Am I going well? (1 Viewer)

Kolmias

HSC
Hello,
Year Nine student here. Can you please review the assessment scores I received in Term 3 and say if I am going well. I am unsure at the moment.

Science:
SRP: 27/30

English:
Oppression essay: 18/20

Mathematics:
Term 3 Common Task: 61/70
5.3 Test: 12/56 (I really failed this one)

Commerce:
Investment Report: 20/20

HSIE (Geography):
Enviromental Presentation & Essay: 28/30

Drama:
Commedia dell'Arte Task: 16.5/20

PDHPE:
Alcohol Assessment: 17/30

Religion:
N/A

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
'Doing well' varies between individuals so my perspective may differ to you and other people's perspectives.

However, relatively speaking (i.e. relatively between your subjects):

You seem to be doing very well in English, Science, Geography and Commerce (keep it up for these subs) - these are definitely showing to be your stronger subjects. You'd be in the A range, if we look at your marks.

Drama seems to be another relatively good subject for you as well. You'd be in the B+ range.

Mathematics (mainly 5.3) and PDHPE seem weaker as of now so these are areas for you to improve on. You'd be in the C range for these subjects.

On a whole, keep it up and keep going.

Kolmias

HSC
'Doing well' varies between individuals so my perspective may differ to you and other people's perspectives.

However, relatively speaking (i.e. relatively between your subjects):

You seem to be doing very well in English, Science, Geography and Commerce (keep it up for these subs) - these are definitely showing to be your stronger subjects. You'd be in the A range, if we look at your marks.

Drama seems to be another relatively good subject for you as well. You'd be in the B+ range.

Mathematics (mainly 5.3) and PDHPE seem weaker as of now so these are areas for you to improve on. You'd be in the C range for these subjects.

On a whole, keep it up and keep going.
I don't care about PDHPE anyway so I'm not too fussed about the result anyway. For Mathematics at my school, you have two tests each term: the Common Task (which everyone in my year does) and the 5.3 Exam which you have to score in the top 60 in to be able to do Mathematics Extension in Year 11 and 12. The 5.3 Exam does not count towards your semester report and only the Common Task does.

So it appears I am averaging an A in Maths even though I messed up the 5.3 exam.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't care about PDHPE anyway so I'm not too fussed about the result anyway. For Mathematics at my school, you have two tests each term: the Common Task (which everyone in my year does) and the 5.3 Exam which you have to score in the top 60 in to be able to do Mathematics Extension in Year 11 and 12. The 5.3 Exam does not count towards your semester report and only the Common Task does.

So it appears I am averaging an A in Maths even though I messed up the 5.3 exam.
Even if you don't care about PDHPE, you should develop the habit of putting effort across your subjects.

Like I didn't take up PDHPE in Year 11 and 12, and I didn't find it particularly important in the long-run, but I always gave it my best effort. I found it important to give it my best shot in every single subject during my junior years and this 'mentality' really helped me in my senior years as I learnt how to allocate my time between my subjects in order to maximise my ATAR in Year 12 (for example). No point doing extremely well in one or two subjects, only to be let down by your other subjects.

Yes, you definitely did well in your common task (and if this is what makes up your report, that's definitely a good thing). However, if you plan to do Extension 1 Mathematics in Year 11, it'd be in your best interest to work on your 5.3 Mathematics :)

blackbird_14

HSC
Even if you don't care about PDHPE, you should develop the habit of putting effort across your subjects.

Like I didn't take up PDHPE in Year 11 and 12, and I didn't find it particularly important in the long-run, but I always gave it my best effort. I found it important to give it my best shot in every single subject during my junior years and this 'mentality' really helped me in my senior years as I learnt how to allocate my time between my subjects in order to maximise my ATAR in Year 12 (for example). No point doing extremely well in one or two subjects, only to be let down by your other subjects.

Yes, you definitely did well in your common task (and if this is what makes up your report, that's definitely a good thing). However, if you plan to do Extension 1 Mathematics in Year 11, it'd be in your best interest to work on your 5.3 Mathematics :)
Mhmm this is true. Although I also didn't pick PDHPE for year 11/12, it is a good idea to work consistently for all subjects, regardless of how you think of them. It does really help in year 11/12 for consistency across subjects, which is what you're aiming for.

Honestly, you're in year 9 and you have plenty of time to fix up 5.3 maths, just please make sure you don't burn out before you get to year 11!!! While the knowledge learnt in years 7-11 are essential for year 12, the marks acquired in years 7-11 have no effect on the HSC mark.

Kolmias

HSC
@RivalryofTroll and @blackbird_14:

Thanks for the extremely helpful advice. It is most appreciated. :smile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)