more memorization than understanding (more than physics which is mainly understanding).I personally am ok with this (however i do prefer physics over chemistry because its less fussy and more understanding than rote learning) so i think chemistry is quite interesting.

Anyways, Good luck with your 3unit Jap endeavors and hopefully you will enjoy it next year. And god forbid you dont have my transforming loving otaku teacher for 3unit japanese.

Last edited:

MattDarns

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the feedback iforgotmyname :D Looking forward to chem and Japanese!

sida1049

HSC
My HSC subjects are Advanced English, MX1, MX2, Chemistry, Physics and Economics (i.e. 12 units in total).

Extension 2 Mathematics is great. It's fun. It's eye opening (the first topic essentially teaches you that you know pretty much nothing about mathematics). And it's my favourite subject. It's challenging and of course will require a high amount of work from you (MX2 can take up 30% - 60% of a person's time and effort), but I feel that people tend to exaggerate both the difficulty and workload of MX2. MX2 is perhaps the most fast-paced and dense course offered by the HSC. I personally found it enjoyable and it didn't seem to get in the way of my other 10 units. In my sense of fun, Extension 2 maths is as fun as you can get; there is very little to no rote learning, you have to improvise and think creatively, critically and logically, and the last questions of exams can get extremely difficult, but you are always fully engaged with them. It's a break from the significant amount of rote learning in most other subjects. My HSC is in less than 2 weeks, and I'm only putting in 12 hours of work into MX2 a week (which is about 20-25% of my study time each week). You won't regret doing Extension 2 Mathematics. Fascinating, challenging, highly rewarding and truly will provide you an appreciation for both the power and beauty of mathematics.

I've always been someone who isn't particularly keen on English, and typically scored about 70% in exams throughout my junior years. Up until this year, my HSC year, where I suddenly finished with an internal raw result of 90%. English is often a love it or hate it subject. My god, I love all of my HSC prescribed text: King Richard III and Looking for Richard, the poetry of T.S. Eliot (WOW), and The Art of Travel (a highly engaging non-fiction book, which one may find from time to time exclaiming to oneself the brilliance of the language). The only text I loathed is my discovery text, Wrack, which was a wrack. While I enjoyed the content of English, I didn't quite enjoy the assessments. The essays require a very specific type of writing style which you really need to be skilled at in order to excel in English, and the creative piece feels too artificial and contrived to feel much pride as a composition of one's own. The key to doing well in English is in reading and understanding the syllabus and what it demands of you, which the vast majority of students across the state ignore. I personally enjoy essay writing, but the amount of preparation a lot of students do for English is among the main reasons why they don't enjoy the subject. (Also, I liked to add that I personally enjoyed and performed better in HSC English far more than Preliminary English.)

I had high expectations for Physics when I chose it back in Year 10 (wow... that's two years ago). Some aspects of the expectations are met, but others, I was a bit disappointed by. The mathematics within Physics are mostly computational, and you are taught to use the formulae provided, rather than understanding them (and hence at times, you'll just be playing around meaninglessly with formulae until you reach the answer). One of the biggest flaws in the Physics course is the rote learning aspect of it; there is a significant historical aspect of physics which unfortunately involves quite a bit of rote learning, which only worsens in the HSC. In terms of the overall difficulty and workload of the subject, well... I had a very lenient Physics teacher who never sets any homework and actually assigns certain lessons to do calculation practices, hence I didn't do much apart from regularly keeping up with my own revision notes, and the past papers prior to exams. I feel that doing academically well in the subject isn't difficult, but at times, the content can be challenging to understand (to the point where many students simply accept the theory, and rote learn responses, and teachers often fail at explaining the content and recommend you to prepare responses and keywords). However, Physics is a very intriguing subject. The preliminary course was decent, and similar to how MX2 teaches that you know nothing about mathematics, HSC Physics teaches that you know nothing about the world. (e.g. relativity, the particle theory of light, the idea of quantisation). Physics can be a very mind-blowing subject at times, which defines my appreciation for it

Chemistry is one of the more practical science subjects. While Physics focuses more on the theory, Chemistry tends to converge on the practical aspects of atomic knowledge. It's quite a popular subject, and among the favourite of a lot of my peers. While Chemistry has less rote learning in exam responses than Physics, there's a far greater aspect of specificity and memorisation (e.g. solubility rules, testing for ions and compounds, the formulae of certain compounds, steps of experiments, exceptions, et cetera). Chemistry can be a very fascinating subject despite its convergence upon practicality; e.g. the idea that when you dissolve sugar in water, it reaches an equilibrium where the sugar is simultaneously precipitating out of the solution while dissolving into it at the same rate. Regarding workload, I personally find that the workload for Chemistry is somewhat more than that of Physics, and my revision notes for HSC Chemistry succeeded my HSC Physics notes in length. Overall, I think that the sciences aren't that difficult in terms of workload, and I think you should cope it with perfectly fine, especially if you have a fascination or appreciation of the sciences, then it honestly doesn't feel like work.

Since I didn't do Japanese, I can't comment much on it. However, a good friend of mine does Continuers and Extension. For my friend at least, it seems like that there is quite a significant workload for Japanese; during lessons I have with him, including MX2 lessons, he would spontaneously take out his personal notepad for Japanese and start memorising phrases and whatnot. He actually has an app on his phone which he uses to test each individual word. From what I've seen, at school at least, he seems spend just as much time (or more) on Japanese than MX2 (and he also does Standard English and Chemistry, which the latter being his absolute favourite). With any language subject, Japanese is perhaps centralised upon rote learning. He seems to enjoy Japanese, but the language subjects are hardwork.

From the people who do English Extension 1, they say that it's more enjoyable than Advanced English and more individualistic. However the topics are a love-or-hate. The impressions from people who do Legal Studies say that it has a fairly significant but manageable workload. My friends who do Modern History don't talk about it, so in a way, that's saying something.

Now scaling:

-MX2 scales insanely high: bottom 25% of the state (e.g. a raw mark of about 45/100) receives an ATAR equivalence of 98.

- Advanced English, contrary to what a lot of people believe, scales quite well, especially since it's not a particularly easy subject, and hence not very difficult to get ahead of the cluster of students across the state. A raw mark of about the 85 (top 10%) is enough for a Band 6, and an ATAR equivalence of 97. (It may not look as great because it's juxtaposed against the ridiculous scaling of MX2, but it's better than a lot of the social sciences.)

- Chemistry is the highest scaling science subjects. A mid 70s raw mark (top 10%) is enough to get you a Band 6 and an ATAR equivalence of 98. The interesting thing with Chemistry is that it scales high despite low marks: getting a raw mark of 58%~, which is top 32% of the state, is enough to get an an ATAR equivalence of 90.

- Physics scales pretty good also; a mid-lower 80s raw mark is enough for a Band 6 and an ATAR equivalence of 98.

- For Japanese Continuers, you need approximately a raw mark in the mid-80s for a Band 6 and an ATAR equivalence of 95.

- Japanese Extension scales significantly higher than Japanese Continuers, but I don't have enough statistics to give you a Band 6 raw mark approximation, but you can probably assume it's lower than Japanese Continuers (high 70s perhaps).

Enjoy your Preliminaries and HSC!

Last edited:

MattDarns

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the feedback, it was a huge help :D Physics suddenly sounds a lot more interesting, and so does MX2. Just curious, what is your favourite subject and what school do you go to? Also congrats on school Dux ;)

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
^ Just some peasant school, nothing much rank is pretty low too lol

sida1049

HSC
Thanks for the feedback, it was a huge help :D Physics suddenly sounds a lot more interesting, and so does MX2. Just curious, what is your favourite subject and what school do you go to? Also congrats on school Dux ;)
I'm glad it helped! My favourite subject is Extension 2 Mathematics; it's fascinating, abstract, cerebral, challenging, engaging, rewarding. Followed by Economics, because it changes the way you view the news and interpret world events. The concepts taught in Economics can be applied far and wide. I won't mention the name of my school, but it's ranked in the 90s last year, coed, public and non-selective (which probably narrows it down). Ahah, iforgotmyname is exaggerating; the competition between the top academically achieving students is really tight, and the others are really good.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
I'm glad it helped! My favourite subject is Extension 2 Mathematics; it's fascinating, abstract, cerebral, challenging, engaging, rewarding. Followed by Economics, because it changes the way you view the news and interpret world events. The concepts taught in Economics can be applied far and wide. I won't mention the name of my school, but it's ranked in the 90s last year, coed, public and non-selective (which probably narrows it down). Ahah, iforgotmyname is exaggerating; the competition between the top academically achieving students is really tight, and the others are really good.
But if you account for the amount of students we have in General and standard english.... It makes me wanna cry a river and drown in it

sida1049

HSC
Wot about economics? Btw your post is really helpful.
I'm glad it's helpful!

Economics is among my favourite subjects, because it's not only rich in theory, but also a very practical subject (probably the most practical out of the ones I'm doing, in my opinion) because the knowledge you attain through Economics, will be frequently applied everything you read or watch the news, or during conversations where contemporary political, economic and social issues are mentioned. The Preliminary course is more theoretical because it seeks to establish the fundamental economic concepts and principles, such as supply and demand, elasticity of supply, the nature of competition, et cetera. The HSC course has less economic theory, but rather it converges on contemporary economic issues, such as the era of globalisation, the Global Financial Crisis of 2008, how modern governments manage inflation and unemployment, the global movement towards deregulation and reducing economic protectionism, et cetera. This stuff is really interesting, especially because it applies to everyone (e.g. chances are, your parents are probably actively checking property prices not only due to its inflation, but the fact that the RBA is likely to retain its expansionary monetary stance in response to the poor economic climate, as a result of the ending of the global commodities boom as China has drastically slowed in its growth since 2012...). That been said, I have to acknowledge the limitations of economics; it is a very non-committal subject. It's like trying to predict the weather. We use rather low modality and non-committal language, for example, "if this happens this may occur", or "this should rise", or "that could dampen aggregate demand", or "it might trigger a crisis". This is why it's a social science; because it deals with people, who constitute the economic roles, and there is much uncertainty and chaos.

Regarding the workload of Economics, once again, I had a lenient teacher who minimised the amount of homework we did. The other classes had a teacher who is wont to set a lot of homework to speed up the pace at which the content is gone through. There is more content in Economics than the physical sciences, as my revision notes for economics is significantly more than the other subjects. However, Economics requires less memory and more understanding, hence personally I found that the amount of effort I have to put in to excel academically in Economics is less than that of the sciences since I understand it easier (unlike the sciences, the topics covered in HSC Economics link up beautifully). Another aspect of economics is improvisation. If you are someone who is good at improvising and thinking on the spot, then you can excel in Economics without too much effort. In the HSC you have to write two extended responses, which sums to 50% of your exam, and they are easy to tackle if you are good at essay writing, structure, expression and improvisation (and of course, provided that you know the content to a reasonable degree). While some students rote learn economics, I personally found that the amount of rote learning in economics is quite low. Not many students are bothered to memorise essays or responses for parts of a topic which have only a minute chance of being tested (which is wise), so relying on understanding is very important. So workload-wise, while economics has more content than the sciences, it takes me (and probably many other students) less effort to do well in it because of the relatively significant aspects of improvisation, understanding and essay writing. If you are a good English and/or social sciences student, economics should come naturally for the most part.

Also, Economics have embarrassingly small amount of maths; my economics teacher "hates it with a passion".

Scaling wise, Economics is decent. It's higher than most (if not all other) social sciences, but below Advanced English. A mid-80s raw mark is typically the minimum for a Band 6, which produces the ATAR equivalence of 96. Although it's been noted that Economics is a strangely difficult subject; last year our school had 39 HSC Economics students, but only 2 attained Band 6 in the subject, despite our school has 44.5% Band 5 and Band 6 results for the subject, which is significantly higher than the state average of 28.2%.

spatula232

HSC
If you are a good English and/or social sciences student, economics should come naturally for the most part.
I personally find that essay writing for English and Economics (or any other social science) are quite different. Although you can carry through the same basic structure of an essay, the expression particularly vary significantly. I've personally found that in social sciences, being concise is much more beneficial than making your argument sound eloquent. My mate who I'd say is better than me at English struggles a lot more with Economics essays purely because the way he writes is seemingly more suited to English. Just my 2 cents, everyone has their own opinion.

sida1049

HSC
I personally find that essay writing for English and Economics (or any other social science) are quite different. Although you can carry through the same basic structure of an essay, the expression particularly vary significantly. I've personally found that in social sciences, being concise is much more beneficial than making your argument sound eloquent. My mate who I'd say is better than me at English struggles a lot more with Economics essays purely because the way he writes is seemingly more suited to English. Just my 2 cents, everyone has their own opinion.
That's absolutely true. Personally, I enjoy writing economics essays far more than literary essays, and in the context of the HSC, I think economics essays really tests you on understanding more so than English. Although from the observation of my Economics cohort, top students for Economics are also exceptional in English (the top 4 ranks are either in the top Advanced English class, or have top English class ranking). I tend to slip in some sneaky unnecessary phrases from time to time in economics essays to make it sound grander/sophisticated/insightful/eclectic/eloquent. But yeah, they are quite different in style, and I tend to get a kick out of economics essays more so than literary responses.

ivan99

HSC
Can anyone tell me from their past experience if these subject choices are good for yr 11 and will i get a high atar if i do well in them:
1. English Advanced
2. Studies of Religion I
3. Mathematics Advanced
4. Mathematics Extension I
5. Physics
6. Chemistry
7. Economics

Ps. These are my ranks for yr 10, Maths=4th, English=8th, Science=5th, Commerce & Religion=1st

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
80s HSC mark or Raw? 80s hsc mark is quite achievable (band 5) and 80s raw is borderline band 6 i believe
I would love my internal examinations/assessments to be like 80% (I'm getting around 65% ~ 75% for Year 11) and my external...sigh, of course a band 6 would be amazing...I'm not really sure what is "good" in the Physics HSC external exam.

BUT for HSC mark, an 80 would be awesome :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)