How to learn 2U by self (1 Viewer)

Kolmias

HSC
What's the best way to learn 2U maths by myself? I want to have a solid grasp on the topics when I take the course next year so I'm ahead of everyone else.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
What's the best way to learn 2U maths by myself? I want to have a solid grasp on the topics when I take the course next year so I'm ahead of everyone else.
Here's how I did it:

1) Get a book to learn from - I used the Cambridge book because that's what my school had, I found it completely fine.
2) Read the chapters, do the majority of questions, and if you make any mistakes - do more questions
3) ?!!?!??!?!?
4) Profit

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Agree get a book

Take your pick out of
1. Cambridge
2. El Hosri
3. Fitzpatrick
4. Grove
5. Terry Lee

Go through as many questions as possible until the concepts are understood.

the_matrix

HSC
There's a textbook out there called Get Smart HSC 2 Unit Mathematics (or something along those lines) which is written by Margaret Grove. It's succinct and outlines every formula you will need in the preliminary and HSC course. It isn't the best for learning from scratch because that wasn't what it was published for, but once you learn all your basic concepts, this book will come in handy. Trust me I use the 3U version and it's awesome for exam preparation!

If you can't find it, there's the previous version (has exactly the same content as the Get Smart version) called Studymate HSC 2 Unit Mathematics which you can find online or in libraries.

Another good author is Jim Coroneos.

The textbooks I've listed may be old but trust me, from my experience old text books are much better and straightforward than the recent textbooks.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
1. Grab a Cambridge 2U or 3U textbook.
2. UNDERSTAND the concept.
3. Do questions
4. Win/Win

Dw, the kids at Truongs have already started 4U in Year 10.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Watch Eddie Woo/ Read Textbook
Practice Questions on Cambridge or Fitzpatrick or MIF for basics
Try out some challenging questions
Make sure your basics are perfect

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Still think you should start off with 3U jussayin

For 2U (I'm going to repeat what everyone else said)
1. Get either Fitzpatrick or Cambridge - either is fine (I would avoid grove/mif textbooks because they have a reputation for not being difficult enough)
2A. If you plan on doing the whole course before next year (would be fun/recommend lel) go in order of the chapters i.e. chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3...and then do the yr12 book
2B. If you plan on doing enough to get ahead (much more likely) find out what order your school does the topics in, and do it in that order stopping at the next test or next next test so you can focus on being awesome at that rather than being semi-good at everything.
3. For each chapter do questions, the way I do it in cambridge is I do a few of the regular questions to get a hang of the idea (tbh dont waste too much time here its usually very repetitive) do a majority of the development questions (they are true to their name) and do all of the extension questions. obviously if you are struggling with a concept/getting stuff wrong, do more questions.
4. past papers
5. win life

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
It's a famous tutoring place (Ngo and Sons)

Flop21

HSC
Here's how I did it:

1) Get a book to learn from - I used the Cambridge book because that's what my school had, I found it completely fine.
2) Read the chapters, do the majority of questions, and if you make any mistakes - do more questions
3) ?!!?!??!?!?
4) Profit
This!

And if your find that reading the chapters isn't enough, watch a video. Youtube "eddie woo" and you'll find the whole syllabus pretty much taught by an awesome math teacher.

Also I would simply follow the order the cambridge textbook is written in as well. And also I recommend cambridge, it seems like a well written book.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Eddie Woo explains things very well. He speaks clearly, demonstrates well, knowledgeable and breaks terms into student friendly terms.

Whichever high school kids have him as a teacher can count themselves lucky.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Eddie Woo explains things very well. He speaks clearly, demonstrates well, knowledgeable and breaks terms into student friendly terms.

Whichever high school kids have him as a teacher can count themselves lucky.
Very good strategy for video watching, also master your basics or else your fcked

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Contrary to those above me, I strongly discourage against learning through videos. Videos should be used for revision, not for learning. Later on, for more advanced topics, there don't exist any 'tutoring'-styled videos; the only way to learn them is through reading about them. It's just good practice to get into the habit of self-learning through reading.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Contrary to those above me, I strongly discourage against learning through videos. Videos should be used for revision, not for learning. Later on, for more advanced topics, there don't exist any 'tutoring'-styled videos; the only way to learn them is through reading about them. It's just good practice to get into the habit of self-learning through reading.
I guess because videos are short and such. Maybe you could try getting a friend to teach you

unifornasie

HSC
I had a friend in year 9 who was doing 3/4u maths by herself (I'm not even kidding). She said she used Maths in Focus when she was first approaching a topic, then after she finished with all the practice questions in that textbook she did some harder ones in Cambridge. Not sure if this would work for you too, but you could give it a try for 2u.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I had a friend in year 9 who was doing 3/4u maths by herself (I'm not even kidding). She said she used Maths in Focus when she was first approaching a topic, then after she finished with all the practice questions in that textbook she did some harder ones in Cambridge. Not sure if this would work for you too, but you could give it a try for 2u.
wtf, and she had no trouble with it at all. wow

si2136

HSC
N/A
Well it depends on the person really. When I started doing basic 3U work in year 10, I couldn't really understand any of the Quadratic Polynomials and Rational Functions Concept. Having someone explain it to me with diagrams and tips helped me a lot through those 2 parts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)