Student Research Project HELP (1 Viewer)

mkv_86

HSC
So I have an SRP assignment which is basically an assessment which requires you to complete an experiment, and then add all the necessities, such as aim, hypothesis, results, etc. One of the section of the marking criteria says "Student present a page that includes: a risk assessment all presented as readable prose". My question is, what does "readable prose" mean?

Much thanks:smile:

Maancis

HSC
Prose basically means not poetry, which would be useful for english, but since it is in science (i did this project last year), it means that your assignment should be easy to read, and to be written with fluency and confidence (so don't have awkward sentences with weird word choice or positioning).

Hope this helps!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1559667/ ( This is more related to science than english)

mkv_86

HSC
Prose basically means not poetry, which would be useful for english, but since it is in science (i did this project last year), it means that your assignment should be easy to read, and to be written with fluency and confidence (so don't have awkward sentences with weird word choice or positioning).

Hope this helps!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1559667/ ( This is more related to science than english)
Thank you so much, much appreciated

the_matrix

HSC
In addition to Maancis' reply, a clear and succinct risk assessment is best presented by using a table with the following headings:

1. Hazard (e.g. using dangerous chemical with strong odour)
2. Risk(s) associated (e.g. may cause respiratory issues)
3. Prevention/Alleviation (e.g. ensure there is sufficient ventilation/use of a fume cabinet)

This is the standard procedure for many schools that run the HSC Chemistry course. In some cases, a risk assessment may involve the participant signing an agreement, however it is rare in schools.

mkv_86

HSC
In addition to Maancis' reply, a clear and succinct risk assessment is best presented by using a table with the following headings:

1. Hazard (e.g. using dangerous chemical with strong odour)
2. Risk(s) associated (e.g. may cause respiratory issues)
3. Prevention/Alleviation (e.g. ensure there is sufficient ventilation/use of a fume cabinet)

This is the standard procedure for many schools that run the HSC Chemistry course. In some cases, a risk assessment may involve the participant signing an agreement, however it is rare in schools.
I was just wondering, isn't it required for a student to write a method in past tense and in an essay prose form rather than bulleted or numbered points?

the_matrix

HSC
Past tense: yes, although some teachers don't use past tense as it can take longer to write, but in exams past tense is a must.
Essay prose: generally speaking, teachers prefer you to use essay prose in your exams but there is not rule saying that you can't use bullet points.
As long as you communicate your information clearly and in a succinct manner, then it should be fine. I have a friend who got 6/6 for using bullet points and the teacher was complaining about how she doesn't like the format, but who cares lol. Use essay prose whenever possible, unless it tells you to use another format of if you're short on time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)