Year 11 Subject Selection Advice/Revision (1 Viewer)

vel0city

HSC
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I've already submitted my Year 11 subjects, though would like advice on the selections I've made as I'll be able to review and possibly change the courses I'll be commencing next year. I'm also located in WA, therefore the terminology for courses may be different.

Subjects*:
  • Human Biology - A subject that I have found extremely interesting this year, though I only listened in class and did bare minimum study and homework. I got a reasonably good average (high eighties) and I was thoroughly intrigued by the course.
  • Economics - Reasonably interesting subject. I've always naturally been good at humanities oriented subjects and therefore excelled. Did quite a bit of study during the course landing an 88% average and in my exam, spent only 15 mins revising and got 97.5%.
  • Maths Methods - I'm doing alright in Maths this year, though haven't really applied myself. Sitting on a 74% average. Got 79% on my exam.
  • Chemistry - Finished on a 67% average. Enjoyed the course, just one again didn't really apply myself. Quite nervous for this course as I don't know how well I'll do.
  • English ATAR - Currently taking the extension course and have been since Year 8. Done a very average job to cruise through the years keeping my position in the class on 65% averages roughly. Really haven't done any study and bare minimum work for English.
*My final subject is a compulsory general Religion course.

It would be much appreciated if you could offer your advice and experience with these courses or courses similar. I want to get a reasonably high ATAR, preferably above 95, desirably above 98; I need to make sure my subjects will allow me to do so when applying myself.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Re: Year 11 Subject Selection Advise/Revision

Your subjects are quite good, but is there any UNI course you would like to achieve?

vel0city

HSC
Re: Year 11 Subject Selection Advise/Revision

Your subjects are quite good, but is there any UNI course you would like to achieve?
I'm unsure of what career I want to achieve, so I don't have any aims in regards to Uni courses. Considering a medical or law pathway.

vel0city

HSC
I would appreciate more advice. I'm really unsure on whether or not it is a good idea to choose Chemistry compared to Politics & Law where I know I'll excel as demonstrated by previous results. Though i want to keep my career paths open so I can go down Medical or Law if desired.

sleepydawg

HSC
You may study law in uni but that doesn't mean you need to have studied politics and law. Most if not all will be covered thoroughly in the first year units on uni anyway. Study what you excel at and take your time to decide on your uni life afterwards. If someone decides to study pure mathematics in uni with zero mathematics background from the uni, they will still have the opportunity through a bridging course. There are so many ways to get to where you want to be.

spatula232

HSC
Not sure how it works over in WA, but here it doesn't matter what HSC courses you do for the majority of uni courses. Some require you to have studied a particular level of maths or whatnot, but this is normally 'assumed knowledge' now rather than a 'prerequisite'. If you are worried, check out a couple of the uni websites to see if courses require High School courses to be completed. You've got heaps of time to decide what uni course you want to do, so don't stress about it. With regards to my subjects, what I was told to do is to pick what I'm passionate about and enjoy doing. Best advice I was given. That way you will have some level of motivation throughout your senior years. It doesn't matter what course you do in the long-run, if you excel, you will get the ATAR you deserve.

If you enjoy chemistry, do it and apply yourself. You'll more than likely have the opportunity to drop it if you aren't doing well; but then again if you are putting in the effort, the results should follow.

And as for your religion course, I too have to do a compulsory religion course and was hating the idea of doing it. But actually studying HSC Studies of Religion was much more enjoyable compared to 7-10 religion and is now one of my best unit; so don't go in with a pessimistic attitude because it probably won't be as bad as you imagine.

Good luck man. All you need to do is persevere and apply yourself and you'll be all good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)