Hsc subjects?!?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

FootballLegend1

HSC
Hi, Im in year 10 rn, and i rank in top 5 in most of my subjects i do. I want to do a BCom at USYD which needs 95 ATAR, and I'm picking between these subjects; 2U Maths, English Ext1, Eco, Business, Modern, SOR1. I have to do SOR cos i go to a catholic school, and I pretty much am set on Eco and Business, but is it worth doing 3U if my course doesnt require it???? Is the workload worth it??? I'd rather attempt a band 6 in subjects like Business, Eco, Modern, SOR than to focus tons of time on Maths 3U. Also if I need 95 Atar is that hard??? If so how to improve going into YR11/12?? thanks in advance

jjuunnee

HSC
I'm in year 10 as well so I won't be able to help you too much, but I think a 95 atar is definitely achievable. Bit confused with whether you are doing 2U or 3U maths because the first time you said you were going to do 2U but then asked about 3U. I'm pretty sure you need to do at least Mathematics for a BCom at USYD but 3U maths would be better if you can handle the difficulty and workload. If you are good at maths then I think 3U would be worth it

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hi, Im in year 10 rn, and i rank in top 5 in most of my subjects i do. I want to do a BCom at USYD which needs 95 ATAR, and I'm picking between these subjects; 2U Maths, English Ext1, Eco, Business, Modern, SOR1. I have to do SOR cos i go to a catholic school, and I pretty much am set on Eco and Business, but is it worth doing 3U if my course doesnt require it???? Is the workload worth it??? I'd rather attempt a band 6 in subjects like Business, Eco, Modern, SOR than to focus tons of time on Maths 3U. Also if I need 95 Atar is that hard??? If so how to improve going into YR11/12?? thanks in advance
As someone who is fairly good at essay-based subjects, I recommend you start off with 3U maths lel
It's very difficult to study for humanities in random times, whereas for maths you can pretty much study wherever whenever, which can do heaps to ease your workload. Also keep in mind that the real endgame is the hsc, and that you still have all yr11 to go, so its worth keeping all your options open early on. 13 units is fine for year 11, and you don't know how you will feel about your subjects in a years time, so dont limit yourself early

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would also advise you to take into consideration past cohorts performances in the subjects that are undertaking, e.g % of people getting band 6s,5s,4s etc.

Also consider the teachers who will be taking the subjects, as a good teacher can save you from a lot of stress later in life.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
As someone who is fairly good at essay-based subjects, I recommend you start off with 3U maths lel
It's very difficult to study for humanities in random times, whereas for maths you can pretty much study wherever whenever, which can do heaps to ease your workload. Also keep in mind that the real endgame is the hsc, and that you still have all yr11 to go, so its worth keeping all your options open early on. 13 units is fine for year 11, and you don't know how you will feel about your subjects in a years time, so dont limit yourself early
'tis why I don't study rip

chrisx000

HSC
I am in year 10 but I am doing the prelim course for ext 1 maths this year meaning I'll do my math HSC in year 11. Even if you don't need ext 1 for the course you want to get in to, most universities and employers look highly on the course and it also helps that the course scales well.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I am in year 10 but I am doing the prelim course for ext 1 maths this year meaning I'll do my math HSC in year 11. Even if you don't need ext 1 for the course you want to get in to, most universities and employers look highly on the course and it also helps that the course scales well.
Why does it matter if the Uni looks at it? And do employeers really look at your HSC subjects? (Actual questions, not sarcasm)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I heard that apparently uni gives a crap about your english mark and not so much your maths mark (if you plan to do a maths heavy course like engineering)

chrisx000

HSC
Why does it matter if the Uni looks at it? And do employeers really look at your HSC subjects? (Actual questions, not sarcasm)[/QUOTE

You're in year 10 which means that you graduate in 2018 starting uni in 2019. By 2019 USYD and some other universities will bring in that you will have to complete advanced maths and advanced english to be eligible for most courses so to do ext1 would be a bonus. I can't say that all employers will look at the HSC subjects you chose but if you are trying to get a job during uni that has a relation to do with finance then they will see ext1 math as a bonus.

chrisx000

HSC
I heard that apparently uni gives a crap about your english mark and not so much your maths mark (if you plan to do a maths heavy course like engineering)

Unis have advanced english as a prerequisite for most courses but that doesn't mean math isn't important for unis. For many courses like medicine or financial studies you will need advanced maths. Universities look highly on maths as it is a difficult subject.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Unis have advanced english as a prerequisite for most courses but that doesn't mean math isn't important for unis. For many courses like medicine or financial studies you will need advanced maths. Universities look highly on maths as it is a difficult subject.
This could not be more wrong. There are hardly any uni courses that have Advanced English as a pre-requisite. Universities do not care about your English mark especially for a B Commerce. The only thing that matters is the pre-requisite of 2U maths and the final ATAR. If you want to get into alternative entry schemes, your performance in maths and business/economics subjects matter, not so much English.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
This could not be more wrong. There are hardly any uni courses that have Advanced English as a pre-requisite. Universities do not care about your English mark especially for a B Commerce. The only thing that matters is the pre-requisite of 2U maths and the final ATAR. If you want to get into alternative entry schemes, your performance in maths and business/economics subjects matter, not so much English.
I guess it was a myth after all. Also they say all this random crap where it's like "Your english mark will drag your whole ATAR down if you do crap in it hence you won't be able to get into your uni course" (this was coming from someone that I know who previously lectured at a Uni in the past-I can't remember where)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
To my knowledge, I believe some uni's require you (for maths courses like actuarial studies, advanced maths, etc) to do extension 1 maths minimum

I don't know if this is the case for a course like physics

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Also they say all this random crap where it's like "Your english mark will drag your whole ATAR down if you do crap in it hence you won't be able to get into your uni course" (this was coming from someone that I know who previously lectured at a Uni in the past-I can't remember where)
English is actually counted in your ATAR lol

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Might wanna read your quote of "random crap" again
"Your english mark will drag your whole ATAR down if you do crap in it hence you won't be able to get into your uni course"

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Might wanna read your quote of "random crap" again
"Your english mark will drag your whole ATAR down if you do crap in it hence you won't be able to get into your uni course"
When I meant random crap I meant all the info they told me which in the end wasn't true

But it is true because English adv consists of 20% of your ATAR

Consider you get a band 2 for english advanced and a band 6 for physics, chemistry, MX1 and MX2

You're probably gonna get an atar in the high 80s-low 90s

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
When I meant random crap I meant all the info they told me which in the end wasn't true

But it is true because English adv consists of 20% of your English ATAR

Consider you get a band 2 for english advanced and a band 6 for physics, chemistry, MX1 and MX2

You're probably gonna get an atar in the high 80s-low 90s
There is no 'English ATAR'.

If you spout any more rubbish without justification or evidence to believe so, I am banning you for the next 3 months. Consider this your first and final warning.

Think about what you say and tread carefully from now on.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
There is no substitution for hard work. Just manage your time for each subject and have a mind set to learn and improve for each subject and you are there. Don't disregard any subject as each subject is very important for your ATAR especially English as it will always be accounted for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)