Ancient, geography or chemistry (1 Viewer)

bigmushroom

HSC
Hello
I'm in year 10 and have already chosen these subjects
advanced maths
advanced English
sor 1
slr
pdhpe
biology

For my last subject I want to choose out of ancient, chem or geo
Give me your thoughts on all these subjects and which ones are good
All these subjects sound quite appealing to me at the moment
I cant do 2 and drop one as my school only allows 12 units
Please tell me what you think if you do these subjects
Thanks

StudiousStudent

HSC
Hello
I'm in year 10 and have already chosen these subjects
advanced maths
advanced English
sor 1
slr
pdhpe
biology

For my last subject I want to choose out of ancient, chem or geo
Give me your thoughts on all these subjects and which ones are good
All these subjects sound quite appealing to me at the moment
I cant do 2 and drop one as my school only allows 12 units
Please tell me what you think if you do these subjects
Thanks
Hi,
Do you have any ideas about the degree you would like to do yet? (I know, it's hard to decide when your < yr 10).
If you have a vague idea, I'd make a list of all potential courses you may wish to study and check the prerequisites for each course.

If the course specifies chemistry is a prerequisite, or recommended, choose that (same with regards to the others).

For example, if you have an interest in health services, chemistry would be favourable.
If you have an interest in law, history would be favourable.
If you have an interest in international relations, geography would be the obvious choice.

That said, choose whichever you feel you'd perform best in to help you obtain a high ATAR, as you can always do a bridging course over the summer :)

Last edited:

Silky_Smooth

HSC
Depends on where your interests lie. In my opinion chemistry is the best, however it is probably the most content heavy subject out of the ones you have listed as well...

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Have a look at some year 12 notes for the subjects
Ask your self, do you think the concepts sound interesting?
2. See how your school generally performs in the respective subject
3.Which teachers are probably taking the subjects?
Are they are good teacher? Do you get on with them?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Have a look at some year 12 notes for the subjects
Ask your self, do you think the concepts sound interesting?
2. See how your school generally performs in the respective subject
3.Which teachers are probably taking the subjects?
Are they are good teacher? Do you get on with them?
Also consider your strengths e.g sciences, humanities and current or previous performance in subjects.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
As I have advocated a million times before:

- choose subjects you need rather than like

- of course don't choose a subject you need if you are not up to it
(there are some people who simply do not have the intellect to do Chemistry, Physics or 3U or 4U Maths)

- since you are only in year 10, you probably have no firm idea of what course you'd be doing at uni; so choose subjects that would provide you with wider options, so that you are not caught short when the time comes (like: omigosh, wish I'd taken that subject)

- if there is any likelihood you'd be doing a STEM course or Commerce/Economics: make sure you do Maths (2U minimum, not the Mickey Mouse ones), a Physics or Chemistry (or Biology if you are thinking of one of the Biological Sciences/Medicine type courses)

- don't think doing a bridging course for a course requirement you do not have is a good alternative (do you think a brief course is going to make up for a 2-Yr subject you did not take?)

- choose subjects that are foundation disciplines; Economics rather than Business Studies, Physics rather than Engineering Studies if pursuing Engineering (or both if you like)

- if doing an Engineering or Computer Science-type course or a degree in Physics, Mathematics or Actuarial Studies, make sure you do at least Maths Ext 1

- don't trust the universities that refuse to specify course prerequisites (they want you to enrol, whether or not you can make it)

Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with my old-fashioned ideas!

PS:
In what way would Geography help in a degree in International Relations? History, Economics, Business Studies or Legal Studies would be more relevant I'd have guessed.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
lol implication that those are the only intellectual subjects...
Gotta admit those subjects ain't easy for someone who doesn't understand difficult concepts hence they are high scaling

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Gotta admit those subjects ain't easy for someone who doesn't understand difficult concepts hence they are high scaling
My point wasn't that those subjects were easy, merely that they are not the only difficult ones.

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Where did I imply that?
Well, the question was regarding ancient history, geography and chemistry
and yet you very specifically listed physics, chemistry 3/4U maths as subjects that require a certain level of 'intellect' to do well, whilst excluding basically every other subject implying they do not require that same standard

perhaps i misunderstood you, but it appeared to me that was what you were implying.

that being said, i agree 4U maths is probably the most difficult hsc subject

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well, the question was regarding ancient history, geography and chemistry
and yet you very specifically listed physics, chemistry 3/4U maths as subjects that require a certain level of 'intellect' to do well, whilst excluding basically every other subject implying they do not require that same standard

perhaps i misunderstood you, but it appeared to me that was what you were implying.

that being said, i agree 4U maths is probably the most difficult hsc subject
In terms of scaling, it was latin that scaled up the highest, then classical greek and then extension 2 maths but that's most likely probably bullcrap

bigmushroom

HSC
Its probably out of geography or ancient history now. By the way, I want to do physiotherapy. Anyone who does ancient history or geography can you please tell me if the content is good and interesting
Thx

helloimyellow

HSC
Geography was quite good I thought. There's a bit of a focus on biology in Ecosystems at Risk, but after that it's more the "people" side of geography in Urban Places (world cities, mega cities, urban dynamics so stuff like urbanisation and urban decay etc) and People and Economic Activity (we did viticulture and winemaking). My teacher was great (although strict), and would go out of his way a ton to help us so that really helped. Case studies are important as well so just keep that in mind.

Did you do geography or history in junior years? Our school has to do both up till year 8 so you might be able to see what you like (history v geography).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)