Yr 9 Science Question pls (1 Viewer)

sharoooooo

HSC
Explain how creativity, logical reasoning and scientific evidence were used to arrange the elements on the periodic table.

calamebe

HSC
I can't exactly remember who or how they arranged the periodic table, but from what I remember, some guy noticed similarities between certain elements (which are now in the same group), but previously these elements weren't directly related on the periodic table. He proposed that the periodic table should be arranged by these similarities, so he put elements into the groups based on their properties. He also predicted other elements that hadn't been discovered yet. I think the guy was Mendeleev, idk could be some other dude.

sharoooooo

HSC
thanks guys :)
i think mendeleev, lavoisier, dobereiner, newlands etc. contributed to the periodic table for the scientific reasoning and logic part of the question.
However, im confused about the "creative" part of the periodic table? How was "creativity" used in the periodic table?
pls help me

sy37

HSC
i think mendeleev, lavoisier, dobereiner, newlands etc. contributed to the periodic table for the scientific reasoning and logic part of the question.
However, im confused about the "creative" part of the periodic table? How was "creativity" used in the periodic table?
pls help me
I think creativity refers to the experiments they did. I can't quite remember the details though.

calamebe

HSC
pls help me
It might also be thinking outside the box. So originally, it was arranged by atomic weight, because that's what the scientists wanted to do. But Mendeleev had other ideas, a one of his 'creative' ideas was that the elements were not related by the atomic weight, but rather, their atomic number.

sy37

HSC
Stupid question tbh, you cannot objectively determine what is creative and what is not.

axwe7

HSC
N/A
I believe his name was Dimitri Mendeleev, a Russian chemist. You also forgot to mention it goes in order of atomic number(i.e. Number of electrons present)
The atomic number is the number of protons...that's why the atomic number increases when it goes through alpha decay.

Also, in regards to the question, if you want to talk about the atomic mass, say 'nucleons' rather than 'protons+neutrons'.

:headbang:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)